Portico Update Feedback

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
If you've updated your Nokia Lumia 820 with the Portico Update, share your experiences here.
Whether you're on AT&T or Rogers Canada, tell us the good, the bad and the ugly of your updating experience.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
OMG, it's downloading. WHEE! :D

It's slow and I don't want to let the screen time-out and drop my Wi-Fi connection, heh.

Oh, I'm on AT&T.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
Installing now! :)

Attachments

• WP_20121219 1.png
    WP_20121219 1.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 11
  • WP_20121219 2.png
    WP_20121219 2.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 10
  • WP_20121219.png
    WP_20121219.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 9

tpbklake

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and started the download process at 12:05PM CST and the whole process was completed by 12:45 CST. It was pretty pain less.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It took about 45 minutes all told; quicker than your average iOS update, but not as quick as I'd like. Yes, that's a "me" thing and not an update issue. :)

Just glancing through the Settings, I found that the "Keep Wi-Fi on when the screen times out" option has been added, but aside of that I don't see much. It was probably all behind-the-scenes stuff... battery use and reboot stuff. Which weren't affecting me before the update, so *shrug*. If I spot some more stuff, I'll post here.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
Phone and apps seem a bit more snappier. The new settings under display + touch are there. Also under lock screen you can toggle to turn off artist picture, nice if you are running Weather Flow, etc. Also saving SMS drafts seem to be working. Keeps your text in the bubble even if you completely back out. And some memory issues seem fixed. I had my 820 go bonkers after taking a pic while listening to music from SDcard. The process is much smooth now, no frezzing, hiccups, music shuttering, etc.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Phone and apps seem a bit more snappier. The new settings under display + touch are there. Also under lock screen you can toggle to turn off artist picture, nice if you are running Weather Flow, etc. Also saving SMS drafts seem to be working. Keeps your text in the bubble even if you completely back out. And some memory issues seem fixed. I had my 820 go bonkers after taking a pic while listening to music from SDcard. The process is much smooth now, no frezzing, hiccups, music shuttering, etc.Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express
Agree with all these. The first thing I looked for was music playback. So far, music isn't playing unexpectedly when unplugging my headphones after pausing music (very embarrassing), and I don't hear any skips/pauses like before (for example, choosing audio+ from options would cause the sound to change and kind of distort).Also, battery life seems better. Idk if it's because I'm using the keep-wifi-alive option, but I still have 100% after like 1 hour...

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Idk if it's because I'm using the keep-wifi-alive option, but I still have 100% after like 1 hour...

I wonder if the lack of that option was one of the causes for poor battery performance? I've always had great battery performance on my 820, but I'm still on a grandfathered unlimited data plan and AT&T's 4G LTE is faster than any WiFi for which I have access, so other than an initial test I've had WiFi off all the time.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if the lack of that option was one of the causes for poor battery performance? I've always had great battery performance on my 820, but I'm still on a grandfathered unlimited data plan and AT&T's 4G LTE is faster than any WiFi for which I have access, so other than an initial test I've had WiFi off all the time.
Well, I'm on Straight Talk with my 820, so that could be the culprit for my battery life. It appears it may have been a glitch though, as I restarted my phone and it was down to like 91% =(

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's 1:44 PM here now, I unplugged my phone at 5:00 AM, and I'm at 74%*. I'm an average-to-heavy user and this is normal for me. When I plug my phone in at 10:30 PM tonight, I expect to have somewhere around 30%. This is what it's been like every day with the 820 for me, save for the first 2-3 days when I would plug it in with about 20% battery remaining.

* in the interest of full disclosure, I did have my phone plugged in to my computer during the download of Portico. But as I said, the results I'm reporting have been consistent for the last several weeks.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Just finished updating, the process was very smooth with maximum time taken in downloading.

I think most of the changes have already been mentioned, the SMS draft is one of my favorites, haven't tested the call reject with SMS yet.

Too early to tell on any improvement to battery life. :)

Sent from my Lumia 820 using Board Express

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
One nice thing is that I can now type on the these forums (in desktop view) without the keyboard disappearing. Still having problem with drop down menus though ��

And I guess I will have to give it time before I can judge battery life, as I'm sure it has to be calibrated and everything again...

EDIT: When trying to edit this, it seems to be off and on with the keyboard. I turned "accept all cookies" on, and that seems to have fixed it. Also, camera appears to be worse now ��. Will have to test some more, but the photos seem blurrier now...

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
One nice thing is that I can now type on the these forums (in desktop view) without the keyboard disappearing. Still having problem with drop down menus though ����

And I guess I will have to give it time before I can judge battery life, as I'm sure it has to be calibrated and everything again...

EDIT: When trying to edit this, it seems to be off and on with the keyboard. I turned "accept all cookies" on, and that seems to have fixed it. Also, camera appears to be worse now ����. Will have to test some more, but the photos seem blurrier now...

I'm confused, are you using the browser on your phone to view the WPCENTRAL forums? why don't you use the WPCENTRAL app to view and respond on the forums??

the real smackbo

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused, are you using the browser on your phone to view the WPCENTRAL forums? why don't you use the WPCENTRAL app to view and respond on the forums??

because if you log into your acct using twitter or Facebook the app won't let you log in .. It doesn't recognize your username.. I had to open a new user acct to post from my phone

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is better, not that it was anywhere approaching bad to start with (in a non-LTE area). Photos are sharper. No need to run everything through Lightroom anymore, just the ones I really want to jazz up. Haven't run into any issues yet. Just shot this, wi-fi'd it to Skydrive, posted it directly here:

WP_20121219_047.jpg

Dawww :)

hatie123

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Been trying all morning to update my Lumia 820. I download it then it gets to 99% preparing to install then I get an error message. This last one was error 801882e8. Any one have any ideas why this is happening and who to fix it?

adamski777

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Definitely noticed a big difference on battery life. At 10.45am had 58%, and now at 10.20pm have put it on charge at 22% - pre portico would have been on charge 4 hours ago. And it seems the wifi always on doesn't mess with the battery life which is what everyone was worried about - its a massive plus. Finally feels like the phone I expected when I walked out of the shop with it 6 weeks ago.

bryan_05

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
A few days into the update and my battery life and low light pictures are worse. Full charge this morning - a little browsing and playing GeoDefense for an hour, now at 34%. Can someone pm me or post a Nokia contact to get this resolved. My 2 tries to contact them just result in telling me to turn background tasks off, which they are. And what is the point of WP8 with no background tasks?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss