So Why the 920?

Andrew Z

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So I'm debating between getting the Lumia 820 and 920. I like the smaller size of the 820, and the removable battery and expandable memory. I don't like not being able to use my phone for storage :/. Currently, I have a 900. The only benefit I see to the 920 is the bigger size, nicer screen and 32gb on-board storage. So the real question, is why would I get the 920? I mean it seems that both have the super-sensitive touch screen, and I think that the screen on my 900 is just beautiful already, SO especially easy to see in the sunlight.

Now for a filler, I was considering the 8x, but I have about 14gb of music/pictures that I'd like to sync, and the 8x only has about 10.9gb on-board, non-expandable.

alaskanjackson

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
One distinct advantage is the ability to use the touch screen with gloves. I run daily and that was one of the 900's drawbacks. Tethering is an option I didn't have on the 900. Also, my youngest (9) was semi trustworthy with my 900. Kids corner is a nice option the 900 didn't have. Call quality and photo quality are both better as well. I am a heavy emailer and use the 920 for work and home, it was worth the switch for me. Just my opinions.

Andrew Z

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if I was unclear. I have the 900, and I know that the 820/920 offers more than my 900. I just don't know why I would get the 920 when I could get the 820, for previously stated reasons. Sorry for the confusion!

Morq

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
920:
-> bigger, better quality screen with higher resolution
-> single bar, which means it should be sturdy
-> bigger battery
-> much better camera

820:
-> exchangable shells
-> card slot (but just 8gbs of built in mem that's being drained like ****)
-> exchangable battery
-> same hardware (cpu/ram/gpu) as 920
-> cheaper :)

wpwaukesha

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I just bought my 820. I had the same dilema. They are identical as far as performance. The screen on the 820 is fantastic, some "professional" reviewers harp on the pixel density of the 820 compared to the 920 but really who looks at their phone that close? I like the understated styling of the 820. Remember this is a Swiss company (Volvo, Saab styling, solid good looks) Some reviewers complain about the removable battery door, ask yourself how often to you have to get in there? The camera is a whole other deal, the 920 has a better camera because of their PureView technology, it's not to say the 820 is terrible shooter, quite the opposite. In "proper" conditions the 820 is on par with most 8mp shooters, is as good as the iPhone? Probably not but again how often will you use that feature? When it comes down to it, it all depends on how you use your phone daily. I chose it the 820 because of the features, aesthetics and overall build quality and WP8. For roughly $50 more you can have the 920, but I bought my 820 on Amazon through the Nokia website for only a penny $0.01 ! So when I do upgrade to my next phone it won't hurt as much as if I paid more for the phone. So for a penny you can have a great solid phone.

Andrew Z

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I just bought my 820. I had the same dilema. They are identical as far as performance. The screen on the 820 is fantastic, some "professional" reviewers harp on the pixel density of the 820 compared to the 920 but really who looks at their phone that close? I like the understated styling of the 820. Remember this is a Swiss company (Volvo, Saab styling, solid good looks) Some reviewers complain about the removable battery door, ask yourself how often to you have to get in there? The camera is a whole other deal, the 920 has a better camera because of their PureView technology, it's not to say the 820 is terrible shooter, quite the opposite. In "proper" conditions the 820 is on par with most 8mp shooters, is as good as the iPhone? Probably not but again how often will you use that feature? When it comes down to it, it all depends on how you use your phone daily. I chose it the 820 because of the features, aesthetics and overall build quality and WP8. For roughly $50 more you can have the 920, but I bought my 820 on Amazon through the Nokia website for only a penny $0.01 ! So when I do upgrade to my next phone it won't hurt as much as if I paid more for the phone. So for a penny you can have a great solid phone.

I mean I love the fact that you can change out the back with other OEM backs with different colors! Sure there's no OIS, but like you, camera isn't so important for me. And the smaller size will help with my smaller hands. I'm just scared about the fact that the glass isn't treated

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I mean I love the fact that you can change out the back with other OEM backs with different colors! Sure there's no OIS, but like you, camera isn't so important for me. And the smaller size will help with my smaller hands. I'm just scared about the fact that the glass isn't treated

If you buy directly from AT&T you'll get the free charging pad on the 920. 820 is an underrated device, but they priced the 920 so aggressively on ATT that it's hard to pass up.

Andrew Z

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If you buy directly from AT&T you'll get the free charging pad on the 920. 820 is an underrated device, but they priced the 920 so aggressively on ATT that it's hard to pass up.

true. The only problem I have is that I get paid on the 11th, and that sale, along with the $200 off the Asus vivo tab end on the 10th! >_<

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Some reviewers complain about the removable battery door, ask yourself how often to you have to get in there?

For me, I have to get in there near enough daily. I'm going through about 180% battery life (my primary battery is charged to 100%, secondary battery charged to about 80%) in the space of like 6-8 hours. HTC TITAN. How would that affect my choice of next phone between 820 and 920?

Andrew Z

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If you don't need the probably better camera for taking pictures, take the 820. However, if you plan to record a lot of videos you should definitely go for the 920 because of stabilization.

I settled for the 820 in the end, because I prefered the colours of the AMOLED screen, preferred the overall look of the phone and love the exchangeable back covers. (Couldn't decide if I wanted to have a yellow or white 920, with the 820 I can have both ;-)

But it was a hard decision because I take a lot of photographs with my mobile.

ya I'm kinda with you on that. I do like the exchangeable backs! Like when I want to demo my phone at work, and I'll have a cyan one, customers are going to go elsewhere for cool colors, but they can get the black from me, and buy removable backs :)

The nice camera would be nice, because, for example, last night I was at a show, and the audio on my video just sucked... I've seen concerts recorded with the 920, and audio is just spectacular. Ugh the decisions

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Based on your original post, it sounds like you might be happy with the 820 and then also a good point and shoot (Canon S100 or Panasonic LX7) for the times you want to record concerts. I think you wouldn't even be asking this question if photography was the most important differentiating feature of a phone for you - you'd just get the 920 and happily sacrifice expandable local storage and a more reasonable form factor like I did ;)

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
The camera!!!!!! there is no other cell phone camera that takes the pictures the 920 takes in dim\low\and NO light conditions. The camera is worth it. that stabilization thing makes it VERY hard to take a picture out of focus. Don't beleive the hype. it is possible. I have taken some out of focuse but it's far and few between. Very hard to produce a shaky/blurry/out of focus picture even when you intentionally try to do so.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm someone who owns the 920, and just today bought an 820 off Ebay.

For me its a couple of reasons :

1) The 920 is just too big and heavy. No its not a major issue, but it is an issue. The 820 feels better in my hand (I've used it at an ATT store a couple of times).

2) The 820 won't require a case. I mean, yeah, the screen can shatter if you drop it, but because you can change the back you'll never *really* need a case. If it scratches, buy a new one. The 920 doesn't need a case either, but if you scratch it or dent it, you're screwed. And try finding a small enough case for the 920 that doesn't make it feel even BULKIER.

3) AMOLED. I kept looking at the 920 screen next to the 820 screen at the ATT store - I really prefer the "pop" of AMOLED screens. I'm not big on the lower resolution of the 820, but I don't really use my phone for gaming or movie watching. And I doubt I'll notice the drop from a 4.5" screen to a 4.3" screen.

4) Uneven proportions. Ok, so this is the pickiest thing ever, but it bothered me enough to switch. The 820 is even on top and bottom, the 920 has a much bigger bottom than top. It just always looked a bit uneven to me.

I'll end up throwing my stormtrooper 920 up here on WPCentral to sell in a few days when I get the 820. I think the only thing I really will miss from the 920 is the camera, but I don't take very many pictures anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills