Bad 3G/WCDMA reception on the 820 compared to other phones?

Perus

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Firstly I hesitated a bit before posting this but cannot accept this difference without some kind of rational explanation.
Please view attached screenshots which more or less shows the big difference in 3G reception between a brand new 820 and a SGS3.
wp_ss_20130105_0002.jpgScreenshot_2013-01-05-21-22-06.png
They are on the same carrier, same location and cell ID (240-05) and have been this way since unpacked a couple of days ago.
Another thing is that on GSM/EDGE and LTE the signal is strong and "normal" compared to other devices.

Is this normal or should I ask for a replacement?

Maybe someone else have noticed the same?

/Per

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
First of all, it is worth noting that different OEMs have different interpretations of strong and weak signal. Is the perceived weaker signal affecting your data speeds?

Perus

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Of course, there are always two sides of a coin but the RSCP value shouldn't diff that much between manufacturers and also I just had the opportunity to measure the same thing with an IP5 and the results were the same. It doesn't affect the speed more than switching to EDGE more often than necessary compared to the other devices.

/Per

Trappiste

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 900 does the same on the 2100 band. Performance is poor, signal levels are low, and any other 3G phone can maintain a much stronger, more stable signal. They never fall off to EDGE while L900 does it regularly. It seems Nokia's antenna design has become shockingly poor. I have already decided I won't be getting another Nokia. Either I'll go for a HTC-branded WP 8 device, which though lack all the Nokia software, or move, for that reason, to Android.

Perus

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
That was not what I hoped for. Earlier I had the 920 for almost a month and noted similar behaviour with 3G reception but hoped (again) it was something else than Nokias fault.

Tomorrow I'm going to a city where they have LTE on the 2600Mhz band and hopefully it's as good as it's on the 800Mhz band regarding reception. Shorter distance taken into consideration of course ;)

If the 8X had 4G/LTE the choice would have been easier...

/Per

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3