Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigkevbosky

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    So for everyone who has concerns, questions about sending a device to Nokia for repair, I'll document my experience here. I have to send in my 820 bought off Ebay for a broken volume down button. I've dealt with Nokia for a 900 repair (also bought off Ebay) and had great success. Here's where I am so far.

Step 1) Enter the phone's serial number (underneath the battery) on Nokia's "warranty check" section of their website. It will tell you it is under 1 year warranty (which, obviously, all Lumia 820s are).

Step 2) Print out UPS shipping label and put your phone (minus the battery, sim card, sd card, and back shell) into some sort of padded envelope.

Step 3) Drop off at UPS store or give it to any UPS driver you see. It's 2nd day air, so they should get it pretty quickly.

Next what will happen is Nokia will receive the unit, confirm it needs a warranty repair, and ship a new (or refurbished, but looking new, probably not your same device) back to you. Turn around time is usually within 2 weeks. You can check your repair status updates on Nokia's website.

So I dropped off the phone at 8:30 am pacific time on Monday January 14th. For now, I'm back on a Samsung Focus. Oh well.

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    Slightly different process I experienced in the UK.

Via the Nokia Care website I went through a couple of troubleshooting questions. I was then asked to enter the phones IMEI number. A UPS courier was then booked to collect my 920 from my home address, who then took the phone and shipped it to the repair centre. A replacement 920 was sent back to me a week later.
    mine is on its way back to me after its second repair. The support log says that it has been repaired which I suspect means that they have re-flashed the firmware on it. I hope not, as it has been back twice now and Im sick of being without my primary device. Will be checking the IEMI number and if it goes again, I will be returning it for a full refund and buy another

Global Posts
    2,911 Global Posts
    Nokia changed parts in mine (the battery I believe) as opposed to changing the device.

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Well, no good news to report here. They received my phone on Wednesday the 16th (so UPS did deliver it 2 day air) - but they sat on it until Thursday the 17th. They sent me a simple email stating "we've received the device" and when you check their online repair stauts update, it just shows as "in repair".

So today I did an online chat with a rep and they're "escalating" my case. They said normally it takes 4 business days to get a phone call back, but they're putting mine as priority. I think they lost my phone. I gave them my phone number and will update everyone with what they say.

Its really disappointing because I had such good experience with Nokia repair last year for a Lumia 900. This is really odd. I'm not worried, I know they'll make it right, but I'm going on 10 days without my primary device and its starting to get frustrating.

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Received a call from "Joel" at Nokia today, stating I should have the device in my hands no later than 1/30 (one week from today). They will send an email with their findings. He tried to warn me that if the phone was dropped it wouldn't be covered and then asked me if I tried to go through AT&T already. After I told him it wasn't dropped and AT&T are pricks about taking phones back after 14 days, he stated they'll take care of it and not to worry.

So, we'll see what happens - if I have the phone in a week and its fixed, all is good. If not, I'll have to complain and will have been let down for the first time by Nokia's customer service.

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    UPDATE : I emailed Mr. Elop last night about the lack of information regarding the repair, he responded with the generic "I'm sorry and I'll have someone from my team look into it" response, buut at least it was a response.

Today I get a phone call from Hazel in some sort of customer service department, who stated the reason they have not repaired/replaced my phone is because they have NO stock of the Lumia 820 and are waiting on a new supply. So even NOKIA doesn't have their own phones in stock, and this isn't even the 920 but the "lower model" 820! I'm happy they're doing so well that they're selling all their devices, but wtf? How does your repair department NOT have any phones to ship to customers?

Oh well, I told her it would be helpful if they could keep the repair website updated with more information instead of the generic "your device is being analysed or repaired" and she said they'll take that into advisement. Whatever - I should get a replacement 820 next week.

Will continue to update the thread next week as more develops.

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Another update - tomorrow is 10 business days, which is Nokia's promised maximum turnaround time, which they stated they NEVER go longer than 10 business days without a customer receiving the repaired phone or a replacement.

So today I call in because it takes at least 1 business day to overnight a phone to someone, so they HAVE to send it today, right? Turns out they are STILL out of stock on the 820 and have NO estimated date when the phone is coming in.

Basically we're at the point where they're going to have to send me a brand new 920, even though I sold a 920 to get an 820. She's calling back today with an option for me once she finds out exactly when the 820 will be back in stock. I'm getting pretty frustrated by Nokia at this point, which I never thought possible - they used to have such great repair service.

Its also pretty suspicious they have ZERO 820s in stock. I've read about some defects like the screen getting moisture under them, so maybe they had to have their design adjusted and new stock created? I dunno.

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    UPDATE : So yesterday was 10th business day, and I was pissed that I had no phone, so after I called and *****ed again, the rep I had been dealing with promised to find me a phone and ship it TODAY. Well, needless to say, she did.

She "managed to locate" ONE Lumia 820 and get it shipped. So I've got a "brand new" (according to them) 820 on the way and it should be here tomorrow.

My advice to ANYONE shipping an 820 to Nokia for repair - don't. They apparently don't keep them in stock - ever.
    HeyCori likes this.
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,299 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkevbosky View Post
    They apparently don't keep them in stock - ever.
    Well I hope that means it's selling well.

My nokia Lumia 720 is NT working well in its touch ever since I dropped it,even when I recieve a call it takes your to select answer button nd ppl cant even hear my voice.it is still under warranty can I get it replace d or fixed ,I have read day nokia dant cover damage due to dropping is der ny wayout