Lumia 820 turns off by itself

meredot

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody,

I've had my Lumia 820 for about 2 weeks. At the begining everything was fine, but recently I've had several problems with the device as I mentioned in the title. It turns itself off time to time. It doesn't matter if I'm using it or it's being charged. I called Nokia Customer Service about this issue, and they said I had to give the phone to the service to be repaired.But I heard that the new one also shuts down. I sent some feedback to Microsoft too, but no reply so far. I just want to know if it is about the software or hardware. Does anybody have an idea about this issue?

If the problem is about the hardware I'm sure I'm not gonna buy another Nokia phone in my life. If it's about the software, I hope Microsoft will release an update ASAP.

In my opinon, both Nokia and Microsoft had better find a solution about this issue immediately just before they l?se their new enthusiastic customers. Soon it could be so late...

I just can wait for a couple of weeks, then I'm done with both.... :unhappy:

By the way, I heard that Lumia 920 and HTC X both have the same problem. So I think it's about the Windows 8 OS.

Last edited:

meredot

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Had the same problem. I simply return my phone for a replacement. So far so good.

But I think replacing the problematic one with a new one isn't a solution, the new one may have the same issue...

I'm gonna format my SDcard and make a hard format to the phone., if the problem exists again, I'm NOT gonna replace it but give it back and get my money back, and switch to Android again... (Galaxy S3 would be better...)

Last edited:

wpwaukesha

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Well that's too bad, we hope you'll stay with WP but if it doesn't work out what choice would you have? Have you tried to contact someone in Nokia or Microsoft?

meredot

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Well that's too bad, we hope you'll stay with WP but if it doesn't work out what choice would you have? Have you tried to contact someone in Nokia or Microsoft?

Indeed I would like to go on with WP, I like it, but it's frustrating to know that any time you could have the issue.
I've called Nokia Care Centre and they said they have to examine the device, but I don't have a spare phone and I need mine, so I cannot give my phone for a few weeks to the service.
So first I'm gonna backup my files and hard format my phone and wait to see if the problem continues or not. If it does, farewell to WP and Nokia...

I'll inform you all what's happened in a few days.

meredot

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
hi again,

I had the same problem this morning after hard format. It's sure I'm switching to another phone and platform... I'm really disappointed.... :(

Gurpreet1

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
It has to be the software. I'm on my 3rd lumia 920 and its doing the same thing. First 2 had hardware defects, I can't be this unlucky, I mean 1 phone had an issue fine, 2nd also had hardware issues. The screen shutting off by itself happend on all 3 phones. I've installed no software apps at all, and am running the Portico update (Rogers phone).

wilkid

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Exactly the same problem with my new lumia 820 I have had 5 days... It has turned itself off twice now and the only way to get it back on is by taking out the battery and putting it back in. Complete rubbish and will be returning the phone this weekend.

heredot90

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Exactly the same problem with my new lumia 820 I have had 5 days... It has turned itself off twice now and the only way to get it back on is by taking out the battery and putting it back in. Complete rubbish and will be returning the phone this weekend.

Do you have accuweather app on your phone? If yes, try to uninstall it and see if the issue goes on or not...

wilkid

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi. No I did not (I say "did" becuase it happened a third time and I then returned the phone). However, I can happily say that after returning the phone and getting a replacement this problem has not re-occured (I've had the new phone a week now). So my advice if this problem happens to you would be to return the phone where you got it from and tell them this problem has happened to lots of lumia 820's, and direct them to google :)

wazzer

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem I am now on my third phone and I have to re boot to get it on then set the date and time as it wont auto reset orange want to send me a fourth phone but I said no they wont give me an alternative phone so they are now going to send me a new sim card........ I have to keep checking to see if its on

NicUK

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue, my phone would turn off randomly in the evening, even whilst on charge. The only way to get it working was to take the battery out and put it back in, in my view its something to do with the connector in the battery or phone. Some people have tricks to make it work, piece of card etc, but I didn't spend all that money on the phone to have to make the battery work myself, sent it back to Nokia, awaiting either a new phone or a refund, either way I think I'll be getting rid of it.

GriffOnLine

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I have also had this problem, I managed to go from 3 -4 times a day to just once every 24 hours (give or take 5 minutes). I have made just a few changes to the phone since last Sunday (10th Feb) and to date the phone has not encountered another shutdown.

Just in case in helps anyone, these are the changes I made:
[1] Formatted the SD card (exFAT) via Windows 8.
[2] Used the Windows Phone App to copy music, etc to the phone (no copy/paste from explorer)
[3] Turned NFC off (tap+send)
[4] Turned Automatic Date/Time Update off
[5] Turned Phone Updates check off

pasqo

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks GriffOnLine I'll give that a go but I am really frustrated with this phone since it's being doing this.

If I have settings which allows me to have those on then I don't see why I have to turn them off so that I can get my phone to work, it's a software/hardware issue that Nokia/Windows should recognize and not for me to have to turn these settings off to get my phone to work.

I have only just got this phone and within a week It has frozen 5 times. I actually love the build of the Lumia 820 and the interface, I think its a great phone but simply I have had enough of it turning off and Im having to do a hard reset each time to turn the phone on.

I was certain that the Windows phone would be the better phone out of the Android and Iphone device. Sadly it has proved me wrong.

wazzer

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks GriffOnLine I'll give that a go but I am really frustrated with this phone since it's being doing this.

If I have settings which allows me to have those on then I don't see why I have to turn them off so that I can get my phone to work, it's a software/hardware issue that Nokia/Windows should recognize and not for me to have to turn these settings off to get my phone to work.

I have only just got this phone and within a week It has frozen 5 times. I actually love the build of the Lumia 820 and the interface, I think its a great phone but simply I have had enough of it turning off and Im having to do a hard reset each time to turn the phone on.

I was certain that the Windows phone would be the better phone out of the Android and Iphone device. Sadly it has proved me wrong.

Do a hard reset and then let it set its self up...

wazzer

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I have had FOUR of these phones I kept sending them back on my last one I did Settings/About/Reset your phone, out of the box It has been fine since I was thinking that was it ....Send it back !!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3