Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By jgbstetson
  • 1 Post By jlink38
  1. jlink38's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hello,

    I recently (today) exchanged my 8X for my new Lumia 820 and I love it so far. I am looking for a case for it, and wanted some input, as I have seen some pretty bad cracks from drops all around the Internet. I am about to pull the trigger on 3X Transparent Matte TPU Flex Gel Covers Shells Cases for Nokia Lumia 820 | eBay and wanted your opinions on durable, but not intrusive cases.

    Also, is AT&T the cheapest place right now to get the charging plates?

    P.S. if anyone has any questions about my switch from the 8X to the 820, fire away. I will answer what I can!

    Thanks!
  2. barne19801's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    40 Posts
    #2  
    I switched from the 820 to the 8x lol
  3. jlink38's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by barne19801 View Post
    I switched from the 820 to the 8x lol
    That seems to be the progression, however I couldn't get over only having 16GB for everything. It really is a nice phone, the 8X. Enjoy it! I hope HTC delivers updates and supports the platform.
  4. MAkhdar's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    107 Posts
    #4  
    The best deals for the wireless charger would be Amazon. They are around $45 last time I checked. You save about $10 to $15 compared to AT&T.
  5. budney's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    314 Posts
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    #5  
    Those cases look nice, but they look like they cover the mic like the case I got off eBay. Let me know how they work out for you? :)
  6. apinkel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #6  
    I'm looking for a case as well... preferably something that's not quite as slick as the stock case but doesn't add much bulk, doesn't cover the mic and doesn't impact the camera and flash.

    So far the incipio feather is at the top of my list but at $25 it's more than I wanted to spend.
  7. iainmann's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    #7  
    I've sold my 8X and now got a Lumia 820. I found the 8X hard to operate with one hand...especially the on/off button which is on the top of the device and quite difficult to push in because it's so flush with the shell.

    820 is much better/easier. The on-off button on the side makes a big difference.

    Got a couple of Nokia wireless charging shells from Amazon UK - red and blue for about 47 each.

    I'm sure they'll come down in price soon.
  8. jgbstetson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    413 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by iainmann View Post
    I've sold my 8X and now got a Lumia 820. I found the 8X hard to operate with one hand...especially the on/off button which is on the top of the device and quite difficult to push in because it's so flush with the shell.

    820 is much better/easier. The on-off button on the side makes a big difference.
    that's funny because CNET dinged the Nokia phones for the side power button. Stupid CNET.
    snowmutt and tissotti like this.
  9. iainmann's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    #9  
    I found waking up the phone using the 8X power button virtually impossible with one hand without sending the phone flying to the ground. You have to press it pretty hard and the device is so long you can only grip the sides and press the button at the same time.

    Didn't think it would annoy me to begin with....but it did.

    Pity, because otherwise the 8X is a good slim design.

    Must admit, I find the 820 very good to hold. Fits in the hand well with all buttons easily accessible. Good speedy phone. Wish there was more internal memory for apps and that bloody "other" file, but you can't have everything. At least there's a card slot for music and stuff.
  10. jlink38's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by iainmann View Post
    I found waking up the phone using the 8X power button virtually impossible with one hand without sending the phone flying to the ground. You have to press it pretty hard and the device is so long you can only grip the sides and press the button at the same time.

    Didn't think it would annoy me to begin with....but it did.

    Pity, because otherwise the 8X is a good slim design.

    Must admit, I find the 820 very good to hold. Fits in the hand well with all buttons easily accessible. Good speedy phone. Wish there was more internal memory for apps and that bloody "other" file, but you can't have everything. At least there's a card slot for music and stuff.

    I agree, the 8X was an excellent design, just a few things that got to me:

    - Nokia announcing all kinds of software updates and plans
    - 16GB is nothing after a few apps, pics, and music.
    - Power button, very hard to press one handed
    - Screen was ho-hum... I think the 820 screen looks better, but I do miss the HD
    - Potential for wireless charging with 820... none with GSM 8X (when Qi takes off and the prices come down, I will have pads in my office and at home. Battery life will never matter again)
    - Nokia apps... enough said

    The reasons were overwhelming so I exchanged here while I still could. Hopefully I made the right choice and I won't regret it in a year. The 920 is sold out everywhere in Italy, and I hate shipping expensive devices through military mail from the States.
    snowmutt likes this.
  11. charlyee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    304 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,924 Global Posts
    #11  
    I never owned or tried the 8x but I have the 820 since launch day in the US and I am very happy with it and hope you will enjoy yours as well

    I have a red and a black shell case, they are a little less slick than the back of the phone and low profile. I like them but some think it is too much like the original back cover.

    Amazon.com: NOKIA LUMIA 820 HYBRID RUBBERISED BACK COVER CASE - SOLID BLACK: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Last edited by charlyee; 01-19-2013 at 04:58 PM.
    The SmartPhone Parade (2006-Now)
    QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820
    Thanked by:
  12. apinkel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #12  
    That terrapin case looks about the same as the incipio feather case I was looking at... I may have to try one of those out. The price is much better.
  13. jlink38's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
       #13  
    Indeed, I just ordered a rubberized snap on 2 piece case from eBay. I may have to pick up that case from Amazon as well. Doesn't protect as well as I'd like though, but I guess it's main job is to mimic the feather case.
  14. apinkel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    I never owned or tried the 8x but I have the 820 since launch day in the US and I am very happy with it and hope you will enjoy yours as well

    I have a red and a black shell case, they are a little less slick than the back of the phone and low profile. I like them but some think it is too much like the original back cover.

    Amazon.com: NOKIA LUMIA 820 HYBRID RUBBERISED BACK COVER CASE - SOLID BLACK: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Thanks for posting this. I got one of these yesterday. Snap on type. Has just a little lip that extends above the screen so if you put your phone face down (in theory) the screen won't get scratched. It gives the phone a better grep than naked but I do wish it had more of a rubberized texture than it does. Overall a great little case for the money.

    FWIW I also picked up the following screen protectors:
    Amazon.com: Halo Screen Protector Film High Definition (HD) Clear (Invisible) for AT&T Nokia Lumia 820- Premium Japanese Screen Protectors: Cell Phones & Accessories
    I don't notice any negative impact to screen visibility, the feel (touch/scrolling) is very similar to the actual screen. It does pickup/show more fingerprints than the stock screen and as with most screen protectors you have to be careful applying it to keep dust from getting under it. I've only had it a day so I can't yet speak to how durable it is.
  15. jplumia820's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    25 Posts
    #15  
    I bought the 820 mainly for the Nokia apps. Haven't bought a charging shell yet, as the case i have may become useless. @Charlyee: are you using the cases on a wireless charging shell?
  16. Narr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    240 Posts
    #16  
    The wireless charging shells are 20 so I wasn't looking at getting a case, if I drop the phone I'll buy another shell; if it falls on the screen I'm stuffed anyway :)
  17. budney's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    314 Posts
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    #17  
    I am waiting on two cases, one from eBay & one from Amazon. Hopefully one will replace the cheap silicone case I bought on eBay that I had to tinker with to uncover the mic.

    IMAK Quicksand Thin Hard Cover Back Case for Nokia Lumia 820 Free LCD Film | eBay


    Amazon.com: Katinkas USA 2108054345 Soft Cover for Nokia Lumia 820 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Blue: Cell Phones & Accessories

    I didn't like the Terrapin case. To me it felt exactly like the back cover of the 820, hardly rubberized IMHO.
  18. jiayit's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    #18  
    Lol. Contemplating changing to the 8X from my 820. I have a small hand but long fingers. The 820 is too wide for me to be able to type one handed-ly, and I can't reach the back button with my right hand without risking dropping it.

    Tried the 8X out a few times at stores, the buttons don't seem to be as flush as what you guys are saying.

    What is the thing that made you guys choose the 820 over 8X? I don't use Nokia apps, none at all. I'm also spoilt by Apple's retina display, can't get used to the screen on my 820 lol..

    Edit: I have a few cases for my 820, will post pics of them tomorrow.
  19. barne19801's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    40 Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jiayit View Post
    Lol. Contemplating changing to the 8X from my 820. I have a small hand but long fingers. The 820 is too wide for me to be able to type one handed-ly, and I can't reach the back button with my right hand without risking dropping it.

    Tried the 8X out a few times at stores, the buttons don't seem to be as flush as what you guys are saying.

    What is the thing that made you guys choose the 820 over 8X? I don't use Nokia apps, none at all. I'm also spoilt by Apple's retina display, can't get used to the screen on my 820 lol..

    Edit: I have a few cases for my 820, will post pics of them tomorrow.
    I originally chose the 820 because i liked the whole package better. But i had three faulty phones and got annoyed. So i switched to the closest alternative, the 920 was exclusive at the time.

    I am now on my third 8x lol but its been good for more than a month, had this been faulty it was back to apple. Im happier with the screen rez on this and browsing the web is a better experience. As is taking photos and listening to music.

    But it does not feel half as solid, its no worse built and is very solid but is light, its the perception i guess. Though you grip the soft touch much better and the 820 was always a little skiddy for me.

    I have had one update in over a month, i had a few on the 820 so im not sure if that's a good thing or a bad.

    If you don't use Nokia apps its not a big deal in the end but i felt it was a better experience with Nokia. More apps, more commitment.
  20. budney's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    314 Posts
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    #20  
    I got both cases in my possession now, the IMAK is my favorite. The fine soft plastic sandpaper like finish make my 820 so much easier to hold. And the gray color goes very well with the black 820. The only downside is I have a wireless charging shell, so the buttons on the right side are not centered well from the extra size. But I would highly recommend the case to any 820 owner. :)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-01-2013, 09:47 PM
  2. Found the charging shells for the 820..
    By Anonymous7532479 in forum Nokia Lumia 822
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-21-2012, 02:52 PM
  3. Just got my 4th Lumia, traded one problem for another....
    By rdifiori in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-21-2012, 03:56 AM
  4. New to the site, looking for opinions.
    By bill33#WP in forum WindowsCentral.com - Site News, Feedback, Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 11:40 AM

Posting Permissions