Which SD Card to get for Lumia 820?

Tezler

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm just about to purchase an SD card for my 820. But which?

Money aside, which type of SD card should I be looking at? I want the performance/speed/compatibility put before the cost and only then will I weigh up the price difference.
Size, ideally 64GB but 32GB would be enough too!

Thanks

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Can't go wrong with San Disk class 10. The red and gray ones. Great quality. Make sure it is a class 10. I think some people have had issues with class 4 speeds and playing video. They did have some initial complaints on 64gb cards of failing out of the box but I bought two and haven't had any issues. To test, write a bunch of data to it from computer. If card gets extremely hot, return it. It will get warm, but hot is bad. Register it on San Disk site. Makes warranty a breeze if needed.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
yeup, I can't say anything different, got one and works perfectly ;) just when you use the 64 GB one, you'll have to reformat it to fat32, otherwise it'll throw errors.

Jeff Ratcliffe

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Just to let you know I've spent days sorting problems out with my music. I was using a sandisk 32gb 10. I have now read that these are causing problems and the card should be a 4 or 6 until Nokia sort the problem out. They're apparently trying to sort the firmware out for the 820? I used my 10 in my N8 without any problems but have had to revert back to my old 16gb card in the 820. Music now working fine. Sad that I have wasted hours trying to work the problem out. I have sent two feedbacks to Nokia but am still awaiting a reply.

JimiDiGriz

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm not all that genned up on SD cards. Have an 820 in the post so trying to work out which one to get also. These reported lockups and lag are a bit disconcerting. Is there a major difference between manufacturers with these things.

32GB Micro SDHC Class 6 Mobile Phone Memory Card for Nokia Lumia 820: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

For example would this be adequate or too slow at class 6?

Also this one is significantly cheaper but with the same storage?

Sandisk 32GB MicroSDHC Micro SD HC Memory Card Stick: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

topliner967

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been meaning to get a SD-card, but it's not really a must-have for me. I'm willing to wait a few months, hopefully by then they'll have fixed the issues. I'm not sure how widespread the problems are, but reading this forum and on nokia's official one, it seems it's fairly common. Currently I've got some old 2 gb sandisk card in the phone, but it's not recognized (don't have any way of formatting outside the phone and don't want to go through a hard reset just for 2 gb extra storage).

spacejovi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Can't go wrong with San Disk class 10. The red and gray ones. Great quality. Make sure it is a class 10. I think some people have had issues with class 4 speeds and playing video. They did have some initial complaints on 64gb cards of failing out of the box but I bought two and haven't had any issues. To test, write a bunch of data to it from computer. If card gets extremely hot, return it. It will get warm, but hot is bad. Register it on San Disk site. Makes warranty a breeze if needed.
There are tons of complains about the compatibility of class 10 sd cards, whatever the brand. It would be safe to get a class 4.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't remember seeing any complaints on class 10 compatibility. I do remember seeing complaints of class 4 with video playback. I've had class 10 cards in all my phones and RT for last 2-3 yrs. If there is an issue, its a Nokia issue. I have the 920 so no SD slot, so I have no exact experience with this. If the 820 won't handle a class San disk class 10card, I would be returning the phone. Search 820 forums and SD cards. See what you can find. If there is a problem, there will be some complaints. If the phone specs say 32gb, that's all it will reliably handle. Its hit and miss with 64gb cards. Some phones will actually handle them if they are formatted correctly. Do some research here and on Nokia support. See what everybody is saying.

Tezler

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I have done just that and it seems common, even as much as users saying "Nokia" have acknowledged this. I have the 820, and want more storage for music etc. Hmmm. I may just gamble with a class 10 and hope for the best.

IC Blues

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
My 820 couldn't recognized Transcend 8gb class 10 after everything I've tried. I'd formatted it, reinserted it but still nothing. Finally I tried to insert 8gb class 2 Sandisk and it works.

Tezler

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Class 2?? Really? Why do we pay more for class 10? yes faster but is this noticeable in the phone for phone operations?

IC Blues

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes, class 2. I've played 720 or 1080p music video (I forgot the resolution) without any problem. But I don't know wether or not it's really fast for saving picture because I don't have other SD card to compare with.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, I run the unsupported 64gb card from sandisk, without any problem. Recording 1080p vids is no problem, playback is good and there's no lag anywhere, except the music player, but this is OS-related (it generates a shuffle list for many songs quite slow), I've also seen this on a 920 fllled up with music

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
A class 2 16GB Sandisk was sh*t for music playback - kept giving me weird pops and stuff when playing podcasts over bluetooth. I replaced it with a class 10 8GB Transcend and its been fine so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077