My New Lumia 820 Freezes!

manwithdog

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Okay. Recently I moved from using an Android Phone to the new Windows Phone 8. A Nokia Lumia 820. (On Orange UK Contract).
Now I expected a little different from using my Android Phone, but I didn't expect to get all this number of freezes on a mobile phone!
Of course, it's Microsoft Windows 8 dummy!! What am I thinking? lol.

Okay. Not quite Windows 8, but might as well be! I love this phone, but freezing at various times is ridiculous. When I say 'freezing', I mean it won't turn on from standby. I end up having to struggle with that awful tight back cover and remove the battery for a few seconds, then putting it back in. Then I can turn it on.

Now I haven't installed much in the way of apps, although I shouldn't expect microsoft approved apps to cause any issues! I am not even using a micro sd card. I did, but then I removed it after I had these issues. (thinking that might be the problem. Apparently not!).

So is anyone else having these problems?

Thinking of ringing up Orange and telling them that I want to replace it with an Android Phone again. But to be honest, I love this phone. When it works!

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Try doing a soft reset. Hold the power and volume down button for 10 seconds (don't let go!). If it does this again, get it replaced by a new 820.

MarcXW

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
You probably got a bad unit. I don't think a soft reset would fix anything, but if I were you, I'd try to get a new Lumia 820. If you're really having this many issues they'll happily replace it. I know this might sound a little stupid but have you looked to see if there are any updates available? You might not have the latest software version. Also, some apps are problematic when it comes to random bugs like that. I used to have trouble with my 920 due to a couple of apps. I don't remember all of them, and I expect them to have been updated by now, but the one I do distinctly remember for being terrible was Words with Friends. If you have it, get rid of it. Of course, as I said, if it's a bad unit, your only option unfortunately remains to get it replaced.

manwithdog

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Just done a 'check for updates' and it said that it is up to date. So nothing doing there.
Interestingly, that 'Words' game you mentioned. I DID have that on my phone before now, but I recently uninstalled it!

Well, not sure if that soft reset idea will do any good, but I did it anyway. I'll just have to see how things go. If I get one more freeze in this next week I'm going to ring Orange and tell them about it. See what they say. Certainly not going to keep paying them ?26 a month for a phone that gives me grief!

Otherwise, I am loving this phone. :wink:

You probably got a bad unit. I don't think a soft reset would fix anything, but if I were you, I'd try to get a new Lumia 820. If you're really having this many issues they'll happily replace it. I know this might sound a little stupid but have you looked to see if there are any updates available? You might not have the latest software version. Also, some apps are problematic when it comes to random bugs like that. I used to have trouble with my 920 due to a couple of apps. I don't remember all of them, and I expect them to have been updated by now, but the one I do distinctly remember for being terrible was Words with Friends. If you have it, get rid of it. Of course, as I said, if it's a bad unit, your only option unfortunately remains to get it replaced.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Just done a 'check for updates' and it said that it is up to date. So nothing doing there.
Interestingly, that 'Words' game you mentioned. I DID have that on my phone before now, but I recently uninstalled it!

Well, not sure if that soft reset idea will do any good, but I did it anyway. I'll just have to see how things go. If I get one more freeze in this next week I'm going to ring Orange and tell them about it. See what they say. Certainly not going to keep paying them ?26 a month for a phone that gives me grief!

Otherwise, I am loving this phone. :wink:

Alright, thanks!

manwithdog

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
One other thing I have noticed since having this phone. The bottom row of buttons. (The Back, Windows Start and Search). Mine light up whenever they feel like it! Sometimes come on then go off after a few seconds. Sometimes don't come on at all. Then on occasions when they don't like up, if I tilt the phone to landscape, they light up! Can't be right can it?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
One other thing I have noticed since having this phone. The bottom row of buttons. (The Back, Windows Start and Search). Mine light up whenever they feel like it! Sometimes come on then go off after a few seconds. Sometimes don't come on at all. Then on occasions when they don't like up, if I tilt the phone to landscape, they light up! Can't be right can it?

This goes for every WP8 device. It does this on my 920, my dads 920, my moms 920, and my old 920 (which att now owns). This is "normal".

noveliahendrata

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi all.
I've been experincing an exact problem as yours!
I bought my Lumia 820 2weeks a go and they always crashed at least 3x a day. I thought the causes are from Some apps so i removed it. But - the crash keeps going. Problem solve for a while when i had to open the back case and it hurts my nail sometimes.

Now, after reading this forum-i'm trying to reset my phone by choose 'reset factory setting'. I dont know whether it would help or not.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Don't bother pulling tha battery out it does nothing!! A phone is basically a small computer that needs rebooting from time to time. To soft reset push tha volume (down) button and power/standby button for 10 seconds. Ignore whatever tha screen is doing while doing this lol I have seen peepz struggle with this and I was on tha floor in tears but felt sorry for them n helped em out. Enjoy ur 820's they are tha bomb😉

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
1308 not available for 820 yet. I checked using Nokia NSU. Also, just received my 820 back from warranty for this issue and it froze within 24 hours. Nokia didn't update firmware from 1249.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Well that's good, at least I know its out there and I will get it eventually. Nokia is replacing my phone, hopefully the new unit won't shut off by itself. I wonder if it has anything to do with wireless charging shell. I put stock shell back on and now its been 2 days since shutdown, thoughts?

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I've had no problem with a wireless shell *touch wood* n I think my phone has only crashed once since I've had it wen I was using the Skyorb app. I think every phone is as individual as us lol coz everybody experiences different setbacks

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I put away my 920 and been using the 820 recently, what a nice little unit! Its so snappy and responsive and I love the colors the amoled display shows on screen. I took some pics yesterday and that's the only place I noticed a setback from 920 (obviously)! Love the size and it seems a 4.3" screen is the sweet spot for me.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I put away my 920 and been using the 820 recently, what a nice little unit! Its so snappy and responsive and I love the colors the amoled display shows on screen. I took some pics yesterday and that's the only place I noticed a setback from 920 (obviously)! Love the size and it seems a 4.3" screen is the sweet spot for me.

yeah pic-wise tha 920 annihilates it but every other spec keeps pace with the 920. If u buy tha proshot app it makes ur pics alot better coz it gives u much more control over the settings n turns ur phone into a DSLR kinda lol

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah probably Zack, I had some trouble with a memory card as it got corrupted but since I haven't used one I've had no problems at all

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb