Minor things that are importnat but missing on Nokia Lumia 820

chandu1382

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Bought this beautiful Lumia 820 around a month back and can't help but notice minor things missing which gives a pain.
There are a lot of threads speaking about notification centres, installing apps+games on ext mem. card, file manager, different volume levels and profiles, wifi/bluetooth toggle shortcuts etc..
I'm giving a list of things which aren't discussed yet. Dunno if these problems are because of Nokia or WP8 but i am the one who is suffering.

1. Drafts: Drafts exist. But when i open a draft msg,edit it n click back, it goes to INBOX instead of Drafts. I have to click Drafts again to check out another msg.
2. Can't select ringtones from my list of MP3 on my SD card. (But hey, there's an app for that. The phone is too smart to do such things on its own)
3. Check multiple messages: Ok i can check and delete multiple msg threads. Why can't i check multiple messages in a thread to delete or save em in a different folder?
4. There are many apps for Notes. But i have Quick Notes by default. Hate it or love it i can't uninstall it. It's nice to use it but there's no password protection. Just for that purpose i'm forced to spend my precious internal memory for another Notes app.
5. Redirected to Whatsapp: Ok i dunno if this is an issue with everyone but this bug is irritating me like crazy. When i open my music player i can see a "Now Playing" square. Since it's paused i want to click on it to open "Now Playing" or resume the song i was playing. But on pressing it, it takes me to Whatsapp!!!! I thought a simple phone reset would fix this but unfortunately it didnt.
6. Music: Why can't i change the song properties like song name, thumbnail, artist, album etc? Even Symbian smartphones give me that option.
7. Properties: Why can't i view the properties of any image or video like size, date and time taken on etc.? Even Symbian smartphones give me that option.

I'm surprised that this phone doesn't provide me these things. these are the least things u'd expect from a "smart"phone.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
You can use 'stop the music ' app for that irritating WhatsApp thing. Anyway, if you want a really functional smart phone, go with android. Wp8 is not very advanced unfortunately.

snazzy_69

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
even I'm facing the same WhatsApp issue. BTW, i even face the smiley issue..the smileys that appear on the screen while typing and the ones that appear after sending are quite different. Do you even observe the same problem or is it just with my phone ?

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Anyway, if you want a really functional smart phone, go with android. Wp8 is not very advanced unfortunately.

Well, android doesn't really do many of said things either.
1) Drafts: android doesn't really have them, except when you get a call, and you want to reply with text instead of answering. I've never actually used this.
2) Can't select MP3 ringtones: you can't on android! You need to have a music app that does this. All stock music apps should, and most file managers but still, you need an app. Once you select it, it stays in 'ringtones' list forever. Okay, you can put it in the 'Ringtones' folder, there is that, but then you have it duplicated, wasting your precious memory.
3) Android doesn't even have folders for messages, all is combined into threads by name. Maybe there is an app to multi select texts, but my phone can't do that by default.
4) Android comes with preinstalled, unremovable bloatware too. You can uninstall it by rooting thought, but that involves risk, loss of warranty and so on.
5) That's a bug, I'm sure someone will fix it.
6) Music: behold, android can't do that either! Of course, third party apps can do that, but again, you need a separate music app which costs you memory.
7) Okay that I can do in stock gallery (video player included in gallery app) and all gallery (video player) apps I've ever seen. That's just bizarre.

That all coming from 3 years of android usage on three different devices, including pure google Nexus7, and some custom ROMs.
So apart from showing properties, it's not really all that more advanced :) It took me so long to change one album cover in Google play music cloud, that I just gave up in the end, because nothing I tried did the job. Editing ID3 tags for on-device music is easier, but you still need separate app for it.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

1. Drafts: Drafts exist. But when i open a draft msg,edit it n click back, it goes to INBOX instead of Drafts. I have to click Drafts again to check out another msg.
I dont see that with either of my 2 Lumia 820s. This even never happened with me in my 810 last. Probably a reset should help you to fix this.

chandu1382

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
You can use 'stop the music ' app for that irritating WhatsApp thing. Anyway, if you want a really functional smart phone, go with android. Wp8 is not very advanced unfortunately.
thanks for the app suggestion bro but i ain't using android. it's got far too many problems which **** me off.. if u want good performance you need high end specs for android. that said, even with quadcores n high specs the S4 lags on simple tasks like loading contacts.
my frnd restarts his android phone before playing temple run 2 so that it runs smoothly..

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the app suggestion bro but i ain't using android. it's got far too many problems which **** me off.. if u want good performance you need high end specs for android. that said, even with quadcores n high specs the S4 lags on simple tasks like loading contacts.
my frnd restarts his android phone before playing temple run 2 so that it runs smoothly..

What phone does he have?
---------------------------------------------
Does the WP have
1. Notification Center where all the new messages/stuff can be seen in one place instead of scrolling down in live tiles, note that the live tiles(like Android's widget though Widgets can be memory consuming in Android). is processor/battery drain, whereas notification center will not be. I agree live tiles is a cool concept.
2. File manager where you can manage files. Set which apps to open a particular app, for example: pdf to open in PDF reader or in Adobe Reader by default. Something that I personally miss coming from Droid.
3. Download Manager.
4. Task Manager/memory manager where you can see what is running, close down un-necessary apps.
5. Network Data Manager(kind of like the one in Android 4.1) where you can see data consumption. Firewall(droidwall) can be installed blocking apps from using internet. Bandwidth management can be tackled using that too. Ads can be blocked too.
6. Background data enable - This really helps in case you are sleeping but you dont want the phone to receive messages/or sync with background programs like whatsapp, facebook or email accounts, but like to keep internet running(data or WiFi)! This is available on Android since 2.x and saves processor resources if its not enabled since the background services can not deliver data to the front office :)
7. Endless customization.
7. Marketplace installed apps list or Purchase history(within the phone). even IOS has this feature.
8. Orientation Lock. Another feature I really miss.
9. Multiple Sound Profile(this is another feature which people have written many times), I dont want my music volume to be the same as my call volume??!!!

I have a Lumia 620 and Windows Phone does basic tasks very well, without any hint of lag anywhere unless the app itself is laggy(I have noticed in the latest UCBrowser build, mind you). True multi tasking is missing in WP since the OS simply suspends the apps during multi tasking. For all the above reasons, I still maintain Android is a really functional smartphone and has tons of apps. Even though Google's open system allows third party apps to access all kinds of information(like your phone history, or SMS, etc) without your permission or knowledge... The only defense for WP is its lag free like the IOS. I really hope WP continues to grow and Microsoft will keep improving the WP8 experience. It's 2013 :) .

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes