Problem with Nokia lumia 820's (and 920) weight

Boyede Oyegbami

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I bought my nokia lumia 820 november last year. i have had to change the screen twice because they have shattered. The relatively heavy weight of the phone gives it a heavy fall and make the probability of the screen shattering higher.

my screen broke the first time after falling from a height of about 3 feet. i had no silicone casing at the time and i attributed the broken screen to that fact. however, after repairing the screen and buying a silicone case, it broke again. the phone fell from about the same height as before, the silicone case chipped right where d phone hit d ground and the screen still broke..... again. I then came to a conclusion that the heavy weight increases the chances of the screen breaking when d phone falls.

I will sell the phone after repairing it and go for a lighter phone, may be not nokia again.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes phones just fall wrong.

That extra weight is also extra protection. There are trade-offs with everything.

A light phone may fall wrong and still break.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes phones just fall wrong.

That extra weight is also extra protection. There are trade-offs with everything.

A light phone may fall wrong and still break.

So two drops and you've come to the conclusion that the weight causes the screen to shatter?

I've dropped my 920 twice from about five feet and the screen didn't shatter. So can I conclude that heavy weight does not cause the screen to shatter?

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I will sell the phone after repairing it and go for a lighter phone, may be not nokia again.
Hope you consider checking the weight of phone before buying your next one. Just a matter of fact, try bing search and check the details on Non-WP phones broken while it fell off hands.... you will see how other giants are earning money if you think that Nokia is that bad !! :)

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm not saying the OP is a liar. But I find it strange that he/she joins WP Forum at 16:31. Then makes a thread at 16:48 the same day, about their 820 screen breaking twice since November, and saying the weight is to blame -- why make the thread (which happens to be the same scenario, as many phone drop tests on youtube), and not reply to others, hmmm?

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not saying the OP is a liar. But I find it strange that he/she joins WP Forum at 16:31. Then makes a thread at 16:48 the same day........
Nothing like liar or anything, but really doesn't make sense if you buy a product without checking complete info and then crib for something which happens with all products in same category. After that you go online, check where ppl are talking about it and then leave a new thread just like you hate the product. I wouldn't wonder if he goes on with some other phone the same way :)

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I've dropped my 820 from greater than 5ft twice. I have no case, just invisible shield. No damage.

I think the best solution is to just stop being so clumsy :p
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I dropped my phone once. I was climbing a ladder here at my home in California. It fell out of my pocket and hit the ground.

It caused an 8.9 earthquake.

...in China.

polomint

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Ive dropped mine multiple times from over 4ft, and thrown it in anger a couple of times and its still ticking along nicely lol the weight is great, seems to protect it more :)
Oh, its a 920 :)

bor42

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I don't see how the weight would affect the "hardness" of the fall. Isn't it known that no matter how heavy the object is it's going to fall with the acceleration of 10m/s^2. Be it a table tennis ball or a submarine.
I guess where I'm going with this is that every phone hits the floor with more or less the same speed but at different angle, and that's what kills it. Check the web for shattered iPhones, that weight roughly third less than 820. It's probably because of no gorilla glass that shattering happens, I owned Trophy before my 820 and it fell numerous times and it never shattered even though it weights almost as much as 820 (140g vs 160g).

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Nice pseudo physics.

F=ma

Acceleration is constant, but more weight == more mass == more force.

Heavier phones hit the ground with more force.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

Rishabh1995

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
F=ma

its generally the acceleration which causes the breakage so therefore more mass = less acceleration.

Heavier phones sustain a better impact as well.

Rishabh1995

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
change in momentum causes the impact and momentum is defined as p = mv

dont try to argue with me on this ive written a research on impact on falling objects!

Chew Fat Lip

May 13, 2013
Visit site
F = ma
In this case, gravity provides the acceleration of ~9.8m/s2. The mass is independent of the acceleration (gravity). A block of styrofoam will hit the ground with less force than a block of concrete - same acceleration (gravity) but different mass.

Rishabh1995

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
but the styrofoam will contract much more than the concrete block and the contraction is the essential part in the breaking of the phone! so concrete doesnt get disfigured while styrofoam does! simple as that!

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
he's right. for deformation on a fall, you need the speed (same with every phone, s = 1/2*a*t^2), but the momentum p is important.
it's p = m*v, and following the conservation of momentum, the kinetic energy (the fall) needs to be conserved. Result: deformation of the phone. :p

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster