Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Global Posts
    1,763 Global Posts
    I plan to give WP another serious thought again.

But there are countless threads all over the net complaining about 820's battery. Now my wife has got the 720 and its a fantastic device. In fact the reason I plan to ditch Android and jump the WP wagon is the fluidity of 720. But my concern is the 512 RAM of the 720 vs the bad battery of the 820. Which is lesser of the two evil?
    Can the battery issue and the heating issue be resolved with a firmware update? Or is it inherent and a part of the hardware?
    If its too much of a compromise I will pick the 820. But then again...

Lemme know what u guys think...

Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    As far as I'm aware there isn't an inherent fault with the 820 and its battery. If you Google for any phone + battery issues you will get lots of hits. I've read a few threads where people are complaining about battery life on the Galaxy S 3 but mine lasts 2 to 3 days easily. Also, quite a few people have complained about the 920 too but once again mine will last a good two days on a single charge.

On my HTC Titan I could get 4 days out of a charge. On my 820 I can only barely get 1.5 or 2 days.

Charge it every night and don't worry about it.
    Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express
    josh_ua likes this.

Global Posts
    4,760 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    There isn't a problem with the 820 battery, as far as I'm concerned.

Since you can replace the battery of the 820, you should wait for a higher-capacity Nokia battery to come along.
    Right now, the battery is a BP-5T. Considering my experiences with Nokia batteries, wait for a higher capacity battery in the BP-xT series. 6- or above.
    (An example of this is the Lumia 620 battery, the BL-4J (1300 mAh as of current revision). You can replace it with a battery you can find in phones with half the price that is the BL-5J (1430 mAh as of current revision, only a wee bit thicker))

Or, wait for a new version of the BP-5T to appear. Again, Nokia likes reintroducing batteries with higher capacity.

See Nokia no longer bothering with holograms on most batteries? if you want to see more of the latter at work.

EDIT: Whoa. That's a misleading headline (for what I'm using it for). Hang on, there's a photo in there.
    http://64.19.142.10/www.allaboutsymb...capacities.jpg
    X0LARIUM likes this.

Global Posts
    1,763 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies guys...so would it be 820 or 720 if it were you...If u had to pick one with a low RAM vs one with the infamous battery issue, which one would you pick?

Global Posts
    4,760 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Quote Originally Posted by XENOPHOS View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys...so would it be 820 or 720 if it were you...If u had to pick one with a low RAM vs one with the infamous battery issue, which one would you pick?
    It depends on how long you want to use it. If you're going to cycle through phones every 18 months (or less), go for the 720 and hope for the best (i.e. something like 710, same S.o.C. as the 800/900, same amount of RAM, but this time having a humongous battery.

Global Posts
    1,763 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingTraveler View Post
    It depends on how long you want to use it. If you're going to cycle through phones every 18 months (or less), go for the 720 and hope for the best (i.e. something like 710, same S.o.C. as the 800/900, same amount of RAM, but this time having a humongous battery.
    my wife has the 720 (one of the reasons even I am shifting to WP8) but it doesn't have the muscle power right? So 820 it is...but the battery drain and heating issue is something to watch-out for..

Global Posts
    4,760 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    my wife has the 720 (one of the reasons even I am shifting to WP8) but it doesn't have the muscle power right? So 820 it is...but the battery drain and heating issue is something to watch-out for..
    Okay, first of all, the battery is only going to be an issue if you are:
    -Watching videos
    -Web browsing (white display on AMOLED kills battery quickly)
    -Playing games

Stanby-wise, it's amazing. Just like all other Nokia phones.

Besides, you can replace the battery. Hope for the best.

(P.S. I just found out that a 800 mAh battery from one of my Nokia phones works with my 620. Go figure.)
    Reviver of Forum Games! I'm TheWPCTraveler over on Nintendo Life, as well. You'll also find me over at gamrConnect as well, because I like numbers.

3DS Friend Code: 1779-1560-3109 | NNID: TheWPCTraveler
    Devices: Lumia 630, ASUS T100, Nintendo 3DS XL.
    Now Playing: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars [3DS]
    Now Watching: Pom Poko (平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ)

I have a creepy avatar, don't I?
    Thanked by:
    WorzelGummage likes this.

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Hi there! I've seen you on my 720 vs 820 thread, and so you were facing the same problem as well! Personally I'd recommend the 720 over the 820, but that's biased because I've already set my heart on it and I am a different user than you. I suggest that since you have the privilege of having a full fledged 720 at your disposal (your wife's), why not just ask her to let you try it out for a few days? Use it like you normally would, and if you find any problems that really irk you and you can't stand, get the 820. This is especially if you play lots of games. But for me the 720 is actually made perfectly to be what it is now, whereas the 820 is more of a cheaper alternative to 920.

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingTraveler View Post
    Okay, first of all, the battery is only going to be an issue if you are:
    -Watching videos
    -Web browsing (white display on AMOLED kills battery quickly)
    -Playing games

Stanby-wise, it's amazing. Just like all other Nokia phones.

Besides, you can replace the battery. Hope for the best.

(P.S. I just found out that a 800 mAh battery from one of my Nokia phones works with my 620. Go figure.)
    Following on your PS I've just tried the battery out of my old 5800 XM (BL-5J 1320 mAH) in my wifes 620 and it was a perfect fit! I'm charging it up now and will give it to her as a spare.

Global Posts
    1,763 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheewii Poon View Post
    Hi there! I've seen you on my 720 vs 820 thread, and so you were facing the same problem as well! Personally I'd recommend the 720 over the 820, but that's biased because I've already set my heart on it and I am a different user than you. I suggest that since you have the privilege of having a full fledged 720 at your disposal (your wife's), why not just ask her to let you try it out for a few days? Use it like you normally would, and if you find any problems that really irk you and you can't stand, get the 820. This is especially if you play lots of games. But for me the 720 is actually made perfectly to be what it is now, whereas the 820 is more of a cheaper alternative to 920.
    Thanks...yes..I plan to so that. But something is not letting me go for the 720. Its like why buy the same two phones.. Plus, reading up a little, I learned the 820 is slightly future-proof. Slightly I say. The 1.5 GHz and 1GB RAM says it all.

Let me see. The heating is also another tissue I worry about. I don't really play games (I think its very kiddish LOL)..
    But surfing I do...and a lot..

Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.

I don't know what you've been reading where you've invented these "issues".

Charge your phone every night. Battery will not be an issue.

There is no heat issue. My 820 has never even felt the slightest bit warm.
    Let me see. The heating is also another tissue I worry about. I don't really play games (I think its very kiddish LOL).
    Hello my old friend ;-)

A few pointers:

1)
    The heat issue is precisely because of the higher clocked CPU on the 820. Lower clock on the 720 = less heat (and less battery drainage). That is a hardware thing. No software update will change that.

2)
    The 820 and 720 are equally future proof. Both will hit end of life at the same time. Barely a developer will target higher end Lumia's (820's and 920's) exclusively. With the exception of a few games, nobody will be developing anything that doesn't run on the 720. Not now. Not in the future. When the next round of WP hardware hits the shelves, all current Lumia's will be in the same boat.

3)
    Based on the description of what you do (particularly that you don't play games), I see little reason to prefer the 820 over the 720.

The international maps license that comes with the 820 might be one reason, or the AMOLED screen should you prefer that over the 720's IPS LCD. The higher clock on the 820's CPU is barely noticeable in terms of performance, particularly because the heavy lifting is done by the GPU.

Beyond those things, the 720 is superior in every way, including both front and back camera, video capture and the GPU (Adreno 305 vs. the Adreno 255 in the 820).
    Last edited by a5cent; 05-10-2013 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Thanked by:
    X0LARIUM and raycpl like this.

Global Posts
    4,760 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    Hello my old friend ;-)

A few pointers:

1)
    The heat issue is precisely because of the higher clocked CPU on the 820. Lower clock on the 720 = less heat (and less battery drainage). That is a hardware thing. No software update will change that.

2)
    The 820 and 720 are equally future proof. Both will hit end of life at the same time. Barely a developer will target higher end Lumia's (820's and 920's) exclusively. With the exception of a few games, nobody will be developing anything that runs only on the 820 but not on the 720. Not now. Not in the future. When the next round of WP hardware hits the shelves, all current Lumia's will be in the same boat.

3)
    Based on the description of what you do (particularly that you don't play games), I see little reason to prefer the 820 over the 720.

The international maps license that comes with the 820 might be one reason, or the AMOLED screen should you prefer that over the 720's IPS LCD. The higher clock on the 820's CPU is barely noticeable in terms of performance, particularly because the heavy lifting is done by the GPU.

The 720 is superior in all other respects, including both front and back camera, video capture and the GPU (Adreno 305 vs. the Adreno 255 in the 820).
    Thanks for doing what I wanted to do while I was asleep :)

BTW, assuming the always-on clock comes to the Lumia line via PR 2.0, you'll love that AMOLED.

Oh, and I've never seen the battery connector things on the 820.
    But, seeing that the largest batteries Nokia has officially made is 2000 mAh, good luck if you're choosing the 820.

Since the 720 does have a microSD slot, I'd guess the 720 is a better option. In fact, for what you're using a phone for, you could use a 520 or 620.
    (Or, buy both and have one spare battery!)
    Reviver of Forum Games! I'm TheWPCTraveler over on Nintendo Life, as well. You'll also find me over at gamrConnect as well, because I like numbers.

3DS Friend Code: 1779-1560-3109 | NNID: TheWPCTraveler
    Devices: Lumia 630, ASUS T100, Nintendo 3DS XL.
    Now Playing: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars [3DS]
    Now Watching: Pom Poko (平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ)

I have a creepy avatar, don't I?

Global Posts
    1,763 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by link68759 View Post
    I don't know what you've been reading where you've invented these "issues".

Charge your phone every night. Battery will not be an issue.

There is no heat issue. My 820 has never even felt the slightest bit warm.
    Well clearly u haven't been reading enough in that case...look around only in this forum and u will see countless people have battery drain and heating issues aplenty. ANyways..thanks for your reply..

Global Posts
    1,763 Global Posts
    Hello my old friend ;-)

A few pointers:

1)

2)
    The 820 and 720 are equally future proof. Both will hit end of life at the same time. Barely a developer will target higher end Lumia's (820's and 920's) exclusively. With the exception of a few games, nobody will be developing anything that doesn't run on the 720. Not now. Not in the future. When the next round of WP hardware hits the shelves, all current Lumia's will be in the same boat.

3)

Beyond those things, the 720 is superior in every way, including both front and back camera, video capture and the GPU (Adreno 305 vs. the Adreno 255 in the 820).
    Hey A5cent, how u doing mate!

Thanks for your reply... I know what you are saying. Though I agree with everything, there is just one point I may contest against, the last one, The Adreno 225 vs 305. I read on some popular forums the 225 is stronger than the 305...Can we discuss this in length a little...? I am open to a good logical argument on this one...I did plenty of research on this one myself.

The strength of gpu vs gpu will never come into play.

If you want the better camera get the 720, otherwise get the 820.

Global Posts
    789 Global Posts

Thanks for your reply... I know what you are saying. Though I agree with everything, there is just one point I may contest against, the last one, The Adreno 225 vs 305. I read on some popular forums the 225 is stronger than the 305...Can we discuss this in length a little...? I am open to a good logical argument on this one...I did plenty of research on this one myself.
    305 is low end like two generations behind.

Adreno 305 graphics are equal to 3 year old iPhone 4 and Galaxy S2 whereas Adreno 225 is comparable to iPhone 4S , Galaxy S3 etc.

To make this little clear :
    Every adreno has series like 200s , 300s etc.

starting numbers like 305 are meant for low end , 320 is meant for higher end
    205 is inferior to 220 and 225.

You must pick last two digits for seeing at potential.
    Last edited by Sanjay Chandra; 05-10-2013 at 04:52 AM.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    The strength of gpu vs gpu will never come into play.

If you want the better camera get the 720, otherwise get the 820.
    It will come into play.

Hardware Acceleration = Uses GPU power

Yes, but these numbers still tell very little. One wouldn't assume the 320 would be eating the 225 for breakfast, but it does. It is simply embedded with the faster chipsets only (S4 pro) which also means that it is likely clocked higher.
    Mali vs SGX vs Adreno, the best GPU on smartphones and tablets shows that the 305 is more or less equal in performance to the 225 in most tests. :)

Sure we can discuss it. However, as you surely know by now, when it comes to issues of performance I prefer numbers over words, so without further ado I offer you this benchmark.

Both test candidates sport the same display resolution and the same version of Android. As you can see, the Adreno 305 came out slightly ahead in most tests. Admittedly the difference isn't huge, but according to Qualcomm the Adreno 305 also gets by on less power. Whenever you're confronted with a mobile GPU that offers better performance while using less power, there is nothing left to think about... you can't go wrong with that combination. Professional review sites confirm that result, like this one from gsmarena (see GLBenchmark 2.5 Egypt).

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a benchmark comparing these two GPUs under WP8. Theoretically, things may be completely different for WP8, but it is far more likely that results will be very similar if not identical.

As far as Qualcomm is concerned, the Adreno 305 replaces the Adreno 225 completely. Going forward, any new SoC that is intended to reach the GPU performance levels of the Adreno 225 will ship with the Adreno 305 instead.

I'm not sure what it is you read on other forums, but IMHO numbers speak louder than words.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay Chandra View Post
    It will come into play.

Hardware Acceleration = Uses GPU power
    There is not and will never be an app that would noticeably benefit from having that marginally faster gpu. It will not come into play.
    There is not and will never be an app that would noticeably benefit from having that marginally faster gpu. It will not come into play.
    The term "come into play" is very unfortunate. If a smartphones GPU is fired up and crunching pixels then it comes into play. Period.

Based on the benchmarking results the performance difference between both GPUs is negligible however. I agree that the probability of anyone noticing a difference is essentially zero. When it comes to power draw and battery life however, assuming all else is equal (which in practice does not apply), I suspect we would notice a difference. Unfortunately, I lack the numbers to back that statement up.

Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Sure we can discuss it. However, as you surely know by now, when it comes to issues of performance I prefer numbers over words, so without further ado I offer you this benchmark.

Both test candidates sport the same display resolution and the same version of Android. As you can see, the Adreno 305 came out slightly ahead in most tests. Admittedly the difference isn't huge, but according to Qualcomm the Adreno 305 also gets by on less power. Whenever you're confronted with a mobile GPU that offers better performance while using less power, there is nothing left to think about... you can't go wrong with that combination. Professional review sites confirm that result, like this one from gsmarena (see GLBenchmark 2.5 Egypt).

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a benchmark comparing these two GPUs under WP8. Theoretically, things may be completely different for WP8, but it is far more likely that results will be very similar if not identical.

As far as Qualcomm is concerned, the Adreno 305 replaces the Adreno 225 completely. Going forward, any new SoC that is intended to reach the GPU performance levels of the Adreno 225 will ship with the Adreno 305 instead.

I'm not sure what it is you read on other forums, but IMHO numbers speak louder than words.
    http://www.qualcomm.com/sites/defaul...s-06.07.12.pdf

Combination of 1 Ghz CPU coupled with Adreno 305 - MSM8627 or MSM8227

See the combination of 1.5 Ghz Dual Core Krait coupled with Adreno 225 - MSM8960

As we can clearly see how powerful Adreno 225 compared to 305 especially in handling camera MP and Display resolution.

1.2 Ghz Dual Core Krait + Adreno 305 = Replaces 1.5 Ghz Dual Core Krait + Adreno 225
    ! Ghz Dual Core Krait + Adreno 305 = Weaker , Only Replaces Adreno 205 Devices with slight bumps in performances in GPU but leaps in CPU

The term "come into play" is very unfortunate. If a smartphones GPU is fired up and crunching pixels then it comes into play. Period.

Based on the benchmarking results the performance difference between both GPUs is negligible however. I agree that the probability of anyone noticing a difference is essentially zero. When it comes to power draw and battery life however, assuming all else is equal (which in practice does not apply), I suspect we would notice a difference. Unfortunately, I lack the numbers to back that statement up.
    "come into play" was referring to: the marginal performance gain of one vs the other will never come into play. Obviously they are being used...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast