Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Hi, I'm planning to get a new phone, since Microsoft doesn't love WP7 users, I bought Lumia 800 last May, I've been very happy with it, but now developers mostly release their games and apps for WP8, so I checked one retailer's web and L820 price is perfect for me. I have to note that it's the same as 8X or Ativ S, but I want Lumia because of Nokia's exclusive apps. Is it worth buying it? WP8 support ends next year I don't know if Microsoft will leave us behind again. Thanks.
    Nokia 3100 > Nokia 6060 > Nokia 6020 > Nokia 6300 > Nokia 5800 XpressMusic > Nokia X3 > Nokia Lumia 800 > Nokia Lumia 920

Running with Nokia

I dont think it will be a issue this time, Even the next version of Windows Phone 8 (Windows Phone 8.1?) will be based at Windows NT. The old Windows Phone 7 was built at Windows CE.
    I love my Lumia 820.

It's a well done mid range smartphone with 1024mb RAM (WP8 works MUCH better with 1GB, less "loading screens"). VERY nice camera, much better than L800 (my father have one, i'm love L800 too). And it's only who have a AMOLED screen in midranges price. AMOLED is mandatory for Windows Phone, in my opinion. So i think Lumia 820 is a very good option.

About support, i think MS will continues to upgrade actual smartphones with WP8. No kernel's change (the big problem of WP7).

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I'm a little bit worried about non hd display, this is the only minus for me
    Nokia 3100 > Nokia 6060 > Nokia 6020 > Nokia 6300 > Nokia 5800 XpressMusic > Nokia X3 > Nokia Lumia 800 > Nokia Lumia 920

Running with Nokia
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumis90 View Post
    I'm a little bit worried about non hd display, this is the only minus for me
    I was worried about that, but that's not a real problem. Words are really crisp. Windows Phone don't need a high resolution in 4.3" screen. Have no complains about this.

I"ve had my 820 since November '12. I am quite happy with this device. The mapping and GPS are superb. The interfacing with live tiles is easy and intuitive. I just bought one for my girlfriend last week, she likes it too and says it much easier to use than her old flip phone. I like the camera and now use it for 99% of my "snapshots". The Windows Live and the cloud are convenient and easy to use. When I snap a photo, when I get to the computer it's already available. I recommend.
    Rodrigo Mendes likes this.

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    How about battery life? Is there any higher capacity batteries to buy?

Running with Nokia
    How about battery life? Is there any higher capacity batteries to buy?
    I think this is a real problem for heavy users.

Battery should max out within a day. I vouch for the Lumia 820 as well, my friend has it and is faster than my L620 by a margin. Less loading screens, seems to load menu items, games faster . The AMOLED screen is really good as well, dont have a problem with the non-HD screen though. Its your choice? the only HD WP8 phones is the 92X series and thats the flagship!!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    The shell from the box comes with wireless charging built-in or not?

Running with Nokia

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    No, it is a standard shell. You have to buy the wireless charging on separately.

yes it does, i think the only one not including that is the L925

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    So yes or no? I'm planning to get a red one and buy a yellow shell with wireless charging. And how's the front facing camera? I've heard that it isn't very good

Running with Nokia

Depends on your country I believe. In the UK all 820s come with a charging shell (not sure you could even buy a non-charging shell anywhere in the UK if you wanted one). I hear some countries only provide a basic shell though. Check with your supplier.

The front camera is great for Skype, low res so ideal for lower bandwidth situations. Not good for taking snapshots at this res, but that's what the rear camera's for, right?

820 is a nice phone, but maybe it's better that you wait and see. A couple of months later we should have a new batch of Lumia, as 920 and 820 will be one year old by then. I think this 2nd wave of WP8 Lumia will be lighter, thinner and have bigger battery, aside from other improvements (I guess the 840, ot whatever they call it, will have the same HD screen of Lumia 925 and 928).

If you still want the 820, I will tell you that the front camera is quite bad, even for videoconference. The battery lasts enough for me (At night I tend to have between 50% and 20% remaining), but that depeneds a lot on your usage, network, etc.... The 8GB internal memory might be a little too scarce if you plan to play games (as apps cannot be installed in memory card).
    Nowadays I would buy the 720, but having only 512MB RAM is a deal breaker. Pity.

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    So for what then SD card is for in Lumia? Will Nokia add ability to install apps to it with GDR2/3? And I read that it doesn't have gorilla glass. How's the screen for you overall?

Running with Nokia

The SD card is for media such as photos and music, I find 8Gb is plenty for apps. I doubt MS will update WP8 to allow SD card app installs, this makes it far to easy to pirate software. The screen is fine without Gorilla Glass, you would never know it didn't have it. I don't use a case or screen protector and have no scratches. I think its a fantastic phone phone, one of the best in fact and I've owned a iPhone 5, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2 and Nexus 4 over the past year.

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    But with the OS there's about 4-5gb free space? I have many games on my Lumia and from 13gb there's only 5,5gb free

Running with Nokia

The internal flash storage is fast. Very fast. Even compared to my Samsung Pro SD card which is itself way faster than class 10 min spec. Running apps from SD card would negate much of the speed/smoothness of the device so it won't be coming. This is a good thing. What you can do is save the game install files to SD card and swap out one large game for another if you need all your games with you. It works well (though your save games will be lost).

The SD card holds all your media, which is what it should be for.

Gorilla glass is just a trade name for one brand of toughened glass. It is much the same as any other brand. Remember, the more toughened the glass is, the easier it is to shatter or crack. Toughened glass helps against scratches, not screen cracking. I had Nokia replace my screen due to a coating issue from the factory. Neither screen has been scratched in any way. It's a good screen.

Get an 820 now. Any refresh will likely have an HD LCD of larger size, no Amoled sized to fit nicely in the hand. Amoled looks great at lower res (due to the same effect of both sharpening & blurring that CRTs offer rather than just sharpening like LCD) so this is the perfect screen. Marketing will push the bigger numbers though. The 820 is the engineer's phone. The refresh will be the advertiser's phone I predict. Get it now.
    Thanked by:
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc_SP View Post
    820 is a nice phone, but maybe it's better that you wait and see. A couple of months later we should have a new batch of Lumia, as 920 and 820 will be one year old by then. I think this 2nd wave of WP8 Lumia will be lighter, thinner and have bigger battery, aside from other improvements (I guess the 840, ot whatever they call it, will have the same HD screen of Lumia 925 and 928).

If you still want the 820, I will tell you that the front camera is quite bad, even for videoconference. The battery lasts enough for me (At night I tend to have between 50% and 20% remaining), but that depeneds a lot on your usage, network, etc.... The 8GB internal memory might be a little too scarce if you plan to play games (as apps cannot be installed in memory card).
    Nowadays I would buy the 720, but having only 512MB RAM is a deal breaker. Pity.
    I agree, but if you wait too long, will wait forever. Smartphones always getting better m8 (S4 is the only exception lol).

I think 512MB RAM is a deal breaker for 720 too (LCD screen too). 820 is a better choice and the price are almost the same in some countries. But not a deal breaker for 620 or 520.

8GB internal storage is not enough for heavy gamers, I agree with that. But for other applications and "light" games, its more than enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyCalling View Post
    The internal flash storage is fast. Very fast. Even compared to my Samsung Pro SD card which is itself way faster than class 10 min spec. Running apps from SD card would negate much of the speed/smoothness of the device so it won't be coming. This is a good thing. What you can do is save the game install files to SD card and swap out one large game for another if you need all your games with you. It works well (though your save games will be lost).

The SD card holds all your media, which is what it should be for.

Gorilla glass is just a trade name for one brand of toughened glass. It is much the same as any other brand. Remember, the more toughened the glass is, the easier it is to shatter or crack. Toughened glass helps against scratches, not screen cracking. I had Nokia replace my screen due to a coating issue from the factory. Neither screen has been scratched in any way. It's a good screen.

Get an 820 now. Any refresh will likely have an HD LCD of larger size, no Amoled sized to fit nicely in the hand. Amoled looks great at lower res (due to the same effect of both sharpening & blurring that CRTs offer rather than just sharpening like LCD) so this is the perfect screen. Marketing will push the bigger numbers though. The 820 is the engineer's phone. The refresh will be the advertiser's phone I predict. Get it now.
    Yes, you're right. I have a 16GB Kingston Class 10 SD Card, but interngal storage have read and write better timings. Way better. SD card to storage app is not a good idea for me too.

Have no problems with 820 glass here too. GG is just a name, like you say. Nothing special if u compare with others manufactures.

But with the OS there's about 4-5gb free space? I have many games on my Lumia and from 13gb there's only 5,5gb free
    Well, if u are a heavy gamer, I'd tell you to buy a 16GB internal storage smartphone.

I am using this phone for last 2 months. Great phone. I am totally satisfied except that the phone is a bit heavy , always seems slipping away from my hand and already slipped twice from my hand to the floor but fortunately nothing wrong happened . The construction of Nokia Phone is always superb , more durable than any other phone.

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    How's the back camera? Does it take better pictures and video than L800?

Running with Nokia
    Thanked by:

It is the same camera module as Lumia 900 (not 920), the same way the screen is also the same panel the 900 had. It seems Nokia is good at reusing parts, hehe.
    The camera is better than 800, but not spectacular. Of course it is more than good enough 90% of the time, it's just that in low light or other special situations it will not perform as well as you would like. If it is good enough for you depends on your expectations. It is enough for me to take photos on my GF birthday party, when I see something funny on the street or the food in the restaurants, for example. It is more or less on par with my 4 year old point-and-shoot camera (that I don't use anymore, obviously.).
    Much better, i can guarantee that. Like I say, my father have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc_SP View Post
    It is the same camera module as Lumia 900 (not 920), the same way the screen is also the same panel the 900 had. It seems Nokia is good at reusing parts, hehe.
    The camera is better than 800, but not spectacular. Of course it is more than good enough 90% of the time, it's just that in low light or other special situations it will not perform as well as you would like. If it is good enough for you depends on your expectations. It is enough for me to take photos on my GF birthday party, when I see something funny on the street or the food in the restaurants, for example. It is more or less on par with my 4 year old point-and-shoot camera (that I don't use anymore, obviously.).
    Have no problems with lowlight. I have many good photos in lowlight and no flash.

I do not agree with your opinion about the Lumia 820's camera. I think it can be frustrating when compared with good SLR cameras. But only real good SLR cameras. For a smartphone camera, it's one of the best. Way better than iPhone 5 and also the Galaxy S4, for example.
    Last edited by Rodrigo Mendes; 07-12-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast