nokia maps issue

upadhyerohan

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I am using nokia here maps, when I switch it to satellite mode the images shown are very old I live in pune which is one of the big city and still I am getting old images. some of the four to five years old building are not visible. can any one tell how to get the latest maps.....

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I am using nokia here maps, when I switch it to satellite mode the images shown are very old I live in pune which is one of the big city and still I am getting old images. some of the four to five years old building are not visible. can any one tell how to get the latest maps.....

We are talking about capturing the entire WORLD in aerial photographs. Think about that...the entire WORLD. Do you think that is possible to do in 5 years on a rinse and repeat cycle?

Check out (40.713, -74.0135) That is the location of One World Trade Center in New York City. You'd think the completion of that building would be a decent reason to update the photos? Not when you are trying to photo graph the entire world though, haha. That is the progress from a couple years back.

Basically, what it boils down to, you do have the most recent maps.

upadhyerohan

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
All the anroid user are having google maps whcih have a very updated map even in small towns; why they are not having the problem of entire world.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
A side city street near me was completed in 2008. It is not on Google, Apple, or HERE.

Just because one example near you is on Google and not on HERE does not mean that Google is photographing the world every couple of years. They are all building their database more than refreshing it.

upadhyerohan

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
it doesn't seem to me correct
I will check and compare through google maps and here and come to conclusion....? (by the way when i checked wikipedia it clearly says Google Maps provides satellite images for most urban areas all over the world.)
issue is not the updated images but google maps are not supported properly on windows phone and here maps the region I am checking gives too old images.....

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Secondary question...the map data/satellite images you see on HERE.com; do they match what you see on your phone?

Just an FYI, I live in a city of about 800k. Not nearly 5 Mil, but big.

It also depends on what level you are looking into to how recent the Google images are...It is pretty funny looking, but when I zoom in on that road I mentioned earlier, when I am in any of the satellite views on Google (straight top view) it is a picture from about 2006-2007 era. But when you change over to the 45 degree view (looks like it was taken from an airplane?) the picture updates to something closer to 2010+. So obviously their Satellite views are dated, but they do have recently updated pictures too.
*To add, when I go to Street View, you snap the little guy onto the road that I know is in the wrong location, it zooms me into the street in it's new location...JUST WEIRD, haha.*

When I go to HERE.com and look at the same spot, in the satellite view it is that 2010+ picture, but when I move to their airplane pictures (they call it "3D mode") it is all still 2010+ pictures. I believe that is just software differences though, not actually different photographs.

For ALL programs, the Map data is all based on the road from 2007 still, so when I am driving through it now, it yells at me to get back onto the road (and directs me to move south ~50 feet, which is now a new parking lot) hahaha

upadhyerohan

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
you asked about " map data/satellite images you see on HERE.com; do they match what you see on your phone?"

I pasted the screen shot of my phone and from here.com both show different images
wp_ss_20131015_0001.jpg
check the buiding where I was with my phone is actually mising and now check here.com the buiding is avaliable the building is build in 2006. about more than 5 years old
now this sceenshot is from here.com
New Bitmap Image.jpg

Can you now explain the difference.......???? why this thing are there.... in nokia/windows phone:confused::confused::confused:

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Nokia updated their satellite images just a few months ago for here.com. They said the updated images will be available to phones also until end of the year, this hasn't happened yet, so just wait a few more weeks (months) until they show up on the phone.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Can you now explain the difference.......????

Nope, hahaah. No idea. Just "wait and see?" is all I have!

I'd bet they have to go through a process to get the data of the satellite images shrunk down (acceptable for mobile data usage). I could see that take a while...

Found the article Marratj mentioned: Looking for a real clear view? – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

We are starting on here.com with United States, Western Europe and South Africa, which make up 14 million of km2of land area.Soon, we will have better-resolution images covering 90% of global landmass and later this year, they will be available on smartphones too.

No mention of India though.

upadhyerohan

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Good to have clarity on topic with you hope nokia would update it soon.... till then we will check out for other new awesome apps on nokia lumia for maps and landmarks.......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb