About to leave WP8, please stop me.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Get the HTC 8X then. It is also on Verizon. It does have a notification light.

And since when do people use a LED flash as a notification light?
We don't know what device the OP had prior to his 822. He might have been a BlackBerry user.

When I used a BlackBerry I even had an app that changed the LED flash different colors so I'd know what type of message I had just by looking at the light.

I adjusted to the Windows Phone way of notifications, but I can see where a new user might miss certain things or need some time to adjust.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes -- I'm new to the platform...I'm going to try and give this phone a week or so.

The notifications are a killer though. I looked at the phone and saw an LED and assumed for some reason that it would actually be USED...I didn't even think to check if it wasn't part of the functionality. It's so hard having this beautiful phone that doesn't have the apps and functionality that I used to have...and it hurts. I really don't like iPhone, but I may just make the switch so that I can have access to all the apps...however many WP8 has, it definitely isn't enough. I don't want to have to pay $50 for a better map app that was free before!

Why do I get the feeling this really an exercise in trolling? You went from asking questions you could have answered almost entirely for yourself before purchase to now running down the platform and its lack of apps, all in your first two posts. Then again, you titled the thread with the infamous please stop me tag which is a trolling tag across the web.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I have no problem hitting the power buttomn and looking at the bottom of the screen to see what I have missed. I personally haven't had a phone that gave LED notofications since... a long ass time ago lol.

I agree it just takes some getting used to. I personally don't miss it or HAVE to have it.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Way too much confusion in this thread.

The LED is on some phones, and not on others. The LED on HTC phones tells you whether the battery is charging or charged. It also notifies you when you have a missed call. It has some other small functions, like flashing in a certain way when the phone is overheating while charging. The LED uses next to no battery.

The 8X has it, and so does the Trophy. The Nokias don't have it, as has already been said.

I like having the LED, but it's definitely not a dealbreaker in any way.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
leave. wp is great for a lot of reasons But i think it may have been rushed to keep up with the iphone 5 release. the issues you have seem important to you. You have to get a phone that works for you and for what yhou need to do with it. sell it... buy an android or something.

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I am lost ! Trying to collect the dust that left from your footsteps, but no more to find. Must I hear the singing birds speak about your love to me ?

Baby, let me kiss you for the last time,
Eventhough a night without stars,
Where a love is the most beautiful words,
Fills an emptiness beneath the shadows of your love,
Baby, I can't hold anymore,
This feeling is a dream beyond tears,
Am I strong enough to wipe your sadness ?,
Between the life and an illusion, where our love was there,
Baby, give me a chance to bring life within our passions of time,
Whenever I hold your hand in my dream of life.

Baby, please don't go ! Please ! Hear me, dear , I have no more desire in this life, because only your love that burning inside me !

or something

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Many are there who r frustrated but switching over to android or iOS is not a solution...we have to get MS to react...we should seek response..cos if I leave this time around its no looking back for WP8.5 or 9 or Lumia 1020 whatever it may be...

rbxtreme

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
omg... We getting so stuck up with the past... I'm assuming you coming the blackberry way.... Remember those,days when blackberry's were talk in town and then compared to that ****ty numeric pad and fkdup resistive touch screens... Though the qwerty was nice introduction there were people complaining how bad n,complicated it was compared to the restricted T9..,since then we've come a long way and even the mighty veterans at BlackBerry realized we need to go the capacitive touch way scrapping the physical keyboard..so welcome the change...the samy's never had a notification until the galaxy nexus. So you need to decide if its, the notification that's bothering you go the HTC,way....cheers

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Sure iOS and android are what they are years after they started...but remember when apple started it had no competition...same story for android, it was the only other platform...

Both these platforms had the liberty to grow at their own pace..

Windows phone does not have such liberty...when you join the race late you have to put in lot more efforts to succeed..

MS is putting in efforts but are they enough only time will tell..

Anonymous7532479

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I really do love the 822 (my first WP device) - but honestly, I spend most of my time of the iPhone 5. I adore WP8 and I can't wait to see it grow, but yes, it is lacking in the app department. Even some of the major apps feel less than stellar compared to their iOS and Android equivalents. I'm hoping in time, the app store continues to expand. It's my only beef.

That being said, I still switch my sim over to the 822 a couple times a week to play around. It's a great device!

And before anyone barks 'troll' or whatever, save your breath. I love smart phones period. I own RIM, Android, iOS, and WP. I have no loyalty to any particular brand.

Just an honest opinion :)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys -- Just got the Lumia 822 last night. And after using it for a while, I think I made the wrong choice. There are some major issues I have right now. Does anybody have any workarounds? I

Nokia Maps: It doesn't show multiple routes. I'm in NYC, and this is absolutely necessary.
Facebook: There are some issues with Facebook that are just making me mad - f I get sent an event invite, there is no info on the "info" page!! - is anybody else having this issue??
Yelp: Yelp doesn't allow you to log in and do normal activity (see bookmarks, etc)

2. No blinking notification light or reminder that I have missed a text or an email. I find it unacceptable that I constantly have to pick up my phone and press a button to see that I have missed something.

Help??
Have you contacted Nokia to make feature suggestions to Nokia Drive, which is still BETA software?
Facebook - lots of people complain about that one - I don't use the app, and if I want more functionality than what is baked into the OS, I just use the full FB website. No way will an app ever keep up with the changes that occur on facebook. That doesn't excuse the need for updates to the app, but it gives you an option that works fine. Remember, the IE 10 that is in your phone uses the same engine as the IE 10 that is on the desktop of every Windows 8 computer. Set IE to desktop mode, and go.
Yelp - I don't use it, so can't comment.
No notification light? I had one on my Trophy, and liked having it, but I really don't miss it.

Finally, do you really want to leave? It doesn't sound like it if you're pleading for us to stop you, as you did in the title of the thread. If you like the phone, stick around and wait for the improvements that ARE to come. Windows Phone is a growing platform, and those of us who have been with it since day one have seen a good number of improvements. I personally got four emails on WP8 launch day. Those four emails were from the Windows Phone UserVoice site, letting me know that my suggestions were closed, because they were implemented. On the other hand, if you don't like the phone, go back to wherever you were before. Yes, we'd like to see you stay, but if it's not what you want, go. I'm not naive enough to think that one phone will ever meet the needs of every user.

The notifications are a killer though. I looked at the phone and saw an LED and assumed for some reason that it would actually be USED...I didn't even think to check if it wasn't part of the functionality. It's so hard having this beautiful phone that doesn't have the apps and functionality that I used to have...and it hurts. I really don't like iPhone, but I may just make the switch so that I can have access to all the apps...however many WP8 has, it definitely isn't enough. I don't want to have to pay $50 for a better map app that was free before!
Where do you see an LED??? There isn't one. Are you looking at the front facing camera lens and thinking that's an LED?
Don't pay $50 for a map app. Keep in mind that Nokia Drive+ BETA is still under development - hence the BETA in it's name. It will improve. Want to take an active role in the improvements? Make suggestions to Nokia.
Not enough apps? more than 125,000 apps, and you can't find what you need? Go straight to the web site. IE10 is great, and the vast majority of web sites work on it. Another bonus - changes to a particular service always happen on the web site first. No waiting.

Maybe we can get windows phone hacker to develop a 'Notification' light on the phone....where it keeps the screen black except for a portion of the front screen. Or maybe to flash the backlight under the back arrow/home/search key.
It won't happen. It's not possible with the way the OS is designed.

I really do love the 822 (my first WP device) - but honestly, I spend most of my time of the iPhone 5. I adore WP8 and I can't wait to see it grow, but yes, it is lacking in the app department. Even some of the major apps feel less than stellar compared to their iOS and Android equivalents. I'm hoping in time, the app store continues to expand. It's my only beef.

That being said, I still switch my sim over to the 822 a couple times a week to play around. It's a great device!

And before anyone barks 'troll' or whatever, save your breath. I love smart phones period. I own RIM, Android, iOS, and WP. I have no loyalty to any particular brand.

Just an honest opinion :)
Thank you for the honest opinion. I'd MUCH rather have an honest opinion than the troll posts that we see so often. No phone, or OS, will ever be the one that works best for every user. We need choices. Also, without competition, there would be no reason for innovation. To me, I don't have to look any farther than iPhone 5 to see a lack of innovation. Apple really disappointed me on that one (as with the 4S). They used to be THE company for innovation, but the last couple models have really disappointed me, and I'm not even an Apple guy. But if it works for you, great - I have no qualms with that. Keep them in business, keep the competition up, and innovation will happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos