First time smartphone buyer, can't decide, 822 or 8X

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This a real tough decision for me. I am coming off of a kin twom and have never owned a smartphone before, so either of these phones will more than likely exceed my expectations, but I am going to have to live with this decision for 2 years, so I need all the help I can in making the right choice.
Now I've played with both devices at the verizon store and have gotten a feel for each of them. I actually really like the look of the white 822, and if i got it, I would probably get the white or the grey. Here's my perceived list of pros/cons for each device
822:
Pros
- expandable storage
- Nokia apps (Drive being the only one that I think I would use)
- vivid display, with really great colors (albeit a little over saturated)
- Nokia build quality
- Button placement and feel
Cons:
- screen resolution, which was definitely noticable reading text
- design, although I do really like it a lot more than i thought i would, but still not as pretty as 8X
- feels and looks thicker than 8X
- doesn't really stand out from other smartphones
8X:
Pros
- beautiful, eye-catching design
- high res screen
- looks and feels thinner than 822
- camera, although this is up for debate
Cons
- limited storage
- power button hard to press/feel/reach
- possible reliability issues
- colors looks washed out in comparison to 822 (although probably more accurate than 822)

I feel as if the only thing really holding me back from the 822 is the design, less so than the screen resolution, but also that too. Coming off of having just awful phones my entire life, I really would like something that I can be proud to show off. And because some people think your crazy if you don't buy an iPhone, I want a device that would make them envious. I don't think the 822 accomplishes that. I know that sounds pretty superficial, and i don't know if anyone can relate, but It's what I am thinking

And I feel as if the only thing holding me back from the 8X is the lack of storage. I currently use a 16gb zune right now just fine for gym use, but i do have a rather large music library, and having it all on one device would be awesome. After the os and installing my main apps, I feel as though their will only be around 12gb usable on the device.

So I would really appreciate your thoughts if you were in my shoes, knowing kind of what I want in a device?

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I would ask yourself is the $100 premium for the 8X over the 822 justified? Is the better screen resolution and design (including the lack of expandable storage worth paying $100 more for?

For me, it was not. I ended up going with the 822 for the three upgrades on my account.
Main reasons why:
  • Super sensitive touch screen (I can keep my gloves on in the winter while operating my phone)
  • Clear Black Display (makes it easier to see your screen outside, plus the black levels are intense)
  • Nokia exclusive apps
  • Expandable storage
  • Price

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'd pretty much agree with your list of pros and cons for both phones. I came out liking the 822 (in gray) better because of the brighter screen, expandability, Nokia apps, Nokia build quality, and because I found the keyboard on the 822 easier to use. After 48 hours, I'm very happy with the phone and still discovering new possibilities. It's very quick, easy to use and easy to read

But I'm already bumping up against the 16 GB memory limit without putting that much on the phone (7 apps, maps, and 7 GB of music). I've ordered a micro SD card, and I'm gonna need it.

In terms of impressing friends, I think the coolest thing isn't the device but the way you can trick out the live tiles -- like show a friend how you can tap on her photo to contact her.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Since you said you will have to live with it for two years I will tell you this.... Expandable storage and removable battery. Only one phone has it right now...

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
My store didn't have an 8X in stock, but I've been very pleased with the 822 so far. I like the Nokia apps that are available with the Lumia. Don't get me wrong, most of them I won't use often, but they are nice to have. I do use Nokia music often. It's pretty much replaced iheartradio for me. Like was said above the expandable storage was important to me, but I also have more confidence in Nokia supporting their devices than HTC. I will say that Verizon stood behind the Trophy pretty well for me. I don't think you can really go wrong with either phone, they are both quality devices.

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
hey lee b, do you have any pics of the grey 822? I am leaning toward the 822 right now, but can't decide between white or grey. The white was nice in person, but I would love to see some better pics of the grey since there seems to be very few online

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Dunno how much they'll help because the photography isn't great, but here are some pix. On my computer screen, they don't get the gray right. It's darker than it looks in the two front shots, lighter than the one of the back. The back picture has a kind of bluish-green tint that's not there in the phone.

Attachments

• IMG_1115.JPG
    IMG_1115.JPG
    521 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1116.JPG
    IMG_1116.JPG
    504.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1113.JPG
    IMG_1113.JPG
    560.6 KB · Views: 9

daniel nensel

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Your pros and Cons list is spot on. Though I am pretty sold on wireless charging (hence some of my other rants about this elsewhere) so keep in mind that the HTC has wireless charging OotB, the Lumia requires a $40 add-on. So the price difference is essentially $60 if you plan to have Qi charging... I ended up still choosing the 822. I hope that they sell colorful battery doors with the Wireless charging, really envious of the 820/920 color palette

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ya i would probably use wireless charging and buy a wireless charging plate if it had it built in, but i don't see my self shelling out 40 or so bucks for the backplate too, so wireless charging isn't that big of a deal to me.

Wow that grey looks pretty cool, are you happy with your color choice?

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ya i would probably use wireless charging and buy a wireless charging plate if it had it built in, but i don't see my self shelling out 40 or so bucks for the backplate too, so wireless charging isn't that big of a deal to me.

Wow that grey looks pretty cool, are you happy with your color choice?

I like the grey. Sometimes, I go with steel as a tile theme for a subtle, monochromatic look; other times I'll liven things up with teal or amber. Only takes a few seconds to change the color, so it's easy to accessorize.

One other thing to think about: there are reports on-line that WP8 users are getting hit with crashes and random reboots,and it seems to be most common with the 8X. Apparently it's not as frequent with the 920, and the articles I've seen -- Windows Phone 8 Hit With Random Reboot Bug - Mobility - Smartphones - Windows Phone 8 reboot woe causes outpouring of forum misery ? The Register -- don't mention the 82X phones. Not everyone has the problem, and there's debate about whether it's related to phone, OS, or carrier (I wouldn't be surprised if it's some interaction among the 3). But some users say their phone is unusable, and that resetting and even exchanging the phone don't necessarily solve the problem.

I haven't had a crash since my 822 arrived Friday, but I don't know if I'm just lucky or that's true generally. Worst thing I've seen is a couple of times when a button in one app or another didn't want to respond for some reason. (It happened once in Pandora, and once in Slacker -- maybe it's got something to do with music apps.)

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I pre-ordered the 8x and rented an 822 until my 8X came in at Best Buy. I went into Best Buy and canceled my 8X pre-order after I fell in love with the 822. Removable battery, expandable storage is key to me. It was always my key gripe to iPhone owners. After playing with it over the weekend, in and out of the mountains, I'm truly excited to have the 822

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I looked at both devices and the design of the 822 and Nokia sold me. I am not a big fan of HTC and the specs are almost identical but in the end the Nokia won.

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I looked at both devices and the design of the 822 and Nokia sold me. I am not a big fan of HTC and the specs are almost identical but in the end the Nokia won.

Agreed, to be quite honest, I didn't really notice THAT much of a difference in the two displays. The 822 looks just fine for what I need in a smart phone. To me, watching HD content on a phone is kind of like watching old people play golf, yeah sure, its 720p but its still on a sub 5" screen...I'll use my Xoom for all that nonsense.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Every phone I've had for the past six years (except the Blackberry that one job made me carry - but I carried my own phone, too) was an HTC. I bought the Nokia. I have nothing against HTC, but when I saw the two phones side by side, I liked the screen of the Nokia better. As for the thickness, my preference isn't a thin phone - I can't hold it comfortably and type if it's too thin - I even put an OtterBox on my 822. I like the styling of both of them, but again, I'm going to put a case on it anyway. I like the Nokia apps exclusives, and that's nothing to shake a stick at. You didn't say what you'll be using the phone for, so it's hard to address that by telling you what exclusive apps might help you, but Nokia has been cranking them out, and lately the pace seems to have been stepped up quite a bit.

The 8x has the Beats audio, but when you plug something into the headset jack (in my case, an aux input to my car stereo) the controls for Dolby and Graphic Equalizer come alive (oddly, hidden in Settings | Audio, scroll down to the bottom), and this phone is no slouch on the audio end at all.

Sure, the screen resolution is lower, but that, combined with the fact that it is an AMOLED screen instead of an LED lit LCD, and you're going to use less juice. Why anyone these days would put an LCD on a phone is beyond me... Anyway, the two phones use the same size batteries, and one has a more efficient screen technology, AND a screen resolution that will use less power.

As tk-093 stated, the expandable memory and removable battery are priceless in a device that you're going to be hanging on to for two years.

Here's another one I don't thing most people will realize. Unless I'm mistaken, there's no gyro in the 8x. I don't see it in the spec sheet. It is plainly listed in the 822's spec sheet. For most applications you won't need it, and it won't make much difference. But for some precision gaming, or apps such as Photosynth (photosynth site) (not currently supported by WP8, but as it is a Microsoft app, I expect it will be before too long), or for augmented reality apps, it can make a difference in how well they work. Don't get me wrong - the apps will still work - the OS compensates - but as a developer, I can tell you that the precision of position aware apps - not just location, but position and motion sensing - will be more accurate, and work more smoothly with a gyro.

Price? I haven't paid much attention to deals on the 8x, so I can't really speak to those fairly. But I got my 822 free. Walked into Best Buy and asked them politely if they would match the price at wireless.walmart.com, which was free (though Walmart's ad said in smaller print that they didn't know when it would ship). I am aware, as well, that wirefly has the 822 in white, gray, and black for $0.99 today as a Black Friday deal, and during that deal, the 8x is $129.99. So when you figure the $40 price of a charging back into the 822, the price difference between them becomes $89.

There are more pros and cons to think about than those you've listed. I'm not trying to tell you which phone is right for you - I don't believe that any one phone is the be-all end-all phone that will make everyone happy. I just want to make sure that you have as much information as you can before you pull the trigger on a two year committment. Good luck with your decision.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)