Nokia Giving Everyone Free Wireless Charging Except Verizon Customers?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Now that Scott732 found the wireless charging backplates for the 822, does anyone else feel shortchanged? It seems like last week every couple hours, wpcentral was putting out an article about yet another wireless provider whose customers were getting wireless charging plates free from Nokia. Has anyone heard about Verizon customers getting one free from Nokia yet? Or the back?

Wireless Charging Cover

madisonjar

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Now that mcskipp found the wireless charging backplates for the 822, does anyone else feel shortchanged? It seems like last week every couple hours, wpcentral was putting out an article about yet another wireless provider whose customers were getting wireless charging plates free from Nokia. Has anyone heard about Verizon customers getting one free from Nokia yet? Or the back?

I havent seen anyone find 822 covers for charging, I dont think they are available yes, but to answer your question I am rubbed the wrong way that it seems like a lot of folks other then us are getting free chargers...I would gladly buy a charging cover if they would give me a free charger!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I havent seen anyone find 822 covers for charging, I dont think they are available yes, but to answer your question I am rubbed the wrong way that it seems like a lot of folks other then us are getting free chargers...I would gladly buy a charging cover if they would give me a free charger!

Yes, they've been found. I credited the wrong guy, but down further in that thread. I'm about to edit my post.

Nokia.Nut

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
It does rub me the wrong way that we have to pay for the wireless charging but at the same time I feel that the 822 needs some kind of case to keep it from getting damaged. I would assume they would not charge as well (if at all) through a case (especially the Otter I was considering picking up). Just as easy to plug in the USB to charge. I would lose the convenience of wireless charging if I had to remove the case every time I wanted to charge my phone.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It does rub me the wrong way that we have to pay for the wireless charging but at the same time I feel that the 822 needs some kind of case to keep it from getting damaged. I would assume they would not charge as well (if at all) through a case (especially the Otter I was considering picking up). Just as easy to plug in the USB to charge. I would lose the convenience of wireless charging if I had to remove the case every time I wanted to charge my phone.

I would expect to lose some efficiency charging through a case as thick as the OtterBox, but I would be sorely disappointed if it wouldn't charge at all.

Anonymous7532479

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Is there some super secret benefit from these wireless charging pads? The phone still has to sit ON the pad right? So, it's essentially saving people the two seconds it takes to plug the charger into the phone? That luxury costs almost $100?

Well, thinking about it a bit more, one possible benefit would be the elimination of wear on the charging "hole" (or whatever the technical term is?). I've had to have a few phones replaced because the metal area got a tiny bit warped and the plugs wouldn't connect and charge.

-mcskipp

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Is there some super secret benefit from these wireless charging pads? The phone still has to sit ON the pad right? So, it's essentially saving people the two seconds it takes to plug the charger into the phone? That luxury costs almost $100?

Well, thinking about it a bit more, one possible benefit would be the elimination of wear on the charging "hole" (or whatever the technical term is?). I've had to have a few phones replaced because the metal area got a tiny bit warped and the plugs wouldn't connect and charge.

-mcskipp

Remember, wireless charging just got good (pre, no...). Uses same wireless charging tech as the 8X Verizon and the Nexus 4. I guarantee in 2 years, it will be very useful, like NFC.

madisonjar

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Think of it this way as well....Look at all the Stereos that are coming out that you just set your phone down and it does NFC transfer of music, and charges it...like someone said no wear and tear on the phone and you can just grab and go! also I dont know about you guys but I have my phone beside my bed and I turn off the light lay down and think crap I forgot to start charging my phone...it would be nice to just set it down and forget about it!

Nokia.Nut

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Looks like the cases (Even the Otterbox) does not have any impact on wireless charging. Got this info un VZW website for the Otterbox....

The OtterBox Defender case for the DROID DNA by HTC offers three layers of protection that protects against bumps, scratches, and drops. Thanks to its versatile design, this case allows users to sync and charge their device through the case. Comes equipped with a holster style ratcheting belt clip that doubles as a kickstand for convenient handsfree multimedia use.

madisonjar

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the cases (Even the Otterbox) does not have any impact on wireless charging. Got this info un VZW website for the Otterbox....

The OtterBox Defender case for the DROID DNA by HTC offers three layers of protection that protects against bumps, scratches, and drops. Thanks to its versatile design, this case allows users to sync and charge their device through the case. Comes equipped with a holster style ratcheting belt clip that doubles as a kickstand for convenient handsfree multimedia use.

I would assume that means the usb hole, I could be wrong...but that reads as though they are talking about the USB port to me, am I wrong?

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
So, $90 total to equip our 822's for wireless charging. Can you say rip off? How about some love Nokia?

Hopefully its a black Friday special and we can call customer service and get the charger. I know AT&T dropped the 920 to $49 for black Friday and they are already giving credits to people who already purchased their 920!

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So, $90 total to equip our 822's for wireless charging. Can you say rip off? How about some love Nokia?

Anyone you know have a corporate discount for VZW? I got all of my gear for about $60 I think. Have you checked your employer on VZW's website if they offer a corp. discount?

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, Mine offers me 25% off. I get the back plate for $29.99 and the charging plate for $37.49. Considering I got the phone for free, I guess that's not bad. For the record, the 25% off does not apply to the $250 JBL speaker. But the speaker is $50 cheaper on Verizon than ATT.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, Mine offers me 25% off. I get the back plate for $29.99 and the charging plate for $37.49. Considering I got the phone for free, I guess that's not bad. For the record, the 25% off does not apply to the $250 JBL speaker. But the speaker is $50 cheaper on Verizon than ATT.

I suppose considering I did get the phone free, and I could get the other stuff 25% off, I guess I shouldn't be complaining too loud.... But why doesn't it apply to the speaker?

radioage54

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Got mine the other day. With my corporate discount -
Nokia Wireless Charging Cover - Black
$29.99

Anti-Scratch Display Protectors (3 Pack)
$9.74

Nokia Wireless Charging Plate DT-900 - Black
$37.49

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12