822 Accessories - One Stop Shop

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully this will help some people, as I keep seeing the same questions in different threads over and over. Let's get a thread of accessories all in one thread, and get it stickified. This one in particular is just of links to Verizon's site, but let's get them together from other places as well. Ok, I've added some links to other sites. Mods, can we get a sticky?

Battery Covers

Charging Plates
Black Charging Plate (Works with OtterBox - Thanks, jmk1127)

White Charging Plate (Works with OtterBox - Thanks, jmk1127)

Black Fatboy Charging Pillow (on Verizon) (works with OtterBox - Thanks, scolab!)​

Battery

Audio

Cases and Protection
OtterBox (black) - (Works with Wireless Charging Cover - Thanks, jmk1127) (Works with Fatboy - Thanks, scolab!)​

OtterBox (White/Gray) - (Works with Wireless Charging Cover - Thanks, jmk1127) (Works with Fatboy - Thanks, scolab!)

Incipio DualPro (two options: Black/Black or Black/Neon Pink)

Incipio DualPro SHINE (two options: Silver/Dark Gray or Silver/Black)

Incipio Feather Case (Black, Cyan, Pink, Grey)

Trident Aegis Case (Black, Blue, Pink, or Green)​
BodyGlove DropSuit (search results on Amazon shows several package deals)​

Verizon's Cases and Packs
Clear Case (and evidence of the possibility of a Cyan Lumia 822?)

Bluetooth Pack (case, belt clip, car charger, bluetooth headset)

High Gloss Silicone Black Case

High Gloss Silicone Blue Case

High Gloss Silicone Pink Case

Power & Protection Pack (case, screen protectors, car charger)

Screen Protectors (pack of 3)​

And remember, if you've got a corporate discount, and you've walked into a store, mention your account, because your discount DOES apply to accessories! Don't forget to check other sites as well. Amazon, ebay, and others can carry the same product and sometimes have better prices.

Last edited:

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: 822 Accessories - One Stop Shop (Links to VZW's Site)

Can you use a case on your 822 and still use the charging plate?

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Is anyone else having trouble viewing Verizon's site on Chrome? It seems like anywhere that links to a verizon page, I get a blank page but on IE9/10 it is perfectly fine......

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

I ordered the holster combo I will try it at a VZW store before I purchase one. I also want to get some feedback on how fast it charges wirelessly.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

For those who have asked, several have posted in other threads that they have had success with the wireless charging and the OtterBox case.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site

I was just at Verizon's today and ask the same question and they said yes with almost all cases except the armor ones they told me. Hope this helps.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

If a mod sees this, can you change the title of this thread, remove "(Links to VZW's Site)"? Unless there's a way for me to do it - I don't see it....

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

I upgrade on Monday. Will definitely be getting the shell and holster combo - and they stock that in-store locally. Looking forward to shelving my Trophy. Have family that purchased the 822, a cousin that got the 920 from AT&T, and some friends that picked up the 8X. I'd think twice if the 920 were $100 on VZW, but I'm very impressed with the 822. $50 right now and a ton of value.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I upgrade on Monday. Will definitely be getting the shell and holster combo - and they stock that in-store locally. Looking forward to shelving my Trophy. Have family that purchased the 822, a cousin that got the 920 from AT&T, and some friends that picked up the 8X. I'd think twice if the 920 were $100 on VZW, but I'm very impressed with the 822. $50 right now and a ton of value.

I'm one who was really upset about the absence of the 920, but I'm loving the 822. Given what I'm seeing in the memory usage, I'd be really upset if I'd bought the 8x, though, with no expansion, and only 16GB. This OS definitely takes more space than Phone7. I would not buy a 16GB that was not expandable. I do wish it had the 920's camera, but since my wife's phone is up for upgrade in January, I'll be watching for that better phone, and she'll take the 822 from me. She really wanted white, and since I got this one free from Best Buy on launch day using the Walmart price matching, it's black, so she's happy to see that Verizon is now selling the other colored standard backs (she's not interested in wireless charging). But I definitely love this phone, and do not regret buying it at all. It's a great step up from Trophy, without a doubt.

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

Can you use a case on your 822 and still use the charging plate?

It depends. I expect the gel flexible cases will fit but I know that the clear hard case does not. Tried, had to return it. It fits the non charging back phone like a glove and is too small for the charging back.

I wonder if aftermarket cases like Incipio will fit either properly...

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

I'm one who was really upset about the absence of the 920, but I'm loving the 822. Given what I'm seeing in the memory usage, I'd be really upset if I'd bought the 8x, though, with no expansion, and only 16GB. This OS definitely takes more space than Phone7. I would not buy a 16GB that was not expandable. I do wish it had the 920's camera, but since my wife's phone is up for upgrade in January, I'll be watching for that better phone, and she'll take the 822 from me. She really wanted white, and since I got this one free from Best Buy on launch day using the Walmart price matching, it's black, so she's happy to see that Verizon is now selling the other colored standard backs (she's not interested in wireless charging). But I definitely love this phone, and do not regret buying it at all. It's a great step up from Trophy, without a doubt.

I'm another one that's not interested in the wireless charging. The small amount of storage on the 8X was a dealbreaker. The lack of microSD expansion on the 920 made me less enthused about it, even if it did hit VZW at this point. The 820's cover makes the phone seem pretty close to unibody, so I don't know why they could not have done something similar on the 920. I like how the SD storage is hidden, so you don't have cheap plastic doors that can break.

I'm an old Zune Music Pass subscriber, so I would like to retire my Zune HD and have a single device, but that thing has 32GB dedicated to music and I use most of it. I have no interest in having to use my data package to stream music. That's the strange thing about the 8X. For a device that was designed with music in mind, it has so little storage for the music. 32GB may have made me reconsider, but the pull of the Nokia apps, the lure of expandable storage, and the practicality of battery replacement make the 822 the obvious choice for me. I was talking to one of the VZW people not too long after the phones came out and he was puzzled why I wanted the 822. After I explained the advantages, even he wanted the 822 (he had the 8X as his work phone).

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

@MacPhisto: Yeah... And with how the different colored backs are becoming available, now, I'm liking how only the edge of the phone is really the color of the phone, so you can change the back, and most of the phone is the color of the new back, so my wife, who wanted the white, will be happy now, for only $20 ($15, since I get a discount).

Also, re your Zune pass music, I'm sure you've been following and are aware of the nightmare that is music syncing on WP8, right? I'm sure they'll fix it, (at least I hope they do), but for now.... For me the nightmare is podcasts, but I do a little bit of music, so probably not as much a nightmare, but still a royal pain. Had to switch from the pleasure of Zune to iTunes through WP Desktop, which doesn't work right, and if you have a podcast paused, it will cause the program to throw an exception when it gets to that podcast, or if XBox Music app is open on the phone, it will throw the desktop app for an exception as soon as you hit sync. Nice. Also, it apparently writes EVERY file to the phone each time you sync, not just the new files. So be prepared for long syncs.

@BigBoy29: Yes, I'd expect that the more rigid cases would not like the charging back, but I was rather surprised when I saw a post where someone was able to use the OtterBox with it. I can't recall if I've seen the same success with the Incipio case or not. If someone has had that success, I'd be interested in knowing it.

<Edit> Hmm.... A search of the site reveals that maybe I didn't see what I thought I saw... So I've submitted the question to the OtterBox site to ask them if it will fit.

Last edited:

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

hopmedic said:
Also, re your Zune pass music, I'm sure you've been following and are aware of the nightmare that is music syncing on WP8, right? I'm sure they'll fix it, (at least I hope they do), but for now.... For me the nightmare is podcasts, but I do a little bit of music, so probably not as much a nightmare, but still a royal pain. Had to switch from the pleasure of Zune to iTunes through WP Desktop, which doesn't work right, and if you have a podcast paused, it will cause the program to throw an exception when it gets to that podcast, or if XBox Music app is open on the phone, it will throw the desktop app for an exception as soon as you hit sync. Nice. Also, it apparently writes EVERY file to the phone each time you sync, not just the new files. So be prepared for long syncs.

This is my big concern. I've read about all the music syncing issues. How well do the Podcasts work if I just download them over wifi directly to the phone?

It's areal shame this has gone backwards because syncing to the phone or the Zune HD with the Zune software worked quite well.

The one other thing I've never been satisfied with in the MS world of music is the lack of gapless music playback. The ZuneHD will sometimes do it, but only with non-DRM music. It will never do gapless with music pass content. It's annoying when listening to a concert or something like Abbey Road. I believe Android does gapless. I know iPhone does. WP not doing it is an embarrassment, especially considering MS' wealth of software engineers.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Podcasts will work downloading OTA either over WiFi or cell (if the file size is small enough), or even streaming. My problem is that I don't want to have to manage it. I was doing them in my Zune HD, because of Trophy's limited storage, but now with a 64GB card I wanted to eliminate the extra device.

Problem is the casts I listen to are best sequential, so I want the setting to be oldest first. Fine, but you have to mark the old ones played, and in order to do that, you have to download them and mark them each played one at a time, and a couple of them have hundreds of episodes. I had to download them all into iTunes as well, but at least I could mark them all played at once. I may end up going back to the Zune, but I'm going to try to stuck this out in the hopes of a fix soon. In fact, there was a story yesterday I think about an update and I forgot to check for it when I got home. I don't know if it was for the metro app or the desktop beta app - the story wasn't clear iirc.

But yeah, it is rather disgusting how they went backward, by YEARS, with the media management.

The hapless playback never really bothered me, but I guess I can see how it could.

webguynj

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

The Nokia site has some awesome colors shown for the wireless Charging backs - does anyone know where to buy these colors? Verizon doen't have them.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

The Nokia site has some awesome colors shown for the wireless Charging backs - does anyone know where to buy these colors? Verizon doen't have them.

Unless you've got a link, I see the ones for the 820, but I'm not seeing any for the 822 on Nokia's site.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3