822 Screen

justwar88

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I realize that the 822 screen isn't comparable to the 920 ( Or so I have heard, Never Seen a 920 in person) but man I think the screen is kick ass.. I mean seriously.. I compared it to my trophy and it was 100X better.. I had a SGSII when I was with sprint and to me the screen has a much better resolution than that phone. I don't see what the big deal is but I think it is great.. I love this phone.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Actually, while I have not seen the 822 and the 920 side by side, I've seen others post that the screen of the 820 (same screen as 822) l have seen others state that the 820 has a better looking screen as far as the color/contrast. Of course the 920 has higher resolution, so you'll see sharper images on the hi-res prespective, but the blacks are blacker on the 820 because of the screen type, I've heard you can see the 820's screen better in the sunlight than the 920.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
You can tell when the text is small that it isn't 720, but that's the only time... Doesn't bother me and I came from the GS3.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
The text is noticeably different to me, but the color and contrast are really, really good.

I agree on this, though I think it is only noticeable when next to a higher res phone. The text has a softer look on the 822 and is not as crisp as on the 8X or the 920. That's the only noticeable difference. For images and most anything else the differences are not terribly noticeable. In fact, the 822 often looks better due to the contrast, brightness, and color saturation. I'm not sure why a manufacturer would go with an LCD on a phone when there are HD AMOLED displays available, unless Samsung is hoarding those for their own use.

The 920 has a nice display that is very smooth due to its fast refresh rate for a phone, but it suffers from washout and cannot as accurately recreate colors as the 820/822 - especially blacks.

There have been several people that have knocked the 800x480 screen as being a terrible thing. Would it be nice to have a higher resolution? Sure, but the 822 does have a very nice screen and the main tradeoff of softer looking text is something that many can live with. It doesn't make text unable to be read.

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree on this, though I think it is only noticeable when next to a higher res phone. The text has a softer look on the 822 and is not as crisp as on the 8X or the 920. That's the only noticeable difference. For images and most anything else the differences are not terribly noticeable. In fact, the 822 often looks better due to the contrast, brightness, and color saturation. I'm not sure why a manufacturer would go with an LCD on a phone when there are HD AMOLED displays available, unless Samsung is hoarding those for their own use.

The 920 has a nice display that is very smooth due to its fast refresh rate for a phone, but it suffers from washout and cannot as accurately recreate colors as the 820/822 - especially blacks.

There have been several people that have knocked the 800x480 screen as being a terrible thing. Would it be nice to have a higher resolution? Sure, but the 822 does have a very nice screen and the main tradeoff of softer looking text is something that many can live with. It doesn't make text unable to be read.

From what I've seen and read, those that attack the screen resolution are often people who have never even experienced the 822, and are relying purely on the numbers. "Oh well its not the same as the iPhone, must be rubbish...I think I'll spam multiple forums and reviews as such..." :)

downstevedown

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
It's definitely a good display, it's just noticeable when you switch from a 720 device like the Galaxy Nexus. One thing I really like about it is the outdoor readability.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I agree the screen is just fantastic. Much better than my old Droid X (just sold it on ebay for $65 + shipping BTW!). Images and video look great and the colors just pop. For me to notice the issue with texts, I have to really get close to the display and stare at the letters and numbers until I am cross eyed to really notice it. If I have to go that far to see the problem, then it really isn't a problem.

madisonjar

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Screen is great and I am one of those coming from a Gs3 and I5...the only time I noticed the low rez is when watching movie trailers..is it a deal breaker for me, no I have tvs to watch movies on, but I can understand those that want to watch videos and movies on higher rez screens (like what the wife transferred on the GS3 commercial, it would need to be crystal clear, lol, j/k I dont use my phone for that stuff, hence I am fine with low rez)

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
The screen (and form factor) is really the only difference between the 822 and the 8X. (yeah yeah SD card slot on the 822 too). It just depends on who you are I guess. I don't care about having the latest and greatest screen tech on my phone. I do care a lot about battery life though and that usually means I will settle for a lower res screen or at least a screen that doesn't use as much juice, like AMOLED - 822 vs LCD2 - 8X.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The screen (and form factor) is really the only difference between the 822 and the 8X. (yeah yeah SD card slot on the 822 too). It just depends on who you are I guess. I don't care about having the latest and greatest screen tech on my phone. I do care a lot about battery life though and that usually means I will settle for a lower res screen or at least a screen that doesn't use as much juice, like AMOLED - 822 vs LCD2 - 8X.

Don't forget the Beats audio - I'm sure that'll take some juice, too! But listening to the 822 hooked to my car stereo, it is no slouch, that's for sure. If you have something plugged into the headset jack (in this case, a cable to the aux input of the car stereo), the dolby and graphic equalizer controls (oddly, hidden away in the settings/audio, scrolled way down near the bottom) come to life, and they make QUITE a difference. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99