Nokia 822 Random Lock Ups and Reboots?

mjmartin01

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I have no case on my grey 822 and it shuts off at least 4 times a day. When is this so called update coming out????? I'm about to send this one back and get a new one...

C

corn13read

happens to me and my mum randomly and the stupid volume goes to 20/30 every time. very annoying.

MorbidFun

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
After another reboot this am, I tried it. We'll see if it works. Here's how I did it and actually did see the exclamation point:
1. Turn phone off. Not asleep, but all the way off.
2. Plug phone in and at the same time, pressed power button and volume down button, then released and held down the volume down button. The exclamation point came up.
3. Press/hold power button until it restarted again.

Now I'll wait and see if it happens again....

Unfortunately, this process did not work for me. After I did this procedure the results looked promising, but it did the same unresponsive behavior this morning before I had to get up for work. Thankfully my wife's phone alarm was set to the same time otherwise I would have been late. I hope the update for this phone is released soon. I really like this phone and do not want to get rid of it.

DreamerD

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
This doesn't work simply because the process is not complete. You got the phone into recovery mode but never completed the recovery. This is from the Nokia website:
Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8
Step 1
Make sure the charger is disconnected.
1. Switch the power Off.
2. Press and hold the Volume down and connect the charger, if succeed an exclamation mark (!) is shown on the screen.
(To cancel OS reset and exit to the normal mode, press the Volume Down + Power Key and hold them for 10 seconds).
Step 2
Then input Keys in the following order:
1. Volume up
2. Volume down
3. Power
4. Volume down
Step 3
The phone will reset and boot up automatically. Please note that this may take several minutes.
Note: this will restore your phone to factory and erase all data.Really don't want to jinx it for myself but since I did this two days ago not a single reboot. Of course it's to early to celebrate, but I was locking up and rebooting a few times a day starting with the ride from VZ store with a brand new 822. Hope this helps someone.

Adam Ackerman

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Mine has been doing it more and more over the past few days, even did it last night while i was asleep, but had reset before my alarm went off, thankfully. DreamerD, interested to hear if it reboots on you again. I would hate to have to redo the whole thing for nothing lol. one thing i have that I wondered if was causing the issue is this stupid IM+ app, seems like it crashes a lot, be nice if we had a good yahoo app.

fordm

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
My Lumina 822 freezes about 3 times a week. Getting tired of pulling battery.

Is a firmware or software fix coming? Is it hardware? Do I need a replacement with same or different phone to fix problem?

tomxteam

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Rumor is Verizon will release update by EOM. Verizon soo drags their feet. If it wasn't for the stellar service in my area I'd dropped them long ago, especially since I have such 920 envy.

I'm hitting this at least one or two times a day. I find if I turn off Bluetooth it doesn't happen as much. I got Network Dashboard, so I've pinned Bluetooth, but it's pretty annoying to turn off Bluetooth every time I step out of the car. Not sure which is worse, turn off Bluetooth or holding Vol/Pwr 2x a day, right now I'm favoring the two button salute!

Cerif27

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Rumor is Verizon will release update by EOM. Verizon soo drags their feet. If it wasn't for the stellar service in my area I'd dropped them long ago, especially since I have such 920 envy.

I'm hitting this at least one or two times a day. I find if I turn off Bluetooth it doesn't happen as much. I got Network Dashboard, so I've pinned Bluetooth, but it's pretty annoying to turn off Bluetooth every time I step out of the car. Not sure which is worse, turn off Bluetooth or holding Vol/Pwr 2x a day, right now I'm favoring the two button salute!

I'm visiting from a different, possibly related forum. Any of you guys notice that after a lockup your live tiles won't update anymore? I had a lockup playing music in my car immediately after turning off the bluetooth. I think it's all possibly related back to bluetooth. This ring true for anyone else? Never had this problem before portico...also never turned on bluetooth before it either so that's not admissible.

Dswanson26

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have new Nokia 822 on Verizon. It locked up once today and rebooted twice. The reboots happened when I was on a telephone call and tapped the button to switch to Bluetooth. Bang, reboot. The first lockup I was trying to make a bluetooth call.

Cerif27

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I have new Nokia 822 on Verizon. It locked up once today and rebooted twice. The reboots happened when I was on a telephone call and tapped the button to switch to Bluetooth. Bang, reboot. The first lockup I was trying to make a bluetooth call.

Did you nnotice if your live tiles stopped updating on their own?

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
+1 The lock ups for me are unrelated to any specific action. Just now mine locked up when receiving a phone call. The symptoms are the same though, no control of the phone, which appears to be working otherwise. This time I answered the phone with Bluetooth and it just kept ringing.

tomxteam

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if there's any point, but I went into the Verizon store and had them order me a replacement device today. I'll report back if I still see the same issues. I'm still averaging about 1-2 reboots/freezes a day. Already one this morning.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Kyderr, it's known that there is a problem with the bluetooth stack, as they completely rewrote it for WP8, and I think it was WPCentral's podcast where I first heard someone else who suspected a BT problem other than myself (almost all of my reboots/lockups have been while doing something with BT linked). Just FYI.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah..... WWF isn't all it's cracked up to be, if you ask me. The only thing it has going for it is the people who were on it before it came to Windows Phone. I've got one game still going, and as soon as it's done, I'm uninstalling. Words By Post is the Scrabble game for me.

redright88

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I have had the same issue of locking with my 2 week old 822. I got the phone at Radio Shack and they went through the phone reset and thought it would take care of things which it didn't. I called Nokia and was given the same volume down off button reset with no help. Radio Shack swapped out the phone tonight for a new 822. During the exchange the Radio Shack employee questioned if the memory card installed was Windows compatible. I told him the gentleman who sold me the phone installed it for me and I didnt know. He checked and sure enough, it wasn't, only Android certified. I never knew the memory cards are certified to work in different OS's. He had a "newer" 32G card that stated on the back of the package, Windows Compatible. The phone is noticiable quicker, loaded all my previous settings/apps in much less time and has a better overall feel. I know its only been a few hours, but this seems to have solved the issue. The Radio Shack employee that assisted me said he previously worked for ATT for 6 years and the memory card issue with Windows Phones has been there since the inception of the phones and will cause locking and freezing as the phone is having trouble reading and accessing the card when not compatible. I thought this was worth letting others know as this seems like a logical solution to a very frustrating problem. I guess you can pull your memory card from the phone, reset and see if the locking continues if someone would want to test it. Thanks and good luck!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have had the same issue of locking with my 2 week old 822. I got the phone at Radio Shack and they went through the phone reset and thought it would take care of things which it didn't. I called Nokia and was given the same volume down off button reset with no help. Radio Shack swapped out the phone tonight for a new 822. During the exchange the Radio Shack employee questioned if the memory card installed was Windows compatible. I told him the gentleman who sold me the phone installed it for me and I didnt know. He checked and sure enough, it wasn't, only Android certified. I never knew the memory cards are certified to work in different OS's. He had a "newer" 32G card that stated on the back of the package, Windows Compatible. The phone is noticiable quicker, loaded all my previous settings/apps in much less time and has a better overall feel. I know its only been a few hours, but this seems to have solved the issue. The Radio Shack employee that assisted me said he previously worked for ATT for 6 years and the memory card issue with Windows Phones has been there since the inception of the phones and will cause locking and freezing as the phone is having trouble reading and accessing the card when not compatible. I thought this was worth letting others know as this seems like a logical solution to a very frustrating problem. I guess you can pull your memory card from the phone, reset and see if the locking continues if someone would want to test it. Thanks and good luck!

With Windows Phone 7, memory cards were not originally supported by Windows Phone, but Samsung (not sure if others) put one in the Focus anyway. Since they did that, Microsoft added support, but only for "certified" cards. There were ways out there on the net to "make" a card "Windows Phone certified", but I don't know how well that worked. Now that I think about it, I think I recall seeing an article on how to add a card to a Trophy, but it involved disassembly of the phone to get to the card slot, so I never bothered (I never ran against the limit with my Trophy).

Fast forward to Windows Phone 8, and this is no longer an issue. Windows Phone 8 doesn't require cards that are "certified" for Windows Phone.

When I first started reading your post, I was thinking that this was a salesman who took you for a ride. But when I got to where he worked for ATT, there's the possibility that he's just working on stale information (the Samsung Focus was an ATT phone, after all). There certainly is no longer a need for "Windows Phone Certified" cards. Also note that "Windows Compatible" does not mean "Windows Phone Compatible".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes