This again?

Windows Central Podcast 37: Windows 10 Mobile is still dead

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
Like Tree3Likes
  1. tcedwards's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    159 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    I have wanted a windows phone for a long time. Especially a lumia. But when the 822 came out on verzion i was disappointed. First off on other companies the color choice is amazing, but verizon only has black white and grey. The grey (the one i would buy) isn't wireless charging. I am in love with the 920, but the look of the 822 is modest at best for me. And i am also scared that right when i buy the 822, they will release a 920 for verizon.

    (and just so everyone knows, i am a huge fan of nokia and their lumia line. Also i am a huge fan of windows phone 8. Im just disappointed with the cosmetics if the 822)
  2. 12Danny123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,335 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    dude. both Verizon and Nokia are in a stage where they need to fix up their relationship. so they start small. as 2 months go by. they will have a much better phone. maybe even better than the 920. this is how stuff goes by man. you need to know that
  3. tcedwards's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    159 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    i forgot to ask my question lol, i was gonna ask is the 822 worth it, or should i wait?
  4. 12Danny123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,335 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    oh. ok :-). um. I think maybe wait a little longer. because we are near the end of the year and you could have the MS surface phone coming to your carrier
  5. tcedwards's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    159 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by 12Danny123 View Post
    dude. both Verizon and Nokia are in a stage where they need to fix up their relationship. so they start small. as 2 months go by. they will have a much better phone. maybe even better than the 920. this is how stuff goes by man. you need to know that
    yes i understand, but if people dnt complain abouy this, theu will keep making phones just like the 822, complaining leads to better devices and upgrades. So
  6. 12Danny123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,335 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    well. it depends on tem though. not really the person. and if it turns bad. then that is when MS gets involved and makes a phone for Verizon and Nokia for AT&T
  7. ontapbjt's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    I purchased my 822 on Verizon thinking that it would be a holdover until a better phone comes along. I am extremely happy with the 822. I've changed my mind and will probably keep it until/if Nokia brings something amazing to Verizon. It would probably have to be something better than a 922 for me to switch at this point. Go for the 822 you won't be disappointed.
  8. Steven Piazza's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    You can afford to buy a "hold over" phone? plan to purchase the next one off contract?

    I'm in the same spot. Like the 920 but only have 822 as an option. I hope there will be another lumia coming for vzw. Been eligible for an upgrade for over a year.
  9. o4liberty's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    307 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,309 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    I had the 820 before the 822 and by far the quality and fit and finish is superior! Its just a phone and as long as it is functional then I am happy.
  10. ontapbjt's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Piazza View Post
    You can afford to buy a "hold over" phone? plan to purchase the next one off contract?

    I'm in the same spot. Like the 920 but only have 822 as an option. I hope there will be another lumia coming for vzw. Been eligible for an upgrade for over a year.
    I have another upgrade on my family plan that comes due in January. Now that I own the 822 I won't be in a hurry to upgrade unless something extraordinary comes along.
  11. Hammered Pizza's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Don't like the 822? It's not your only option. The 8X is a beautiful piece of hardware, and (on Verizon) has wireless charging.
  12. tcman88's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    359 Posts
    Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by tcedwards View Post
    i forgot to ask my question lol, i was gonna ask is the 822 worth it, or should i wait?
    I have the 920 and 822 and honestly my 822 performs about the same in many similar functions. Also at least for me my 822's battery last about 24 hours whereas on my 920 its about 6 hours. When it comes to look and camera functionality 920 is superior
    Last edited by tcman88; 11-24-2012 at 10:46 AM.
  13. hopmedic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5,169 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,260 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ontapbjt View Post
    I have another upgrade on my family plan that comes due in January. Now that I own the 822 I won't be in a hurry to upgrade unless something extraordinary comes along.
    This is the position in in. I expect that this spring they will have a better phone, and I really want the camera on the 920. The rest of the specs vs the 822 don't really matter to me. Screen resolution on a screen that small? I'm 45 years old. My eyes aren't what they used to be, so I'm not looking to watch any HD video on my phone. I do like the dark blacks and vibrant colors of the 822 vs the 8x, though, but I haven't had a chance to go side by side with a 920 yet.
  14. gibbyhome's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    563 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    I was hearing that there will be a 922 before the end of the year is this still true ?
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
  15. Hammered Pizza's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbyhome View Post
    I was hearing that there will be a 922 before the end of the year is this still true ?
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    This is not true. While there may eventually be a variation of the 920 for other carriers, it's an AT&T exclusive for 6 months. Making a slightly different shape and rebadging it as they have with the 822 does not get around that.
  16. hopmedic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5,169 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,260 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammered Pizza View Post
    This is not true. While there may eventually be a variation of the 920 for other carriers, it's an AT&T exclusive for 6 months. Making a slightly different shape and rebadging it as they have with the 822 does not get around that.
    That all depends on what the contract says. None of us knows the exact definition of "exclusive" so the odds are very good that changing just one spec makes it a new phone. Put in a micro SD slot and we're golden, perhaps.
    Last edited by hopmedic; 11-25-2012 at 10:13 PM.
  17. lordofthereef's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    656 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    That all depends on what the contract says. None of us knows the exact definition of "exclusive" so the odds are very good that changing just one spec makes it a new phone. Put in a micro SD slot and we're gooden, perhaps.
    this sounds like pretty wishful thinking. Can you give an example of this ever happening before? I certainly can't, so I'd say chances are slim. Buy you're right. We don't know the exact terms.
  18. Hammered Pizza's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    These contracts are watertight. At any rate, they need AT&T's support - annoy them and they'd lose one of the top 2 US carriers.
  19. scottcraft's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,401 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,535 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    I think the 822 is a great value, especially if you get it from Best Buy or Wal-Mart. I bought mine at Verizon on launch day and I think it was money well spent. The 8X is very nice too. If my store would have had one in stock when I bought I very well might have bought it, it feels much better in the hand than the 822.
  20. odin09's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    563 Posts
    Global Posts
    569 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    If you are happy with what you have now I would wait for six months to see what will be coming out. From what I have read we should hear about a few new devices in March. Hopefully if Verizon gets a top tier phone Nokia will have worked out some of the issues by then. If not, grab the 822, so far it seems to be the most trouble free handset. I am due in May so I'm hoping for more options myself.
  21. hopmedic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5,169 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,260 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    this sounds like pretty wishful thinking. Can you give an example of this ever happening before? I certainly can't, so I'd say chances are slim. Buy you're right. We don't know the exact terms.
    Never said it had or would happen. Only that it could. It all depends on what the contract says, but since none of us knows what it says, there's no way of knowing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammered Pizza View Post
    These contracts are watertight. At any rate, they need AT&T's support - annoy them and they'd lose one of the top 2 US carriers.
    Got a copy of this watertight contract I can read? I'd like to be as in the know.
  22. Hammered Pizza's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    Got a copy of this watertight contract I can read? I'd like to be as in the know.
    No need to get snide. It's common knowledge, and has been intimated by Dan and others in the articles on the main site.
  23. independentvolume's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    744 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,264 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    The 820 is an at&t exclusive, Verizon got an 822, which is a, wait for it, variant of at&ts 820. Throw a quad core in that beast and slightly alter the body. Totally doable.
  24. stephen_az's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,268 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,302 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    Never said it had or would happen. Only that it could. It all depends on what the contract says, but since none of us knows what it says, there's no way of knowing.

    Got a copy of this watertight contract I can read? I'd like to be as in the know.
    The world might also end next month; Google and Apple might merge; the earth's magnetic poles may flip; etc., etc., etc. - they also all "could" happen but are just about as likely. Spinning wishful thinking does no one any favors. It is an AT&T exclusive for six months and that is the end of the story.
    Hammered Pizza likes this.
  25. stephen_az's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,268 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,302 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by independentvolume View Post
    The 820 is an at&t exclusive, Verizon got an 822, which is a, wait for it, variant of at&ts 820. Throw a quad core in that beast and slightly alter the body. Totally doable.
    ....and you keep thinking those happy thoughts and, wait for it, there will still be no 920 equivalent until six months are up with AT&T. The 820 is not a flagship phone, nor is the 822. VZW has made the 8X their flagship exclusive. Business is business and the top line Nokia is an AT&T exclusive. There will be no "almost" or rebadged versions because 1) Nokia has much deeper ties with AT&T and 2) corporate litigation and class action suits would follow very quickly.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Prediction: Microsoft/Nokia will disappoint at MWC
    By HeyCori in forum Site Feedback & Help
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 03-01-2012, 02:35 PM
  2. New dummy phone spotted at Verizon Wireless store.
    By illegaloperation in forum Upcoming & Rumored Windows Phones
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-13-2012, 10:07 AM
  3. Experience at Verizon Wireless store
    By illegaloperation in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-27-2012, 01:02 PM
  4. Sad state of the Trophy at Verizon
    By rubytuesday007 in forum HTC Trophy
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 12:58 PM
  5. The Android bias at Verizon continues...
    By ranzabar in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 10-04-2011, 01:05 PM

Posting Permissions

";