My first Windows Phone

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I bought some shares of Nokia this summer because I anticipated for them to come out with a decent line of Windows phones. I went and checked them out at the local Verizon store and I am blown away. The screen is only 4.3 inches by I could not notice a difference in size when compared to my Galaxy Nexus (4.65 screen). I saw Walmart's special and I knew now was time to pull the trigger. I ordered a white Nokia 822 this morning and cannot wait for FedEx to come here. I understand the development community is large for WP yet, but I am sure it will be eventually. I can't wait to get this phone in the mail. Any suggestions for starter apps are more than welcomed. Thanks again and I excited to join this community.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm leaning more towards switching from my black 822 to the white. I was in a Verizon store checking it out yesterday and it felt much less slippery than the black.

Its a great phone, hope you love it. I loved the Trophy and I can't believe how much better the 822 is.

sullibr01

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Its a great phone, hope you love it. I loved the Trophy and I can't believe how much better the 822 is.

I have the Trophy as well, and it has been a very solid performer for me. I understand all the spec differences, but am interested to hear what in particular was the biggest improvement you see over your Trophy? I know it should be, but is the 822 camera noticeably better than the Trophy's?

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the Trophy as well, and it has been a very solid performer for me. I understand all the spec differences, but am interested to hear what in particular was the biggest improvement you see over your Trophy? I know it should be, but is the 822 camera noticeably better than the Trophy's?

As a Trophy owner I am interested in answers on this one too. How does the camera compare not only in image quality but also in speed? How is call quality? These are the main negative areas in most 822 reviews so I am curious.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I haven't taken a ton of pictures, but they are noticeably better to my eyes. I took a night shot last night that came out much better than I expected. Call quality seems fine to me, but I never had any issues with the Trophy in that regard.

The biggest change is the screen and speed. The screen is larger and quite brighter and easier to see, especially outdoors. The speed too, it opens everything so much quicker.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Agreed about the Trophy call quality being solid. Some professional 822 reviews have said that 822 call quality was poor and scratchy. I have heard nothing but positives from actual user reviews.

alfonskr

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The screen is probably the biggest difference between the 822 and the trophy. The trophy screen just looks dull and blah next to my 822.

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Any suggestions for starter apps are more than welcomed. Thanks again and I excited to join this community.

I'd suggest looking in the Marketplace Apps forum and looking through people's top 10 apps and apps they have pinned (both topics are pinned to the top of that forum). In deciding whether I should go with a WP8, I went through a few pages and checked out ones I hadn't heard of in the Windows Store to give me an idea of what is available and what I would want on my phone. Not sure about your interests but there is a wide selection mentioned in there that I found helpful.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I had the Nokia Lumia 922 for a few days and actually like the 822 more. Its lighter and feels much better in the hand. I do wish the white backing was a matte finish but the glossiness isn't glaring and overall build quality feels solid. The 822 is an underrated little phone.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I bought some shares of Nokia this summer because I anticipated for them to come out with a decent line of Windows phones. I went and checked them out at the local Verizon store and I am blown away. The screen is only 4.3 inches by I could not notice a difference in size when compared to my Galaxy Nexus (4.65 screen). I saw Walmart's special and I knew now was time to pull the trigger. I ordered a white Nokia 822 this morning and cannot wait for FedEx to come here. I understand the development community is large for WP yet, but I am sure it will be eventually. I can't wait to get this phone in the mail. Any suggestions for starter apps are more than welcomed. Thanks again and I excited to join this community.

I hope you like your phone but if you can't tell the difference between the two screen sizes someone is dimensionally challenged. If there is one thing I have found to be most obvious while doing comparison shopping is the 822 is tiny in comparison to the surrounding phones in the store displays on Phoenix. The Galaxy Nexus is very much in line with those larger devices. This, BTW, is not a pitch for larger screens. I personally hate them and will not buy one. I actually find the 8X next to the 822 in displays to be awkward simply because of its elongated form factor. Its screen is obviously a higher resolution but I will not buy it due to the device size alone. FWIW, the 822 looks to me like a logical progression up from the Trophy in both specs and form factor and is why I will buy it. In the current array of smartphones though it definitely counts as a small device...

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Congrats on your new phone. I'm sure you will love it. The 920 is my first W8 and Nokia phone....and I doubt I will ever go back to android or defect to apple. And this is the best quality phone that I have ever owned. I love this phone. I wish I would have bought some Nokia stock over the summer. It might still be a good value and do better then the best buy stock I've been sitting on.

Starter aps? Weave, iHartRadio, CNN, Fandango, even Yahoo is pretty good.

rpm1984

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
My white 822 is so far my favorite phone I have ever had. The UI is aesthetically so crisp and clean in my opinion it outshines any android device and that blah grid of ios. I haven't had a windows phone since winmo back in 2007 which I liked a lot at the time but went from that back to a dumb phone then to android. I don't see myself ever owning anything but this windows phone. It took some time but now everything is now synced seamlessly from my pc to my phone (except song playlists which I just haven't put any time into yet) Also everything is seamless between my wifes phone and pc and mine. I am so impressed by the whole ecosystem and it is just getting started. I am a serious nokia fan boy now as well. the build quality is really great, the reception has been excellent and the nokia apps are all major pluses. You wont be disappointed with this phone!

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I hope you like your phone but if you can't tell the difference between the two screen sizes someone is dimensionally challenged. If there is one thing I have found to be most obvious while doing comparison shopping is the 822 is tiny in comparison to the surrounding phones in the store displays on Phoenix. The Galaxy Nexus is very much in line with those larger devices. This, BTW, is not a pitch for larger screens. I personally hate them and will not buy one. I actually find the 8X next to the 822 in displays to be awkward simply because of its elongated form factor. Its screen is obviously a higher resolution but I will not buy it due to the device size alone. FWIW, the 822 looks to me like a logical progression up from the Trophy in both specs and form factor and is why I will buy it. In the current array of smartphones though it definitely counts as a small device...

Obviously there is a difference, I am saying that switching back and forth between phones isn't as noticeable as it would be with an iPhone. I am just saying it is not a dramatic difference. Thanks for the snide remark.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on your purchase! I, too, picked up a handful of Nokia stock this summer, and having seen what they came out with this fall, I'm glad I did.

To those asking about how 822 compares to Trophy, I picked up a Trophy on launch day, and I picked up an 822 on launch day as well. Call quality - I don't notice a whole lot of difference on my end, as I go through the car stereo most of the time, but I do notice that the 822 is louder, so easier to hear. My wife, on the other hand, says that talking to me is better now - she says that whether I'm talking straight into the 822 or through the car stereo (bluetooth/hands free), it sounds MUCH better to her. Now, I think that without the bluetooth, it has to do with the extra mic for the noise reduction, but with the bluetooth, I'm not sure that has anything to do with it. I wouldn't expect the extra mic to be working when the BT is on, but I may be wrong. Either way, she said the sound of my voice through the car's hands free is more rich, doesn't sound like I'm in a tunnel like it does with the Trophy, and just plain sounds MUCH better.

Performance comparision? Well, I'm just plain impressed with how quickly most apps open up. Exception would be the more graphic intesive games, but as an example, if you've ever opened the Fox News app, and watched the spotlights scanning back and forth several times before the app shows you the news list, wait no more. Those spotlights don't even get to scan across the sky once before the app is up. That's just one example. Checking in on 4th & Mayor is a lot quicker, as well.

Photos - I haven't taken many photos, and all the photos I've taken are pretty much just snapshots where I wasn't really being as still as I could be to keep from blurring, but even with what I've taken, I'm quite impressed with what comes from the phone, especially compared to my old Trophy. This is not the best camera in a phone, but it is a FAR cry from the worst. I've got more than $10,000 worth of digital SLR equipment if you consider retail prices, so I know what I'm talking about, but I also know that I haven't really tried with it yet. I've just taken a few snapshots.

Here are a couple of the rose plant that I got my wife for Mother's day this spring... The first one, it was dusk, and I hesitated while walking, but really didn't stop and stand still.
Roses

This one was around noon, and I did a better job of standing still. I don't recall, so I still can't swear that I did my best work, but it looks pretty good.
Roses

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo