Can't set up gmail account

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Why can't I set up my Gmail account on this phone. It starts syncing but it gives me a message saying that Google account information is incorrect. I know I'm putting in the correct password. My other email account which is a sbcglobal.net was no problem. Any ideas?

AlexRodriguezNY

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Why can't I set up my Gmail account on this phone. It starts syncing but it gives me a message saying that Google account information is incorrect. I know I'm putting in the correct password. My other email account which is a sbcglobal.net was no problem. Any ideas?

Create your google account in outlook, at first it is going to tell you can't sign in but keep trying until it gives you the option advance, then choose advance and type your whole gmail(example@gmail.com) ,type your password,leave domain in blank and on server type m.google.com and sign in. It should work. 😉

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Create your google account in outlook, at first it is going to tell you can't sign in but keep trying until it gives you the option advance, then choose advance and type your whole gmail(example@gmail.com) ,type your password,leave domain in blank and on server type m.google.com and sign in. It should work. ��
Thanks for the help. Forgive my ignorance, but where do I go to do that? Do you have a link or website? I know very little about the Microsoft environment. I created a Microsoft account yesterday because I knew I was gonna need it to access the WP store with this phone.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Create your google account in outlook, at first it is going to tell you can't sign in but keep trying until it gives you the option advance, then choose advance and type your whole gmail(example@gmail.com) ,type your password,leave domain in blank and on server type m.google.com and sign in. It should work. 😉
Ok Alex, I see what you meant and couldn't get it to work anyways. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

kingbobyjr

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Create your google account in outlook, at first it is going to tell you can't sign in but keep trying until it gives you the option advance, then choose advance and type your whole gmail(example@gmail.com) ,type your password,leave domain in blank and on server type m.google.com and sign in. It should work. 

Is there a reason NOT to use the Google option under Add An Account?

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Is there a reason NOT to use the Google option under Add An Account?

That was the first thing I did, then it starts syncing and you think you're good to go. However, soon you get a message saying that your Google account information is incorrect. So I don't know what's going on with this. I came from from BlackBerry so I'm shocked to see that this is an issue here. Email set up was so easy on BlackBerry.

Nokia.Nut

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue and couldn't get it to work so I just forwarded all my gmail to my live .com acct and had gmail delete them so as to not fill up my gmail. Works fine so far.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
You shouldn't have an issue with this I would call Verizon tech support and they will be able to help you. I had a similar issue on my trophy it wouldn't let me set up a Comcast account.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't have an issue with this I would call Verizon tech support and they will be able to help you. I had a similar issue on my trophy it wouldn't let me set up a Comcast account.
Hmmm...I never thought of this being an issue on Verizon's end. Perhaps I'll give that a try. What explanation did you get from Verizon? I never had this problem when setting up my Gmail on any of my devices, this is a first.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Ok everyone get ready to laugh because I'm a complete dumb ass!!! I remembered early this morning that a few weeks ago I signed up for that 2-step verification for my Google account. When you do this Google generates a application -specific password that you need to enter on your mobile device when setting up Gmail for the first time. It works perfect now. When you start losing your memory like this, you realize that old age can be a cruel thing!!!

subodh gadre

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I had purchased Nokia Lumia 520 (Windows Phone 8). I add my Gmail account normally. But I got an error & can't sync my mails. I have tried with few changes and now Gmail is working on my Windows Phone. You need not install any unofficial client. But How?
As we use Gmail on Outlook Express or any other email clients on PC/Laptop(Windows OS). Those settings works fine on Windows Phone 8 Also. No drastic change in setting. Here, I mentioned the settings for Gmail(for IMAP & POP both) to use in Windows Phone 8 (Lumia 520).

Procedure :
1. First go to Settings
2. Tap on email+accounts
3. Tap on +add an account
4. Choose advance setup
5. Type your Email Address & Password, Click on Next

These are basic settings. Now Select proper way (IMAP or POP). Because their is little bit difference in IMAP & POP.

Advance Settings:

email address: abc123@gmail.com
Your Name: abc123 (Eg. 1st mail id use Gmail, for 2nd use Gmail2 or your choice)
Incoming mail server(for IMAP): imap.gmail.com:993
Incoming mail server(for POP): pop.gmail.com:995
username: abc123@gmail.com
Password: your password
outgoing mail server: smtp.gmail.com:465
Outgoing server requires authentication - Checked
Use the same username and password for sending email - checked
Require SSL for incoming mail - Checked
Require SSL for Outgoing mail - Checked

Now Gmail account can sync without any errors. If you don't have network connectivity then it gives an error, but don't worry. Just connect to Wi-Fi or mobile internet and it will sync your mails without any error. You can set other settings as per your choice like [Download New Content] & [Download email from].

These settings successfully works on my Lumia 520.
I use email option for sync only. So, cant write about calendar and contacts.

If anyone have suggestions or more information just reply.

WeAreNotAlone

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Gmail won't Sync /Setup. Customer remembers they have 2-step verification for Google account enabled

Ok everyone get ready to laugh because I'm a complete dumb ***!!! I remembered early this morning that a few weeks ago I signed up for that 2-step verification for my Google account. When you do this Google generates a application -specific password that you need to enter on your mobile device when setting up Gmail for the first time. It works perfect now. When you start losing your memory like this, you realize that old age can be a cruel thing!!!

RE: Can't set up Gmail account on WP8 phone. It starts syncing but it gives me a message saying that Google account information is incorrect.
Customer remembers they have 2-step verification for Google account enabled which is causing phone not to sync.

Q: Can you EXPAND on the work around /what you did? I'm assuming you disabled the Gmail verification 2-step entirely, or there's a option to disable it temporarily, then re-enable?
(I'd prefer to leave Gmail verification 2-step ON.)

Secondary, How would you rate the ease, time spent?.... and are you happy with the built in apps supplied?

Symptoms:

During setting up Gmail account, user name, password is entered, it is "saved" and phone shows "syncing", times out giving error message.

Upon hitting the email tile>Google account info is incorrect - User name is displayed, password section is blank awaiting for a password to be entered. If a password is entered phone shows "syncing", times out.

Under settings section:
Settings>email+accounts>email+account= Shows "Google" user name e-mail address entered, under it says: "Attention Required"

OS WP8 GDR2 update, Amber update

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Gmail won't Sync /Setup. Customer remembers they have 2-step verification for Google account ena

RE: Can't set up Gmail account on WP8 phone. It starts syncing but it gives me a message saying that Google account information is incorrect.
Customer remembers they have 2-step verification for Google account enabled which is causing phone not to sync.

Q: Can you EXPAND on the work around /what you did? I'm assuming you disabled the Gmail verification 2-step entirely, or there's a option to disable it temporarily, then re-enable?
(I'd prefer to leave Gmail verification 2-step ON.)

Secondary, How would you rate the ease, time spent?.... and are you happy with the built in apps supplied?

Symptoms:

During setting up Gmail account, user name, password is entered, it is "saved" and phone shows "syncing", times out giving error message.

Upon hitting the email tile>Google account info is incorrect - User name is displayed, password section is blank awaiting for a password to be entered. If a password is entered phone shows "syncing", times out.

Under settings section:
Settings>email+accounts>email+account= Shows "Google" user name e-mail address entered, under it says: "Attention Required"

OS WP8 GDR2 update, Amber update

This is such an old thread that I haven't checked it for long time and I just came across it by accident. This was almost a year ago but I believe I went to Google.com, signed into my account and went to the area where you create an app specific password. That's the password that you need to enter in your phone. Like I said, it was a while ago so I can't really remember.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Naresh Cherukumalli

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
If you have enabled 2-step verification process, go to account settings and generate application specific password.
And in your mobile, while setting up account, use the newly generated password, instead of your regular password.. Hope this will help...

W M Expositions

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,
Is there any limitations in NOKIA Lumia 520 for setting up Gmail email account ? I have already 2 gmail accounts working in my lumia 520. I want to setup one more gmail account but unable to do through all methods.
Kindly help me out of it.
Thanks
Winkle

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3