Help!! How do you store contacts locally?

wp8user

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi
Just got a Lumia 822, really like the phone. My first windows phone, moving from Android and I cannot seem to figure out how to store the contacts locally on the phone without them syncing to my microsoft account. Is this not possible? In android all you had to do was just select do not sync and your contacts stayed right where they should, only on your phone.
Thanks!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You don't store them just locally - you'll have to choose which account to store them in (if there is more than one account in the phone with contacts), and it will sync to the cloud.

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
When I had my WP7, I found this annoying coming from my Blackberry. I now appreciate this. Something happens to the phone, I don't lose any of my contacts. With having them linked to my msn account, I have the information stored whether on my phone or my laptop.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Also, if the phone gets stolen you can wipe it remotely so no one has access to your contacts like they would if stored locally

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I've appreciated the cloud sync for contacts. When I switched from wp7 to wp8, entered in my hotmail address and there's all of my contacts! Bought a Surface, entered in hotmail address, there's all of my contacts! No backing up contacts, exporting/importing lists. It's great.

Jai 1

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
i understand the reason and the ability of cloud, but are you all nuts? why would i link my personal contacts with microsoft & google (irrespective of the avility to sync to another phone, wiping out if stolen etc..)

If i need privacy how do i store only on phone - i think lumia completely removed that option.

Earlier cases we either choose contacts on SIM or on phone.
When iphone/android came in - we started syncing contacts from fb/gmail etc.. (But it also allows us to have local contacts too)

for ex, i am fine to get email addess, photo etc.. from facebook.
But do not want my friend's phone number to be associated with that. And i want to store it locally.

with all, i think our privacy is not being respected, and especially with Lumia that was not even available as an OPTION.

MICROSOFT - pl think, you will loose market one day if we started playing with privacy infos...

Jai 1

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
privacy lost, i dont need to sync with account/or cloud. i want the info to be made private on phone alone

what's the option? I think lumia completely removed the option of storing locally.. the only way you can add a contact is via syncing them on a account.

MICROSOT - pl think, respect privacy.

hbwpcentral

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem
I have always used Nokia with symbian and my contacts are stored on Nokia Suite
With my new Nokia under WP8 the only way to save and restore my contacts is the microsoft servers!
It is great if it was an option but it is an obligation. The only way to store contacts on the phone is to store
them on microsoft servers!
I bought my phone one week before and I am thinking to sell it!!!
How advanced the technology it contains, if it does not resolve a basic problem like this, it is useless!
Basic things first, advanced things after!

Privacy is not an option, it is an obligation for a good telephone!

Cloud is great as an option but not as an obligation

JHB

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo