Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 11B1P

Everything time I press "Phone" icon to dial it always brings up my recent calls, it's annoying. I want to set the default to the number pad. Is there anyway to do this? I've searched all over Google, Bing, Yahoo and couldn't find an answer.

Not that I am aware of. You will have to press the number pad icon at the bottom to bring up the dial. Sorry.
    Frank
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    I bought an app called 7dialer that brings up the dial pad when pressed. It also gives quick access to favorite contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by fkiehner View Post
    Not that I am aware of. You will have to press the number pad icon at the bottom to bring up the dial. Sorry.
    Frank
    Well, that's the problem. When pressing "Phone" the dial pad doesn't come up as default.

Quote Originally Posted by scottcraft View Post
    I bought an app called 7dialer that brings up the dial pad when pressed. It also gives quick access to favorite contacts.
    Wow, you had to buy a app just for that? To think MS would have thought of this issue. It doesn't make much sense for dial history to come up when Phone is pressed. Wonder why the people who wrote this OS thought it was a good idea.

Probably because most people dial to frequent contacts more than by number these days, but an option I suppose is always good.
    "Bro, you know I lift cause I use a Lumia 920..."
    Thanked by:

I noticed this not being an option either. Actually, what I miss more than instant access to the dialer, is the dialer itself not actually being able to bring up current contacts from the phone when you dial the corresponding letters on the num pad. Any 3rd party Apps that do this?

I haven't used it and am not certain of how it works, but I noticed that Rap Dialer is a popular best rated app in the Windows Store. Consider trying it out to see if works better for you. It's free so seems like a good one to try before buying anything.

Global Posts
    1,389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 0pTicaL View Post
    Wow, you had to buy a app just for that? To think MS would have thought of this issue. It doesn't make much sense for dial history to come up when Phone is pressed. Wonder why the people who wrote this OS thought it was a good idea.
    I think they have a trial version.

Keep in mind, most people call the same people/family on a regular basis. So it's more convenient to have the history as the default view. "That" is probably why the people that wrote the os, thought it was a good idea. And like fwaits said, you're also gonna look up a contact and dial from there. Very seldom do I just dial a number from memory. Even the numbers I have memorized, ex. my wife, I've probably called her within a call or two and it's quicker to see the history view.
    willied likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wbdillworth View Post
    I think they have a trial version.

Keep in mind, most people call the same people/family on a regular basis. So it's more convenient to have the history as the default view. "That" is probably why the people that wrote the os, thought it was a good idea. And like fwaits said, you're also gonna look up a contact and dial from there. Very seldom do I just dial a number from memory. Even the numbers I have memorized, ex. my wife, I've probably called her within a call or two and it's quicker to see the history view.
    I agree that the history is a better default. For those who disagree it doesn't seem like it would be too hard for MS to create an option. I don't know how high this one is on their list of issues though.

Global Posts
    718 Global Posts
    Use Rap Dialer and pin it to your start screen. It works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by PuckCowboy View Post
    I noticed this not being an option either. Actually, what I miss more than instant access to the dialer, is the dialer itself not actually being able to bring up current contacts from the phone when you dial the corresponding letters on the num pad. Any 3rd party Apps that do this?
    Why wouldn't you just hit search instead of the dialpad button then type letters to find a contact?
    "Bro, you know I lift cause I use a Lumia 920..."
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 0pTicaL View Post

IDidn't buy the app for the dial pad, I bought it for the quick access to my most called contacts. The dial pad access is just a bonus, albeit a feature I don't use often.