Losing Data Connection on the Lumia 822

Jack Becker

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else having a problem with losing your data connection (cellular and wifi). It seems about once a day (mainly at night, but has happened during the day), my phone loses it's data connection. I can't update anything (email, people, facebook, twitter) and I am connected to both cellular and wifi. My wife is having the same issue with her Lumia 822 as well. We have found that the only way to fix the problem is to turn off the phone and turn it back on.

Last edited:

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I have had it happen to me a couple of times over the past few weeks. Powering down helped me, I didn't have to do a battery pull. Not sure what's causing it.

Jack Becker

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm just glad to see that I am not the only one that this is happening to. I haven't had to pull the battery either, I guess I worded that wrong.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I can add this to the list of problems I have not had in the couple of weeks I've had my 822. I'm guessing that this isn't a common problem since yours is the first report I've seen. We know there are some users who've had problems that were solved either by resetting or replacing the phone. Have you tried a reset?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Mine loses cellular data and call signal. WiFi doesn't go away. I'm going to call Verizon tomorrow and see if I can get a replacement. This has been going on since I bought the phone on launch day. Normally it comes right back but I have had to restart the phone to make the signal come back.

Jmh89

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
this happens to me almost every day.... Extremely irritating, to say the least! I simply restart the phone, and it works for awhile. Yesterday, I had to restart it several times, because it kept losing data service (but yet it said LTE on the screen)

BooMaLiCiOuS

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
This just happened to me yesterday for the first time. I have also noticed that my signal is not nearly as strong as my Droid Thunderbolt. I never got 3G service on that phone, but on the 822 I hit 3G many times a day in Houston and surrounding areas.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Every so often I will try to send a MMS and it fails... i can retry and retry but it will not send. all other data will work. I flip to airplane mode and back and it will send. Very annoying.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Every so often I will try to send a MMS and it fails... i can retry and retry but it will not send. all other data will work. I flip to airplane mode and back and it will send. Very annoying.
I'm on the phone with Verizon right now about this issue, I cant send or receive MMS and I'm on my 2nd phone. It works like maybe 30% of the time and its driving me crazy

BigOlErn

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Happens here too, at least once per day. Haven't tried to toggle airplane mode, but a soft reset brings it right back. Frustrating.

diesel822

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to add that I was losing my data connection 2-3 times per day on my 822. It didn't seem to matter if i was on wifi or not when it dropped off. The first few days I had the phone i didn't experience any problems so that got me looking to see if there was anything I changed on the phone. Maybe it was a coincidence but I realized my problems started the day I changed my network mode from Global to LTE \ CDMA. I've since changed it back to global and haven't dropped data once. Its been about 3 days. I have no idea if that's causing the issues and can't understand why it would but non-the less I've had no problems after switching it back to global. I do know that the times I did lose data and had to soft-reset to get it back were in low LTE signal areas.

Just wanted to share that, as its only been a few days I'm not 100% sure network mode selection is causing the problem, but maybe that's something people experiencing this problem can try.

anon(5327037)

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else having a problem with losing your data connection (cellular and wifi). It seems about once a day (mainly at night, but has happened during the day), my phone loses it's data connection. I can't update anything (email, people, facebook, twitter) and I am connected to both cellular and wifi. My wife is having the same issue with her Lumia 822 as well. We have found that the only way to fix the problem is to turn off the phone and turn it back on.

Yes (820)! Its maddening, even non-mms will fail. I thought it was phone because it was a replacement and I didn't have a problem with the previous one. I have a new one on the way. What a terrible issue

BigOlErn

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Just happened again after a couple of days incident free. Toggling airplane mode on/off brought the connection back.

I should also say that it is only my cellular connection that locks up, not my WiFi connection.

jambaugh

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine for 8 days and have had this problem from the beginning. Verizon says they haven't heard of anyone having this problem...

Jmh89

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Mine has been getting better lately. The first week or two, I had to reboot almost every day. Now it's been about 2 weeks since I had to reboot for that problem. I do, however, reboot every evening, to make sure everything is working if the morning.
All in all, I'm a little disappointed with how my WP8 is working. (syncing, data connection, apps not working correctly) I have used WP7 for over a year, and it worked flawlessly. WP8 is slowly coming around though. I just hate the feeling of being guinne pigs though (Windows 8 sync tool).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro