So sad to return the 822

SOMEnameItried

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Today I came to the realization that I must unfortunately return this phone. It's a shame for 2 main reasons.

1. I loved using it... yea sure it had some 1.0 flaws in the UI, but ooooo-verall, it was a delight to use!
2. I've gone... "back in time" (thinking of an episode of SeaLab 2021) to my 1st gen Moto Droid. The thing is so incredibly slow, but speed is the only thing I fight.

Anyway, not knowing when the SD card issue will be resolved, I found it (not really) easier to just part ways. I hope they get it figured out (and soon). If they do, I'm going back and buying it again.

Either way at this point I look forward to seeing what's in store for windows 8 phones. As a Verzion customer, I'm also on the lookout to see what Samsung delivers.

I know the SD card may not be big to some, but for me it is. It's one of the big reasons why I picked up this phone (and waited for 8).

Also, syncing is a horrible experience with music and video files causing the phone(s) to soft crash and corrupt the SD card. The way to reboot the phone is to (at some point) pull the battery out. Pulling the battery out gets so old when continually dealing with these types of issues.

This isn't a rant. It's a plea. I want 8 to succeed. I just know some bugs / issues get a higher priority than others. I know I'd go crazy holding this phone the whole time to only see these issues get resolved when 2 years pass for the next phone upgrade to occur.

Please MS / Nokia, fix this soon.

Cheers,
Kelly

Last edited:

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I'm on this forum every day, have an 822 and I guess I missed that thread. What SD card issue are you referring to?

SOMEnameItried

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi gapost,

I'm guessing you're one of the lucky ones that has a fully working phone (I am sooooo jealous!) :)

Here's a couple that discuss some of this issues me and a few others experience:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-820/204636-nokia-820-wont-read-micro-sd-card.html

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-822/205033-microsd-removable-drive.html
(I described my issue with SD cards in this thread)

Nokia Support Discussions - Re: Lumia 822 SD Card corrupting - Nokia Support Discussions
(others on the nokia board dealing with this too)

The one I never really got into was computer syncing. I can elaborate if you want. Fortunately, I didn't have the random rebooting problem that have plagued some.

Cheers,
Kelly

Last edited:

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Yeah, lucky I guess. I have a 32gb card and haven't had any problems and have not had any lockups or reboots. My videos are smooth.

The syncing need some work.

However, there are a few people that have these problems, but it does not seem to be widespread. Maybe there was a bad batch of phones, don't know. Sorry it's not working out for you.

SOMEnameItried

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
@gapost, it would be cool if somehow we could narrow down the good and bad phone batches. I wish I would have saved the model / serial number to go with that.

All I know is that the 2 phones I tried (mine and another new phone at the Verizon store) both failed the tests. It was just so weird to have 2 sd cards perform in a completely opposite ways. Basically one's old the other is new, and the old one records video and can't connect while the new one doesn't record all video types and can connect.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
1) The SD card corruption issue is almost certainly either a card problem or a card reader defect as it does not affect very many users (there is obviously no huge outcry). While it is certainly annoying for those few with the problem, it has been a common issue with SDHC and SDXC cards (and their Micro variants) for as long as they have been in use. I am not suggesting it is the case in this instance, but it is also a classic way that people find out their supposedly genuine cards are actually counterfeit. It could be as simple as if (or how) the cards were formatted on another machine as well.
2) I really wish people would just get to their point and ditch the "backhanded compliment/but I hate it because XXXXX" threads. If you have an issue, ask a question. If the solution isn't satisfactory, return the device. Threads with the inevitable I love it but it is "impossibly slow/doesn't work/will not make my breakfast for me" BS are an insult to peoples' intelligence. If you are unhappy just say it.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
This is why i hate sd cards. Everyone gets a just reads 32gb for $10, yet these cards have pathetic performance and cause more problems than they solve.

It took me numerous attempts to find an sd card that could record 1080p from my video camera. So many had amazing looking stats on paper, but were useless in reality.

Even worse things like music access require good random access times, and cards never quote these stats, so its trial and error finding a good one.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
2) I really wish people would just get to their point and ditch the "backhanded compliment/but I hate it because XXXXX" threads. If you have an issue, ask a question. If the solution isn't satisfactory, return the device. Threads with the inevitable I love it but it is "impossibly slow/doesn't work/will not make my breakfast for me" BS are an insult to peoples' intelligence. If you are unhappy just say it.

There is an old thought that says when someone is about to complain, nothing matters before the "but". "I love it, but....."

Problem is, people are getting slammed by a few members of this forum as being "trolls" if they bring their problems on here lately. In the end, the problem is still being described and on this thread there were links to very specific details, so I am not so sure why it would bother you that threads are complaining in a very complimentary way. That was a strange comment just to type. :amaze:

I actually like posters giving the good points to their experience as well as their problems. It kind of draws a good picture of the overall strengths of the OS at the same time the problems are being discussed.

jdefuria

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I am also fighting memory card issues. A 64 GB Class 10 and a 16 gb class 4 both brand new failed to be recognized at all by the phone. I also went into a Verizon store and tried a card sold by Verizon themselves. Same problem. I am in the process of exchanging the phone now (purchased through Wallmart.com). I traded some emails with Nokia, and they suggested returning the device.

I will have the new phone by Tuesday and will post if the new device has better luck with the SD cards.

This is a real issue with at least some significant number of of Lumia 82x phones.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
@somename
I hate to see someone having such a frustrating experience with what I think is a good device. I took the sdhc class 4 (a Dane-Elec brand) outta my BlackBerry Torch and put in this phone. In the process, the only thing that happened to me was that one of my videos disappeared somehow. All my music and pics were there. Hopefully this is just a case of a defective device.

SOMEnameItried

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
@stephen_az:

I wasn't attempting to provide a backhanded complement. It was a sincere how I loved the phone. I wasn't trying to soften the blow. My main problem is around the SD card and related, which was device syncing. For me, if I were to do the back handed complement, I certainly wouldn't have devoted all that time with Nokia's support. Also their support person was great I thought.

I usually see a backhanded complement as where a person doesn't really care for something. For me to put that much effort in with their support, I feel, shows the opposite. Anyway, I'm sorry you read it this way.

Cheers,
Kelly

SOMEnameItried

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
@SnailUK

I agree on the card issue. I feel what makes it challenging too is the vagueness from Nokia's site for the the card. It could be they were rushing to get this product out by the launch date. I understand that completely; meaning that it's unfortunate projects sometimes go through a last aggressive sprint.

site quote between nokia and samsung:

Nokia Lumia 822
Maximum memory card size
64GB
Nokia Lumia 822 Specifications - Nokia - USA

The supposedly released soon Ativ s site said sdxc
microSD (SDXC support)
GT-I8370, ATIV S

At least by having "xc" provides a slightly more narrow gap out of which types of cards they allow for a good experience. ativ s is used here because it's another brand that is pushing sd card.

Of course, we don't really know at this point with this phone because it isn't out nor, I bet, no one has tested this feature thoroughly for press and bloggers.

Anyway, I'm just saying it would be cool if they could re-evaluate their statement, I feel it might help more of us out that are / were struggling. Of course that statement on their site could be valid, and it does come down to a bad batch of phones. Still, I'm aim for them to re-evaluate.

Cheers,
Kelly

jdefuria

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I am also fighting memory card issues. A 64 GB Class 10 and a 16 gb class 4 both brand new failed to be recognized at all by the phone. I also went into a Verizon store and tried a card sold by Verizon themselves. Same problem. I am in the process of exchanging the phone now (purchased through Wallmart.com). I traded some emails with Nokia, and they suggested returning the device.

I will have the new phone by Tuesday and will post if the new device has better luck with the SD cards.

Just following up...the new phone seems to be working properly. So far, no problems with the 64 GB Class 10 SandDisk card...

electrafast

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem - 64 Gig class 10

At 25% utilization the micro sd card wasn't recognized any more.
Put it is an PC, PC gave error message of file system corruption. Win 7 fixed it. Put the SD card back in phone. Worked for a few days, and then the same cycle all over again.
Just down graded to a 32 gig card. I'm a music pass member, and now need to re-dowload all of my songs again. Very frustrating. If the 32 gig card fails, I'm going to return the phone and go to the dark side, ( Apple I-phone ). :unhappy:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes