Looks like the Portico update is being released now for WP8, but

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Do we have any idea when Verizon will release the update? will the carriers delay them like say in the Android world?

Supposed to be OTA and done by MS. Right now it appears to be released to some international markets for the HTC 8X. People in Canada and the US have not announced receiving it yet. Though, judging from when the story rolled, it may be that the update goes live on Tuesday, like most MS updates. It's just about to be Tuesday in the US, so we'll see if 8X owners in the US get the update today. Could have only been rolled out to select markets first, like the UK. I believe in is basically rolled out through the localized WP Store.

But the update is not for the 822.

kg93678

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Supposed to be OTA and done by MS. Right now it appears to be released to some international markets for the HTC 8X. People in Canada and the US have not announced receiving it yet. Though, judging from when the story rolled, it may be that the update goes live on Tuesday, like most MS updates. It's just about to be Tuesday in the US, so we'll see if 8X owners in the US get the update today. Could have only been rolled out to select markets first, like the UK. I believe in is basically rolled out through the localized WP Store.But the update is not for the 822.
Any idea when an 822 update will be released?

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Supposed to be OTA and done by MS. Right now it appears to be released to some international markets for the HTC 8X. People in Canada and the US have not announced receiving it yet. Though, judging from when the story rolled, it may be that the update goes live on Tuesday, like most MS updates. It's just about to be Tuesday in the US, so we'll see if 8X owners in the US get the update today. Could have only been rolled out to select markets first, like the UK. I believe in is basically rolled out through the localized WP Store.

But the update is not for the 822.
Thanks, I have heard that the update was for windows phone 8? is it only for the 8x?

Steephill

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I have heard that the update was for windows phone 8? is it only for the 8x?
Different hardware means slightly different updates. Just because it works with the 8x doesnt mean it will work with the 822 right away. I expect the 822 update to be released shortly.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Different hardware means slightly different updates. Just because it works with the 8x doesnt mean it will work with the 822 right away. I expect the 822 update to be released shortly.

Not necessarily. OEM's develop device specific firmware, which they can deploy together with the updated OS bits delivered by Microsoft. However, if all WP8 OEM's decided their firmware doesn't require updating and don't add anything to the update package delivered by Microsoft, then all updates for all WP8 devices would be identical. That probably isn't the case now, but it likely will be at some point down the road with future updates.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This is true, however Microsoft is still going to test it in smaller batches first, as they did with NoDo and later Mango on WP7. If you remember, NoDo was pretty slow to roll out, Mango was quite a bit faster. They had to perfect the process. This is their first OTA update ever. There will be bugs, and they'll want them to be in as small a test group as possible to start (there were bricked phones in both NoDo and Mango, but those decreased).

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
You aren't going to get an update I would guess for at least a couple weeks. Even with MS and Nokia reporting urgency of the update, Verizon could hold it off. I don't think it will be as freaking terrible as Android updates.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it'll take a couple weeks. That puts us into next year. It could happen, but I still expect it will be this month, and given the release tomorrow for ATT phones, I'm going to guess (yes, just a guess) that it'll be within the next week.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Any updates on this? I can't find anything myself.

Likely coming and it is less of a carrier issue. From what I understand part of the agreement is that MS can create critical updates that carriers must allow fairly rapidly and less critical ones that can be deployed over a longer period. But it is different from Android in that MS actually assists in deployment and does have the ability to push updates whether a carrier likes it or not.

But there are some hardware and software specs to deal with. Remember that the manufacturers, especially Nokia, get to create first party software that gives them greater OS access and can actually change a few little things that can impact any update. The carriers also have a bit of that ability as well.

Windows Phone is supposed to be the happy medium between full carrier control (pretty much) in Android and full Apple control in iOS. MS is building relationships with the carriers and the OEMs. They are also developing updates and deploying them in ways that are designed to keep all parties (including customers) fairly happy. It is an evolving process because it is different from what has gone before.

The VZW update is coming, but should go to the 8X first. Nokia has more things that need to be tinkered with apparently. But MS appears to be rolling out the smaller customer bases first and using them as guinea pigs. T-Mobile 8X's are next. My guess is we'll see the 822 and all the WP8 devices updated within the next 2-3 weeks. That's a pretty quick rollout for the first update, if you think about it.

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
If anyone have a WHITE Nokia Lumia 822, post the screenshot of the about screen showing the OS version. Looking at Nokia's server, the white Nokia Lumia 822 may have shipped with Portico installed.

Be sure to also checked to see if you have "Keep WiFi on when screen times out" option. It's under "advanced" in WiFi settings.

WinDude

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
If anyone have a WHITE Nokia Lumia 822, post the screenshot of the about screen showing the OS version. Looking at Nokia's server, the white Nokia Lumia 822 may have shipped with Portico installed.

Be sure to also checked to see if you have "Keep WiFi on when screen times out" option. It's under "advanced" in WiFi settings.

Just got the 822 white 2 days ago. No update.

winpOS.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism