Nokia Drive Beta+ alternative

pardner

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I am very un-impressed with Drive Beta. My problem with the app is that is does not give directions (S/N/E/W, road names, etc), exit numbers, and there is such a delay I get the "TURN LEFT NOW" way too late so I spend most my trip doing U-Turns.

I installed the gMaps app but it doesn't have a voice navigator. Is there an alternative Nokia Drive?

tboggs13

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Two highly recommended apps are Navigon and Garmin StreetPilot.

I agree that Nokia Drive Beta is not the greatest, but it is probably the most full featured of the free options.

If you choose a voice with street names, it will announce the exits and street names at least once before you have to make a turn.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
You have to download the street name voice separate from the main voice to get the street names. It's weird, I know.

pardner

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Two highly recommended apps are Navigon and Garmin StreetPilot.
Thank you I will look into those. They don't need a subscription do they?

If you choose a voice with street names, it will announce the exits and street names at least once before you have to make a turn.
You have to download the street name voice separate from the main voice to get the street names. It's weird, I know.
I'm sorry, how do I go about doing that... honestly its my wife's phone and I don't have it in front of me right now.Do I go to app store? I looked in Drive settings and didn't see anything

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you I will look into those. They don't need a subscription do they?

I'm sorry, how do I go about doing that... honestly its my wife's phone and I don't have it in front of me right now.Do I go to app store? I looked in Drive settings and didn't see anything

Launch Drive. Settings. Navigation voice. Download new.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
If you are a Verizon subscriber you can get vz navigator free as an app download

It's a subscription based app. You have to pay a monthly fee to use it.

Drive does have the Street Names voice. As was said above, you just have to download it. I have had no problems with directions, giving me a lot of lead time before a turn (in 50 yards, turn left on ? Rd.)

tboggs13

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I have had problems with Drive giving incorrect spoken directions, not matching the map on screen. To be fair, there have been two updates since then.

Does anyone get more than one mention of the street name per turn? I find it only announces the street name during the next to last instruction before the actual turn. All other announcements leave out the street name.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I quite like Nokia Drive myself, and it's only getting better with updates. I haven't used it quite enough to give my final verdict on it, but I definitely like it so far.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Personally I like WP 8 a lot but I think Drive is terrible even for something labeled beta. I have found it gives reasonable directions from a highway but gives poor to outright wrong directions in Scottsdale AZ. In a test it directed me onto a road that has been blocked by a major canal since the 1990s - there was no way to get to the destination via the route suggested. In a second test, it then directed me to an affluent residential neighborhood instead of to the business address I selected. If it was simply this sort of thing, it would just be iPhone 5 level map comedy but I have also found that it will not give directions through the hands free Bluetooth system in my 2011 Toyota. I even did a hard reset of the phone to make sure it was not just a configuration quirk but it still will only give audible directions if the phone is disconnected from the Bluetooth system in the car. To be clear everything else will work through the Bluetooth system. Only Drive refuses to give audible verbal responses. A directions app that requires me to either look at the screen or turn off hands free calling is worse that useless.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3