IS anyone using the Verizon 822 on tmobile or AT&T in U.S.?

kj_wp

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I am interested in purchasing the 822 (or HTC 8X) for use on t-mobile or AT&T in U.S.

Any suggestions? I know you can buy and the GSM radio is unlocked but wanted to know if there are any issues. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Verizon radios wont work on tmobile or at&t. You would actually have to replace hardware to get the 822 working on tmobile or at&t.

Verizon uses CDMA, not GSM

Mandapher

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I just received a Lumia 822 and trying to use it on the T Mobile network, everything is working except I can't send out text messages. They come in fine, calls go out and come in fine. Not sure where the problem is.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
It should work since its a global phone.

Nokia Lumia 822 Specifications - Nokia - USA

If you look under the hardware tab, you can see the GSM support, CDMA2000 support, WCDMA support (HSPA+ essentially), and LTE 700 support. If you buy an international plan from VZW and use it over in Europe or wherever, the phone will work.

Texting likely has to do with the carrier in some way, but if you put a TMobile or ATT SIM card in the phone, it should work on their network.

The Last Byte

May 19, 2012
Visit site
It should work since its a global phone.

Nokia Lumia 822 Specifications - Nokia - USA

If you look under the hardware tab, you can see the GSM support, CDMA2000 support, WCDMA support (HSPA+ essentially), and LTE 700 support. If you buy an international plan from VZW and use it over in Europe or wherever, the phone will work.

Texting likely has to do with the carrier in some way, but if you put a TMobile or ATT SIM card in the phone, it should work on their network.

So can I pop in a Telus Sim and will this work?

kj_wp

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Appreciate all the comments and feedback. I'll keep reading the posts but I'm leaning towards unbranded after all I've read. I favor 3G (hspa+) because of availability and cost. Still haven't found killer 4G app.

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
hmm.. im about to test this out now. I just got an 822 through work as well and am looking to get rid of it... it being able to work across carriers would help a lot. I'll try Tmo and ATT soon.

xirsteon

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
hmm.. im about to test this out now. I just got an 822 through work as well and am looking to get rid of it... it being able to work across carriers would help a lot. I'll try Tmo and ATT soon.

Can u post your results here with Tmob usa testing pls? I've been interested in buying one for a while now but I wasn't too sure if everything will work on it. Thx

KentWNg

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I bought a new Verizon Nokia Lumia 822 from eBay. The seller did not unlock it. I am currently using an Samsung Focus on AT&T. I put my AT&T SIM card into the Lumia 822 and it picked up the AT&T network. I was able to make a phone call and send a text message with no problems. It looks like the 822 is SIM unlocked. Did not try a data connection as I do not have a data plan with AT&T.

ZeroseveN07

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I have this exact same issue of not being able to send SMS messages on T-Mobile with the Lumia 822. It says it can't send the SMS message and gives an SMS error: 1

Any one on T-Mobile get this working? Calls and receiving SMS messages work but not being able to send SMS messages is a deal-breaker!

bmsox622

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I threw my iPhone 4s' SIM card in my Lumia 822 and it immediately popped up with AT&T. I was able to make a call and receive calls and even send and receive texts! The bad part is...and here is my question within...but when I turned off WIFI, my data didn't work. Would I have to call AT&T? When I logged in to my AT&T account online it did note that I have a "DataPlus for iPhone 4s" plan. Would that prevent me from using data on another device with this SIM card?

HillBillJr

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Verizon sells its phones with GSM part unlocked. This was part of the agreement with FCC duing the 700 MHz A Band spectrum auctions, I believe. For those who canot send SMS on T Mobile, you may have to set up your SMS Center manually under Messaging>Settings>SMS Center Number (+12063130004 ?? flying blind here..never held an 822 in hand, no first hand knowledge of T mobile SMSC number, this is based on my AT&T NL 920)

bmsox622

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I threw that same iPhone 4s SIM card in my new BlackBerry and it works without issue... data, phone, and text. So not sure why the 822 won't work with the data plan I have like the BlackBerry does.

ZeroseveN07

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
The SMS center number is automatically entered in on the 822 for T-Mobile and I've verified that it's correct but that doesn't correct the issue of not being able to send out SMS messages (+12063130004 is the automatic SMS Center Number according to T-Mobile and it's the same that's automatically entered with the SIM).

John Holland

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Im also going to try a tmobile sim in my verizon 822 and im not worried about texting since i can download a app to text using data....my question is will it work with internet and calling...i bought a straight talk sim and a $45 plan and the APN settings for internet would not work neither texting but calling did....so i wasted my money....straight talk did not have a solution.. so if i go with tmobile please can someone tell me that the APN data settings will work with it so i can use the internet....PLEASE SAY YES im scared to lose anymore money on this

xirsteon

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Im also going to try a tmobile sim in my verizon 822 and im not worried about texting since i can download a app to text using data....my question is will it work with internet and calling...i bought a straight talk sim and a $45 plan and the APN settings for internet would not work neither texting but calling did....so i wasted my money....straight talk did not have a solution.. so if i go with tmobile please can someone tell me that the APN data settings will work with it so i can use the internet....PLEASE SAY YES im scared to lose anymore money on this

Try installing the Nokia access point app to see if it helps with pan settings. I know this app also helps with enabling Internet sharing. Ymmv

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3