Are we gonna get the new update

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It looks like most of the fixes in this update are for the 920 and all of it bricking and restarting woes since release. As a matter of fact, these updates were so desperately needed that the Portico update is now delivered on the 920. Yes, it will take VZW awhile to deliver them to us. But we may not be missing a thing. You can read more about this on the links below from WMPoweruser and WPCentral.

New Nokia Lumia 920s now shipped with the Portico update | WMPoweruser

Nokia Lumia 920 purchases have Portico update pre-installed | Windows Phone Central

As a matter of fact, you don't know that the 920 desperately needed the update. That is an assumption based upon a flawed and very small number of complaints, if you consider that forums are where people come first to complain. Portico is not just some sort of glorified 920 update, and has been released for the 8X, 820, and 810. As the 822 is supposedly based upon the 820, and the 820 now ships with Portico, I would suggest it matters to 822 users as well. Please stick to the facts. It is an OS update, not just a glorified firmware patch, and VZW is the US carrier that has not released it. As with anything else VZW, they will release on their schedule when they want to support it, and no sooner.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if Verizon will combine a rebooting fix with the Portico update? I just remember when their first 4G phone, the Thuder...er Blunderbolt came out.. that thing rebooted like crazy. With the hodge podge of equipment from multiple vendors around the country that is the Verizon network it doesn't shock me that a new OS is having some reboot issues.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
As a matter of fact, you don't know that the 920 desperately needed the update. That is an assumption based upon a flawed and very small number of complaints, if you consider that forums are where people come first to complain. Portico is not just some sort of glorified 920 update, and has been released for the 8X, 820, and 810. As the 822 is supposedly based upon the 820, and the 820 now ships with Portico, I would suggest it matters to 822 users as well. Please stick to the facts. It is an OS update, not just a glorified firmware patch, and VZW is the US carrier that has not released it. As with anything else VZW, they will release on their schedule when they want to support it, and no sooner.
Yup. Key words bolded. It is an OS update, not a firmware update, and therefore ALL Windows Phone 8 devices will get it. No less. It is not an update for any particular model, as that would be a firmware update. It is a bug-fix (and a few extras) for the OS.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
It looks like most of the fixes in this update are for the 920 and all of it bricking and restarting woes since release. As a matter of fact, these updates were so desperately needed that the Portico update is now delivered on the 920. Yes, it will take VZW awhile to deliver them to us. But we may not be missing a thing.

Based on another thread it looks like Portico fixes the SD card stuttering/freezing problem that the 822 has, that is pretty important.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Based on another thread it looks like Portico fixes the SD card stuttering/freezing problem that the 822 has, that is pretty important.

ah, I wonder if that's what's causing video recording to crash the camera app. I wasn't aware of this problem, but when saving a recorded video to the SD card the app sometimes crashes.

MadDogFL62

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
So I just got my 822 and I was wondering if we are gonna get the new windows update coming out?

Here's what you get with Portico. Doesn't seem to be anything too noticeable...

Update 8.0.10211.204

Messaging improvements. A great messaging experience is now even better. You can now
add multiple recipients at the same time when you send a text message and
automatically save unsent text messages as drafts. You can even edit received
text messages before you forward them.

Text replies to incoming calls. Can't take a
call? Now you can send a prewritten text reply to a caller directly from the call answer screen. It's a nice way to let people
know that you're not ignoring them.

Internet Explorer improvements. You can now
change your settings to prevent
pictures from downloading automatically?an easy way to help keep data usage low.
You can also delete selected sites from your browsing history and leave the rest
intact.

Wi-Fi connectivity. Got a favorite Wi-Fi
network? Windows Phone 8 will now prioritize Wi-Fi connections based on your connection history.

Other
improvements. Includes many other improvements to Windows Phone.

This update will be made available at different times,
depending on your country or region, mobile operator, and phone model.

Guesdo

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nokia Lumia 822 working outside of the US without any issue. Will I have any problem updating to Portico? I'm not in Verizon of course.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Here's what you get with Portico. Doesn't seem to be anything too noticeable...

As noted on first page, based on another thread Portico fixes the large capacity SD card stuttering/freezing problem that the 822 has, which is a very noticable and important improvement for those that use SD cards.

SOMEnameItried

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
So I was searching around yesterday and ran across some articles about Apollo+. Here's where I get confused, some claim it is the same (as Portico). Anywho, I feel they're different.

Why I bring this up is, in those articles they claim that they're hoping to push Apollo+ first QTR of 2013. If that's the case, maybe carriers are waiting for that release instead of Portico? Still, I'd be bummed because I'm waiting to see if Portico fixes concerns I had, but as a carrier (and this late in the game), I'm sure they'd hate to deal with back-to-back phone updates.

Cheers,
Kelly

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
So I was searching around yesterday and ran across some articles about Apollo+. Here's where I get confused, some claim it is the same (as Portico). Anywho, I feel they're different.

Why I bring this up is, in those articles they claim that they're hoping to push Apollo+ first QTR of 2013. If that's the case, maybe carriers are waiting for that release instead of Portico? Still, I'd be bummed because I'm waiting to see if Portico fixes concerns I had, but as a carrier (and this late in the game), I'm sure they'd hate to deal with back-to-back phone updates.

Cheers,
Kelly

The first clue that Apollo+ and Portico are two different things is that they are two different code names. That's because they're two different updates. Next behind that is that no one has gotten Apollo+ yet (BTW, Apollo is WP8), yet Portico is out there. Third, if they're hoping for a 1Q2013 release, it blows it away because Portico was initially released in December.

Portico was basically an on-the-fly update to fix issues that were causing problems in the phone. Apollo+ was planned in advance, and is not a fix, but an update with additional features. Some speculate VPN support, notification center, and other such features that are not currently present in WP8. Portico fixes problems with the phone. Lock-ups, restarts, and more. It adds a couple features, like rejecting a phone call with a text, for example, but for the most part it is a fix, not an upgrade.

SOMEnameItried

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate you clarifying that @hopmedic. I was also looking around to see what others were asking about like on windows forums, and Verizon.

There was one person suggesting making a statement to the FCC about being upset (I think it was on one of the Microsoft forums). Anyway, the person got a response back (about group sms) and they (verizon rep) basically claimed that there would be an update around mid this year (2013). I don't know if the software update is Portico or something else later...

Microsoft one :
Windows Phone 8 Portico update for Verizon? - Microsoft Community

In another case, a verizon rep claimed that Portico wasn't ready because of their network specs. I think this was a fairly recent response.

(and of course) that one is on here:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...sponse-verizon-support-regarding-portico.html

I hope there isn't this long of a wait...

Cheers,
Kelly

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is very slow to update any device before they know for sure the update is an improvement for the device. In the past some updates caused new problems that are worse then what they are trying to fix in the first place.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate you clarifying that @hopmedic. I was also looking around to see what others were asking about like on windows forums, and Verizon.

There was one person suggesting making a statement to the FCC about being upset (I think it was on one of the Microsoft forums). Anyway, the person got a response back (about group sms) and they (verizon rep) basically claimed that there would be an update around mid this year (2013). I don't know if the software update is Portico or something else later...

Microsoft one :
Windows Phone 8 Portico update for Verizon? - Microsoft Community

In another case, a verizon rep claimed that Portico wasn't ready because of their network specs. I think this was a fairly recent response.

(and of course) that one is on here:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...sponse-verizon-support-regarding-portico.html

I hope there isn't this long of a wait...

Cheers,
Kelly
that's great news re: group mms, hopefully it's credible and coming soon

EvilBagheadMan

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I spoke with a rep yesterday because of a problem I was having with my phone. She informed that the she had heard whispers that it would be released in a month or two and should fix the group mms... Again, this is a tech support rep, so take it as what you will.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss