Not receiving texts and email apps unexpextedly quitting

annagel

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I just got this phone Sunday evening. I absolutely loved it for the first 24 hours. Starting Sunday evening, all of a sudden I wasn't getting my texts messages when they came in. They wouldn't show up for about an hour, but when it would finally show up, it would still show the original time my friends were sending the text. If I turned my phone off and then back on, all of a sudden it would bring in all the texts I hadn't received.

It is also doing this with my emails. I have 2 separate email accounts connected to this phone. The first day, anytime I had a new email on either one, I was seeing a notification on that tile. Now it's not telling me at all, unless I restart my phone. Then when I go into my email, if I am trying to read an email or delete them, it will just close out of the whole thing.

Is this just a glitchy phone? Do I need to exchange it at Verizon? I really liked this phone but this is really annoying. When it started happening last night I thought it was maybe a temporary problem, but it's still happening. What do I do?

annagel

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Another thing it was doing, when I would go to reply to a text, I would type it out but when I would hit send, the phone just wouldn't respond. It wouldn't do anything at all and not send it.

Hupsakee

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I think this has to do with double contacts, the phone gets confused and does not know who to use.

Delete Skype and report back.

annagel

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I tried that and it did not work. I am still having the same problems.

Another thing that is happening that I forgot to mention before is that when people call, even if they are saved in my phone, it will just show up as their phone number. But right now, phone calls aren't even coming through. If I restart my phone, when my phone comes back on, it may then show I have a missed call. When it shows I have a missed call, it will have the person's name. If I call that person back, it will show in my history that I called back the phone number, not the person's name. If I restart my phone, in my call history, it will then change back to the person's name instead of the phone number.

annagel

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Well Skype isn't there now since I uninstalled it, but all of my facebook friends and twitter followers are there. Sunday night I had started going through and linking my contacts to their Facebooks and twitters, but didn't make it through all of my contacts. But initially there wasn't a problem when doing this.

Hupsakee

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I think that is where the problem is, the phone is not consistent in using contacts and switching between address book, twitter and face book. This creates a problem for the phone's internal log.

Try to have one contact per person and see if that fixes things,

annagel

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to Verizon in the morning and I think I'm just going to do a factory reset. But maybe when I start over tomorrow I will just not connect those. It automatically brought in my fb friends though. If their fb name is the same as it is in my phone, it automatically lynced them. Do you know how to prevent that?

annagel

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Or, what do you mean try having only one contact? Bcuz when I lync someones name in my phone to their fb, it then makes it one contact, instead of having their fb in my phone separately from their name in my phone.

Kevin Rump

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
The same thing happened to me with verizon. I Called tech support and they reset my phone. It worked great for another 3 days then the same thing happened. I took the phone to verizon and they switched out my phone and gave me a new SIM card. I haven't had any problems with the phone since. So i would recommend taking it back to verizon.

annagel

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hmm interesting. Yea, yesterday morning I was planning on waking up to go to verizon, but when I woke up, my phone was back to working like normal.... it worked normal all day up until now (12:40ish am the following morning). Did you have problems with having skype? I had deleted it, but I do want it back on my phone.

Xplode22

May 10, 2011
Visit site
On the thing about a contact's name not showing up when you receive a call, my wife had the same thing when she only had part of the phone number for a contact. For example, if the she had the contact's # as 222-1234, but the number came in as 1(432) 222-1234 then it would just show the number. As soon as she edited the phone # to be 432-222-1234 (or (432) 222-1234) then she would start seeing the contact's name.

annagel

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
All of my contacts have the full number in it, so that is not the issue (i wish it was, that is a much more simple solution!). After my phone was back to working for almost 2 days, I downloaded skype again to see if that was truly the issue. Sure enough, sometime the next day, (which was just a few hours ago) it has started acting up again. I deleted skype again and will see if it again fixes itself. It's not crucial that I have Skype on my phone, I just think it's kind of fun. It sucks because other than this issue, I absolutely loveeeeeee this phone.

msft_tinkering

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I had an issue where I couldn't open any of my email apps. Uninstalled Skype & LinkedIn Apps then let my contacts resync. Not sure which one was causing my problem, but I never really used either one, so no loss for me.

annagel

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I never had LinkedIn on my phone. I tried downloading skype twice, and after having it on my phone, about 12 hours later my phone will slowly stop receiving calls and texts. After I delete it off my phone, about 12 hours later my phone will start working normal again. BUT this last time, about a day later, I would occasionally still have problems. I went into Verizon to ask about it, and they said Microsoft knows about these problems, and are looking to update Skype. They are also still having these problems and suggest restarting your phone occassionally because there is a problem with going between wifi and data..... they are hoping to fix this with the next update. That's great, but I realized today sometimes I am still not getting texts. I am not always aware that my phone is not working and that I should restart my phone. So then I find out later that friends were texting me and I never received it. I'm a little torn because part of me wants to exchange this for a completely different phone because I don't have time to wait around for an update to make sure I can receive text messages and phone calls. But, besides this problem, this phone is amazing. I just wish it would work because I love everything else about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3