822 verses the rest of the VZW WP8 inventory...

MadDogFL62

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
While I was a bit apprehensive at first, I must admit that I am very glad that I decided to jump into WP8 with the 822. The lackluster owner feedback on the 8X (discoloration, etc.), the lack of a replaceable battery on the 8X, and the inability to upgrade memory on the 8X were key factors for my decision. The Nokia software, Carl Z camera, dual LED flash, Gorilla Glass touch screen, size, weight and NFC/Wireless Charging sealed the deal for me with the 822.

Another thing that made me apprehensive was the looming rollout of the Verizon Samsung ATIV. Sammy did such a nice job with the Galaxy S III that I was concerned about missing the boat. Plus, I knew that Sammy was ALSO smart enough to know that you have to have expandable memory and battery access in any phone that you are under contract with for 24 months. HOWEVER, after reading today's specs and confirmation on the VZW ATIV Odyssey - I do have to say that I took a big sigh of relief. With the exception of the 5MP camera, I would say that the ATIV Odyssey stands to be the #2 WP8 device at Verizon.

Not only is my 822 heads and shoulders above my old VZW Trophy, but the new WP8 OS makes the phone a joy to own and use. Sometimes I wonder how I did without some of the simple features that now come with WP8 (lock screen notifications, text sizing, theme colors, tile sizing, battery notifications, clear photos/no more Mr. Blurrycam). :smile:

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I gotta say, the 822 is beautiful, but a little chunky for me. My 8x is awesome. Granted I'm a lucky one with no software glitches or reboots and I got the black one, so I have no discoloring of the body. I love the wireless charging (I use the Nokia charging stand...wasn't a big fan of the plate or pillow) and since I still use my Zune HD for tunes, the storage is plenty for me. I can say I'm not a fan of no battery access, but hey...other than that it was perfect for me. I went from the Arrive on Sprint which I loved to an iPhone 4s on Verizon, and am so glad to be back in the WP fold. I agree with you on how WP8 is a dream. Glad your choice is as perfect for you as mine was for me. I'm already anticipating some awesome updates and and to see what's next as far as hardware is concerned.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I find the 822 to be a nice phone but its struggles with the Bluetooth system in the world's best selling car has made it a big step back from my beat up old Trophy. While I can hear people very well, it also has proven to be inconsistent with respect to the extent to which people can hear me. Sometimes it is great and sometimes it is a joke. I have found as well that when the wind has been blowing in the past few days, reception and LTE connectivity fluctuate dramatically. Hopefully things will be fixed in a patch but I cant really recommend it to people at the moment. Battery life, audio, screen, and OS are all great but audio pickup issues, LTE and WIFI connectivity quirks, and abysmal Bluetooth make it a middling choice at best.

Leaving aside the bad joke that Nokia Drive cannot communicate through the Bluetooth system in my 2011 Toyota, Drive is downright embarrassing in Scottsdale. If it will even give directions to the correct place, which is hit or miss, it always gives the slowest and most stupid route possible. Directing me to exist a highway miles short of the destination and then take surface roads when there are three closer exits on the highway is at best laughable. I am glad the phone has worked out for you but obviously individual experience will vary. I like the OS and still consider it to be a potentially good phone but it is the phone much more than the OS that I view to be a work in progress. BTW, the company name is Samsung and I would hardly consider any of their android offerings to be crowing achievements in quality. I was certainly not waiting around to see what sort of plastic phone they were bringing to the table, if it ever really even arrives. It is still a rumor that is now on its third cycle.

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I love my 822, it is my first smartphone but I do not have any problems/complaints.

I also agree that the new Samsung for Verizon doesn't make me regret my purchase either

MadDogFL62

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I find the 822 to be a nice phone but its struggles with the Bluetooth system in the world's best selling car has made it a big step back from my beat up old Trophy. While I can hear people very well, it also has proven to be inconsistent with respect to the extent to which people can hear me. Sometimes it is great and sometimes it is a joke. I have found as well that when the wind has been blowing in the past few days, reception and LTE connectivity fluctuate dramatically. Hopefully things will be fixed in a patch but I cant really recommend it to people at the moment. Battery life, audio, screen, and OS are all great but audio pickup issues, LTE and WIFI connectivity quirks, and abysmal Bluetooth make it a middling choice at best.

Leaving aside the bad joke that Nokia Drive cannot communicate through the Bluetooth system in my 2011 Toyota, Drive is downright embarrassing in Scottsdale. If it will even give directions to the correct place, which is hit or miss, it always gives the slowest and most stupid route possible. Directing me to exist a highway miles short of the destination and then take surface roads when there are three closer exits on the highway is at best laughable. I am glad the phone has worked out for you but obviously individual experience will vary. I like the OS and still consider it to be a potentially good phone but it is the phone much more than the OS that I view to be a work in progress. BTW, the company name is Samsung and I would hardly consider any of their android offerings to be crowing achievements in quality. I was certainly not waiting around to see what sort of plastic phone they were bringing to the table, if it ever really even arrives. It is still a rumor that is now on its third cycle.

Sounds like you had a Trophy in the past. So, it goes without saying that VZW support will not be much help with your connectivity problems. I'm sure you've experienced the "We didn't know we sold Windows Phones?" with VZW Support.

However, have you made any kind of attempt to contact Nokia directly about your issue? There are several ways to contact Nokia Support on the Nokia USA Website. I sent a note to them about 822 wireless charging and they went above and beyond to respond to my questions. There have been other reports from AT&T / 920 owners of Nokia replacing phones, sending free charging pads, and other efforts to promote customer satisfaction.

Just a thought and an option. You sound pretty frustrated.

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I had a Trophy and it was great for voice activated dialing, read my text messages out when paired to my Subaru and allowed me to even reply over BT. The voice dialing was far better than SIRI on an iPhone and that failed time and agin.

Considering picking up an Nokia 822 to ride along until a higher end Nokia comes along just a bit apprehensive.

hitchhiker90

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
You list the reasons I went with the 822 over the 8X. I stood in the Verizon store for 45 minutes or so comparing the 822 and the 8X. It took that long because they were busy and I had to wait around for a rep to get to me. It gave me plenty of time to compare the two and I did like the feel of the 8X because it was thinner and the better screen but I had to go with the 822 because of the expanded memory option and comparing screen size there wasn't much difference. Haven't regretted the purchase and after hearing the ATIV specs I still don't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers