Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hopmedic
  1. the_stig#WN's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,076 Global Posts
       #1  
    Just got my Trident Aegis case in blue today. I have always had an Otterbox Commuter case on all my prior smartphones. But as of right now, just the Defender is available for the 822, and it is too bulky... So, I decided to give the Aegis a try.Note that the Aegis is not two pieces, but just one. It is grippy in all the right places, but still slick enough to slide in and out of your pocket with ease.Two things I don't like about this case... The flaps for the headphone jack and the micro USB. I am just not a flap person. I cut them off my commuter cases, and I will be cutting them off this as well (as soon as I find my exacto...).I think the Otterbox cases in general are better quality, but the Aegis is almost as good. Of course, I will have to see how it stands up over time. Hope this helps someone debating on whether or not to buy it.pics.... [IMG]://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae25/mountainmanmike/FC64B336-ABB3-4EE9-8D9A-5222693A05FC-1880-00000206A39F899E.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by mountainman; 01-07-2013 at 11:06 PM.
  2. #2  
    Do the buttons work better in that case than in the OtterBox? I was pretty disappointed with the buttons in the OtterBox.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  3. the_stig#WN's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,076 Global Posts
       #3  
    The buttons all work perfect. Since my OP, I have cut off the flaps. The case is perfect for me now. After running around with it for a few days now, I am really liking this case. Bonus is that a gold plated male headphone jack WILL fit with the case on. I don't think the same can be said for the Defender.
  4. Skeeder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    18 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
    The buttons all work perfect. Since my OP, I have cut off the flaps. The case is perfect for me now. After running around with it for a few days now, I am really liking this case. Bonus is that a gold plated male headphone jack WILL fit with the case on. I don't think the same can be said for the Defender.
    I managed to get one in with the defender. That being said, I am looking at alternatives to replace some of the bulk.
  5. the_stig#WN's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,076 Global Posts
       #5  
    One other notable difference - when I had the 822 naked, it was uncomfortable to hold to my ear for long periods. The Aegis eliminates this. Very comfortable now.
  6. hitchhiker90's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    39 Posts
    #6  
    Just got an otterbox for my phone, it is bulky. I would have went with the Aegis case but I wanted a holster and its either otterbox or the other one on Verizon. If Trident makes one I'll definitely pick it up.
  7. MadDogFL62's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    64 Posts
    #7  
    I love my Trident case. If using a charging plate or stand, really no need to remove any of the tabs. No need to fiddle with them to get your device charged. And since I rarely use headphones, I also left my top tab over the earphone jack port.

    My first comment would be in regards to the paranoid carriers and manufactures of our devices. In your charging port are 2 metallic tabs. Those tabs change color if they come into ANY contact with water. For example... You are making a quick run to the store and put your phone into a cupholder in your car. The same cupholder that you put a cold drink in the day before. If there is any water that collected in the bottom of that cupholder - you just dunked the bottom of your phone into the water. Most of the time it goes unnoticed. However, the H2O contact will cause the charging port tabs to change color and could possibly jeopardize your chances of a warranty replacement. The Trident case prevents this.

    My second comment relates to headphone sound quality. Headphone manufacturers go out of their way to advertise and sometimes deliver on "gold plated jacks" for their devices. Better contact makes for better sound quality. By keeping the Trident case on your device, that earphone jack port stays covered, reducing the change of debris building up inside the port and possibly lowering sound quality. Yea, sounds like drama - but look at the gunk around the edge of your phone screen when you remove a case or switch out a case. Same gunk goes into the headphone port. Just sayin'.
    MadDogFL62
  8. #8  
    I ordered an Aegis case as well as another no-name car from eBay. I'll post reviews of them both after getting some use out of them. The Aegis is coming with some other accessories including a belt case that it will fit in. I actually already have the same belt case that I bought a week ago. Its a cheap one with a metal clip and Velcro. But it fits the phone even with the OtterBox on it.

    I hate Velcro for a phone case, so I did a bit of surgery, removed the Velcro and put on magnets. Also, I don't care for metal clips like this as they scratch belts. I have a clip from an old Nite Ize case that I love, and had already recycled it once from the Nite Ize case to another, and I may end up recycling it again.

    Anyway, I am looking forward to trying out the Aegis.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  9. #9  
    My Aegis came today. I'll hold off on a full review until I've used it for a while, but my initial impressions are as follows:
    I REALLY like the design of this case. The buttons work far easier, with far less pressure than with the OtterBox. It looks like it'll provide the protection that's needed/desired, and yet isn't as bulky as the OtterBox. The cover sticks out enough on the front side far enough that you can lay it face down and there's probably 1 - 1 1/2 mm of space between the screen and ground, so the screen is protected from face-down drops (unless something is sticking up). I like the attractive design (I have the blue). I can take or leave the covers for the USB and headphone jacks, but I wish the one for the USB would close/fit better. Maybe a bit of wearing it in will help. But it's not a big deal.

    One thing I don't care so much for is that the rounded-triangle design on the back sticks out so that the phone doesn't lie flat. This is a pro and a con, but could have been better. The pro is that the rubbery blue part sticks out, for grip on the surface, vs the black plastic (not grippy) part. The down side is that if you lie the phone on a table to play a game or something, it's wobbly. They could have designed it such that there were three or four spots on the back with the grippy blue sticking out, but having it right in the center isn't the best thing, IMO. That's a minor drawback, though, but something to think about if you use your phone lying flat.

    Those are the first impressions. I'll post pictures of the phone with case, and some with the OtterBox, when I get a chance.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
    stmav likes this.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    Those are the first impressions. I'll post pictures of the phone with case, and some with the OtterBox, when I get a chance.
    that would be ace to get a bulk comparison vs otterbox. thanks
  11. #11  
    Here are a few pics:
    wp_20130117_001-2-.jpgwp_20130117_002-1-.jpgwp_20130117_003-1-.jpg

    Here's a link to my SkyDrive where you can see more pics of both the OtterBox and the Incipio Feather case as well.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  12. Skeeder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    18 Posts
    #12  
    That looks much smaller. Thanks for the pics.
  13. Erickson187's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    103 Posts
    #13  
    I also got this one in blue and after about a week I am loving it. I was able to get it online for $30 from a company called newyorkcellphone who also included a car charger, a stylus pen, radiation shield, and a belt clip case which fits the phone with the case on it. Most of the extras are cheap but all for $30 was a steal for the price plus I needed a new car charger as my other one had for many years and the plug was damaged as would only charge if the wires were in a certain place.

    Have any of you tried this case with the wireless charging stand and back plate? If so does it work? Also does anyone know if the wireless chargers that T-Mobile or ATT have will work? I imagine they would and with the rebate T-Mobile is having might be cheaper to get one from them instead of Verizon.
  14. #14  
    FYI, in the pictures that I took comparing the OtterBox to the Aegis, I did take into consideration the issue of perspective, so I made sure that the "tops" in the pictures were lined up, so that you could see the differences in the height by looking at the "bottom" end (top and bottom in the pictures).



    Quote Originally Posted by Erickson187 View Post
    I also got this one in blue and after about a week I am loving it. I was able to get it online for $30 from a company called newyorkcellphone who also included a car charger, a stylus pen, radiation shield, and a belt clip case which fits the phone with the case on it. Most of the extras are cheap but all for $30 was a steal for the price plus I needed a new car charger as my other one had for many years and the plug was damaged as would only charge if the wires were in a certain place.

    Have any of you tried this case with the wireless charging stand and back plate? If so does it work? Also does anyone know if the wireless chargers that T-Mobile or ATT have will work? I imagine they would and with the rebate T-Mobile is having might be cheaper to get one from them instead of Verizon.
    That's where I got mine, too - same stuff - on ebay. Same deal. Funny, though - NewYorkCellPhone is in South Carolina. LOL

    As for the wireless charging, there have been others that have documented positive results with the OtterBox, so the Aegis, being thinner, shouldn't have any problems. as for the ones at TMO or ATT, if you're talking about Nokia chargers (not sure if they sell any others - haven't looked) they're the same charger.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  15. Erickson187's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    103 Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    FYI, in the pictures that I took comparing the OtterBox to the Aegis, I did take into consideration the issue of perspective, so I made sure that the "tops" in the pictures were lined up, so that you could see the differences in the height by looking at the "bottom" end (top and bottom in the pictures).




    That's where I got mine, too - same stuff - on ebay. Same deal. Funny, though - NewYorkCellPhone is in South Carolina. LOL

    As for the wireless charging, there have been others that have documented positive results with the OtterBox, so the Aegis, being thinner, shouldn't have any problems. as for the ones at TMO or ATT, if you're talking about Nokia chargers (not sure if they sell any others - haven't looked) they're the same charger.
    Yea I noticed they were not actually out of NY and it was a great deal to pass up to get all the extra goodies. I plan on going to my local VZN store to check and make sure it would charge through and fit properly.

    I saw that T-Mobile has a rebate for $60 for buying their charging plate for the 810 and the wireless charging stand together. It seems that T-Mobile only sells the charging stand, while Verizon only carries the Nokia charging plate, yet ATT has both.

    I have really only seen the 822 charging backs sold from Verizon and have not seen them anywhere else like best buy or even the Microsoft store retail or online. Off topic but seems you know alot about the phones and stuff have you seen anywhere that has pre paid app cards? The only thing I have seen is the $5 app cards from the Bing rewards but not sold retail like the Microsoft points cards.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Erickson187 View Post
    Yea I noticed they were not actually out of NY and it was a great deal to pass up to get all the extra goodies. I plan on going to my local VZN store to check and make sure it would charge through and fit properly.
    It would surprise me if it didn't fit right, as the micro USB is ubiquitous.... The one I got with the case is still in the package.

    Quote Originally Posted by Erickson187 View Post
    I saw that T-Mobile has a rebate for $60 for buying their charging plate for the 810 and the wireless charging stand together. It seems that T-Mobile only sells the charging stand, while Verizon only carries the Nokia charging plate, yet ATT has both.
    Wow, that's a good deal. Too bad we haven't seen a deal like that on Verizon. Myself, I'd rather have the charging plate, because I plan to modify it for car use. Although, maybe I could do it with the stand, too.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Erickson187 View Post
    I have really only seen the 822 charging backs sold from Verizon and have not seen them anywhere else like best buy or even the Microsoft store retail or online. Off topic but seems you know alot about the phones and stuff have you seen anywhere that has pre paid app cards? The only thing I have seen is the $5 app cards from the Bing rewards but not sold retail like the Microsoft points cards.
    No, I haven't, but I haven't been looking for them, either. A quick search yields nothing...
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  17. mjmartin01's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    #17  
    hopmedic, who did you order your trident case from on ebay? I've been looking on ebay for a couple cases.

    Thanks,
    Michelle
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmartin01 View Post
    hopmedic, who did you order your trident case from on ebay? I've been looking on ebay for a couple cases.

    Thanks,
    Michelle
    Trident Aegis Nokia Lumia 822 Blue Gel Hard Cover Cvob CC CSTY AR | eBay
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  19. mjmartin01's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    #19  
    thank you :)
  20. tag39's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #20  
    Will you please post when Aegis comes out with a belt case that it will fit in. Thanks

    Terry
  21. #21  
    Reiko makes a belt case that it fits in, and one came with my Aegis that I bought on ebay. Link above in post #18.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
    Thanked by:
    tag39 
  22. Erickson187's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    103 Posts
    #22  
    A belt case came with mine to, I got it directly from a company called newtorkcellphone or something.

    Also wanted to verify the wireless charging plate fits in it and will charge it wirelessly.
  23. racerjim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    44 Posts
    #23  
    I got mine yesterday, and can support all that is mentioned here, except that my USB flap fits pretty well once it is inserted into the port correctly (inserting it is a bit of a fiddle, but not too bad). Mine appeared to come with some sort of screen protector, but there were no directions for its application. Anyone else apply the screen protector? Where are the instructions?

    Jim
  24. katiegal's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    #24  
    We ordered these cases a couple of weeks ago through Amazon. We like the case but did use an x-acto knife to cut the flaps off because they kept getting snagged on our jacket/pants pockets and one time even got tangled in my hair and I almost dropped my phone. Every case came with 2 kinds of chargers and a screen protector. The screen protecter fits well and goes on pretty easy (use a credit card to smooth out the bubbles, NOT the flimsy little piece of cardboard square they send with it), but the oil from your fingertips is really, REALLY, hard to wipe away. A soft cloth just doesn't cut it. Our search for good screen protectors continues.

Similar Threads

  1. Trident Aegis Case for 822
    By MadDogFL62 in forum Nokia Lumia 822
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-21-2013, 11:38 AM
  2. Excellent text and video review of the Lumia 900
    By Rodolfo#WP in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2012, 01:53 PM
  3. Some more camera shots and partial review
    By jawesome in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 08:07 PM
  4. Downloading pictures and videos onto PC
    By danielcj in forum Nokia Lumia 710
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 03:39 PM
  5. Pictures and videos sync to Skydrive
    By aubreyq in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-15-2011, 06:59 PM

Posting Permissions