Less Signal Strength in 822 than iPhone 4 on Verizon, why?

jridgers

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I got a new Nokia Lumia 822 on Verizon Wireless yesterday and I noticed the signal strength is reading differently (way less) than the signal strength on my old iPhone 4. Why would that be? Should I be concerned?

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
As I remember it iPhone4 had a pretty optimistic way of displaying the signal strength. Only way to really test it is to run Speedtest on both phones and see if they are comparable.

I would say that the Nokia should get better reception since the antenna is surrounded by plastic and not aluminum.

But try it out. Or if You are in a really low coverage area, try to see which phone drops a call first (just call voicemail etc. to test)

:)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I also seem to recall reading somewhere a while back that the signal strength displayed on the iPhone was rather "optimistic," so to speak. I'd agree with mio_BB - testing is the only way to know for certain. Is there even a standard for how the signal strength is displayed? If no, then that would lead me to think the phone's maker, or the OS maker, could show you whatever they wanted to show you.

Yes, I'm a cynic. :wink:

kg93678

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
The 822 is also an LTE phone while the iPhone isn't. Sometimes you might have a weaker connection to LTE instead of a stronger 3g displayed.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
The number of signal bars basically mean nothing because Apple uses a different method to calculate how many bars to display than Nokia.

In fact, due to the "antennagate" issue with iPhone4, in response Apple after launch increased the number of bars displayed visually even though it did not necessarily correspond to a signal quality increase. It was a way of addressing customer fears over poor reception with iPhone4 due to the antennagate issue, even if the original method of calculation may have been more acccurate.

In other words, the only real way to tell signal strength is to use both phones at the same time and see which does better in call quality and retaining calls, especially in fringe coverage areas.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
My wife had a Verizon iphone 4 and I have the 822 and I can say the two don't compare for reception. My wife's iphone was horrible where we live, but my Lumia gets 3G inside our house most of the time. Without wifi the iphone couldn't stream video while my Lumia can and I don't have the issues making calls she had. Like others have said, don't go by the bars, make calls and use data and see how they do.

racerjim

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I usually have only one or two bars on my 822 at home, but no issues connecting at 3G (LTE is iffy) and phone quality is very good.

aztec12

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I think it depends where you live and also the carrier. I have the 822 and has great signal better than any other phone I had including an old iphone 3g

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3