Am I the only one experiencing system wide sluggishness when SD card is present?

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have heard of people experiencing slow performance in the Xbox music app with there library's and other things, which i have as well, but my phone lags in a few other ways as well, but only when the SD card is plugged in. I have experimented many times and I am 100% sure that it is sd card related, because when I take it out, all my issues disappear immediately I am using a brand new class 10 32gb card, by the way.

With the SD card in, my phone will experience many delays. When i press the settings icon on my start screen, there is usually a 1-2 second delay from when i tap it to when the menu comes up. Pretty much anything to do with xbox music, be it pressing play, or trying to tap an artist to open, there is a second or 2 delay, and it will do this to both music on the phone and music on the sd card. The last thing that really annoys me is the camera delay. After half-holding the shutter button and getting the image focused, I depress the button completely, but it wont capture the image for at least 2 seconds, which really makes taking a lot of moving, shaky kinda shots hard. It usually only does this to the first picture after the app is opened, then the succeeding shots after that are usually much more responsive.

So is anyone with an sd card in their phone having delay issues like I am? None of these things make the phone unusable, but they are all annoying nonetheless. I feel like I haven't really heard anyone complain about this stuff, so if no one else is experiencing this, I'll just get my phone warrantied I guess.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I have 920 so no experience but I have seen a couple of threads in the 820 and 822 where people are having all sorts of issues. Somebody mentioned there is a known problem with Nokia and Class 10 cards. I don't know facts just what I've read. Also couple of posts with class 2 cards with no issues, but class 4 gives problems. Might want to search around and see what the general consensus is. Only I can recommend is format card and/or try different format.

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
tried 2 cards and reformatted both of them, I had a class 2 before this card, and it was slow but i figured it was just because it was a class 2, but it does the same stuff with the class 10. I haven't heard anyone complain about what I'm complaining about really, so there's not a whole lot to search for, I mean I've looked all over this forum.

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hmm never thought about that, I talked to Microsoft a while ago about it, but they had no solutions for me and said that they have only heard about the issue with Xbox music.

Andi_N

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that this is actually true, and this is not only a Nokia issue. The waiting time is the worst when opening Settings. This happens in my HTC 8S as well. I actually thought it was just because the 8S only has 1GHz dual core processor as opposed to other WP8 devices. But when I tried to remove the MicroSD, it actually went smooth. I think this is a WP8 OS issue. How the Os interacts with external storage. So I bet this issue could be fixed with future OS updates.

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I put a 16GB Lexar (Class 10) 16GB micro SD card into the Lumia 822. Then moved about 1.5 GBs of photos to it. Then synced about 1000 songs from various albums. all onto the SD card.

Zero issues... no slowdowns, ever.

(shrug!)

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hmm interesting, sounds like its effecting some phones and not others, maybe its just a certain brand of SD card. When did you get your phone big boy 29?

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
SD cards are a mess right now on this phone. I tried both a 64GB Sandisk UHS-1 and a 32GB Sandisk Class 4 and they both slowed down the phone and at times crashed it.

I heard it was confirmed PORTICO fixes the problem, but Verizon hasn't made it available yet.

Andi_N

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
SD cards are a mess right now on this phone. I tried both a 64GB Sandisk UHS-1 and a 32GB Sandisk Class 4 and they both slowed down the phone and at times crashed it.

I heard it was confirmed PORTICO fixes the problem, but Verizon hasn't made it available yet.

Hi Ruined

My HTC 8S is already on Portico, but it still has this problem. Because of it, I'm now just using my phone without external storage, I'm just streaming music from SkyDrive and SoundCloud and it's all smooth. I dunno maybe that's why Microsoft opted to not allow external storage in their high end devices. They probably saw this one coming. Hopefully this could be fixed by another major update.

ozzman0830

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
My first 822 was a disaster with an SD card. It didn't matter what brand or speed. My replacement phone (the first one locked up constantly) has no issues with the sd card, although it does act slow when initializing "settings" and the camera. I'm just happy it works. Coming from android, slow and clunky was the name of the game. :grin:

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
@BigBoy29, I'd like to add your card's specs to the list I've been putting together. Do you have a product model or a link I can reference?

Thanks,
Kelly

P.S. The list is at: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-822/211633-sd-cards-experiences-guide.html

Sure... I got the model LSDMI16GBSBNAR and bought it from Adorama here:

Lexar 16GB High-Speed microSDHC Secure Digital Memory Card with Card Reader LSDMI16GBSBNAR

When it arrived, I used the enclosed usb adapter, put it in a pc and reformatted it. Then into the phone it went and been rocking since.

I went with Lexar after reading various reviews and card tests... (shrug!)

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Hmm interesting, sounds like its effecting some phones and not others, maybe its just a certain brand of SD card. When did you get your phone big boy 29?

This particular device was ordered online on a launch day, due to various reasons, it took about 4 days to ship.

John D II

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
My phone has the sandisk ultra 64gb class 10 and my wifes 822 has the same in 32gb. Absolutely no issues here. Except that we can now record HD video without stuttering. From hitting settings until it opens up, how long are we talking here on a stopwatch?

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
On WP7, there was a phone with an SD card in it (Focus i think), and people had awful problems with that too. It was very picky about cards.

The problem is, cards are only rated on their maximum read/write speeds, whereas WP7 (and i'm guessing WP8) need very rapid random access speeds, but there is nowhere that publishes the details of the random access times.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I count about 1 second to load Settings, and I have the Sandisk 64gb card in my 822. I didn't notice any change in how fast the phone worked after installing the SD card.

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, mine does change sometimes, I will say that, and I can't figure out any reason why it changes, but sometimes it will open settings fairly quick, but other times, it will take a lot longer

So lee b, does your camera have any lag when pressing the shutter button? That is something consistent with mine

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Update: I decided to warranty my phone, just to see if it would remedy my issues. I formatted the card inside the phone, and then plugged it in a put some music on it. To my surprise, most of the slow performance issues I was experiencing had disappeared. The camera finally worked without delay, and the music played much more quickly. A few days went by, and nothing changed except for me installing a few apps maybe, but the sluggishness has re-appeared. I have no idea why, and like I said before, I changed nothing on the phone except installing or uninstalling some random apps, but that should have no effect on performance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3