GPS on 822/Verizon

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Having had issues with my prior phones' GPS on Verizon (BB Curve, Pre Plus, Pre 2), I'm curious to find out from 822 owners if the GPS is fully functional and accurate on Verizon's network, or has Verizon borked this phone's GPS too? I haven't seen any comments either way on it and would like to know before my upgrade is available and I take the plunge.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That's good to hear. Verizon has a habit of forcing you to use their Navigator product to get the GPS to work properly. I have to pull some fancy tricks to get my Pre 2 GPS to work the way it should and would like to have a phone where the GPS just works. Sounds like the 822's does. Thanks for the replies.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
That's good to hear. Verizon has a habit of forcing you to use their Navigator product to get the GPS to work properly. I have to pull some fancy tricks to get my Pre 2 GPS to work the way it should and would like to have a phone where the GPS just works. Sounds like the 822's does. Thanks for the replies.
What habit are you talking about? Verizon hasn't touched GPS on phones in like 5 years. The WinMo i760 was the last one I can think of.

Teeb omus

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I also had a Pre Plus before my Trophy and it had terrible, basically no, GPS. When you get your new Nokia you will not believe the difference in the GPS and many other ways. Good luck.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
What habit are you talking about? Verizon hasn't touched GPS on phones in like 5 years. The WinMo i760 was the last one I can think of.

Sorry...but bull. My Curve 8330 (as well as my wife's) had issues, my Pre Plus, Pre 2, and used Pixi+ I picked up to play with, all had issues, as well as my wife's BB Curve 8530. Verizon has been messing with the GPS access on their phones for years. Sure...some of their preferred phones, like their Droids, may not have been as subject to this, but quite a few phone models did.

I'm glad the 822 is not one of them.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Sorry...but bull. My Curve 8330 (as well as my wife's) had issues, my Pre Plus, Pre 2, and used Pixi+ I picked up to play with, all had issues, as well as my wife's BB Curve 8530. Verizon has been messing with the GPS access on their phones for years. Sure...some of their preferred phones, like their Droids, may not have been as subject to this, but quite a few phone models did.

I'm glad the 822 is not one of them.

Sorry, but you're incorrect. They stated at the end of 2008 that they were done messing with GPS on devices. The devices you listed just had crappy GPS. The Palm Pre 2 was horrible. Nothing to do with Verizon.

The 8330 you mention was one of the devices back in 2008 that Verizon did mess with then released an update to unlock it. All devices since then have been unlocked. If they sucked it was because of the device maker.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but you're incorrect. They stated at the end of 2008 that they were done messing with GPS on devices. The devices you listed just had crappy GPS. The Palm Pre 2 was horrible. Nothing to do with Verizon.

The 8330 you mention was one of the devices back in 2008 that Verizon did mess with then released an update to unlock it. All devices since then have been unlocked. If they sucked it was because of the device maker.

And you believed them? The Pre- and Pixi - GPS worked fine on Sprint (Pre- launched in June 2009). My Pre+ (a phone released early 2010 - got mine in March) would work just fine if I launched VZNavigator and left it running in the background. Verizon later blocked that. My Pre 2 can be tricked to run just fine by using a GPS app that forces the GPS chip on. My wife's 9530 Curve was purchased the same time I got my Pre + and her phone also had crappy GPS. My Pixi+ GPS will work if I can connect to a Verizon tower (I don't use it as my phone) and launch the VZNavigator app (shock!). When I was able to trick my Pre+ GPS to work, it worked fine. It wasn't the best GPS chip, but it worked well enough. But Verizon blocking the workaround killed that. The fact you actually believe they stopped "messing" with the GPS on phones is hillarious. My 8330 was in use until I got my Pre+ in March of 2010, and the GPS still failed to function the way it did on other carriers. I had kept that phone up to date until I got rid of it, so I know not of this update you refer to.

What are you...some VZW employee or shill? The forums on sites like webOS nation are littered with threads on Verizon locking out the GPS function, which works beautifully if you pay - hmmm - for their navigation service. 2+2 still equals 4 where I come from. Verizon locked out GPS' so they could force you to pay for their service if you wanted an accurate GPS signal. It's just that simple.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
And you believed them? The Pre- and Pixi - GPS worked fine on Sprint (Pre- launched in June 2009). My Pre+ (a phone released early 2010 - got mine in March) would work just fine if I launched VZNavigator and left it running in the background. Verizon later blocked that. My Pre 2 can be tricked to run just fine by using a GPS app that forces the GPS chip on. My wife's 9530 Curve was purchased the same time I got my Pre + and her phone also had crappy GPS. My Pixi+ GPS will work if I can connect to a Verizon tower (I don't use it as my phone) and launch the VZNavigator app (shock!). When I was able to trick my Pre+ GPS to work, it worked fine. It wasn't the best GPS chip, but it worked well enough. But Verizon blocking the workaround killed that. The fact you actually believe they stopped "messing" with the GPS on phones is hillarious. My 8330 was in use until I got my Pre+ in March of 2010, and the GPS still failed to function the way it did on other carriers. I had kept that phone up to date until I got rid of it, so I know not of this update you refer to.

What are you...some VZW employee or shill? The forums on sites like webOS nation are littered with threads on Verizon locking out the GPS function, which works beautifully if you pay - hmmm - for their navigation service. 2+2 still equals 4 where I come from. Verizon locked out GPS' so they could force you to pay for their service if you wanted an accurate GPS signal. It's just that simple.

Shill? Ha, no. I manage our mobile environment for my company, years of Blackberry, old school WinMo and the last few years Androids and iPhones no issues with GPS after 2008. However, after your last grumpy old man post I did a quick Google and yeah, there is some half truths to what you are talking about. GPS was available just fine on WebOS, unblocked by Verizon like they said. However, for whatever reason, Verizon did not allow 3rd party apps on WebOS access to their AGPS system which is their tower assited service and what helps GPS systems make a lock way fast.

Why that is, who knows why Verizon would deny that to WebOS and allow it for Blackberry,WinMo,Android and iOS? Dunno, seems pretty lame to me that they would just exclude WebOS from their tower data, but maybe they license it and Palm didn't want to pay, who knows.... I'm still correct in saying that after 2008 Verizon did not block access to the GPS of smartphones. :) From your point of view, you are also correct. :)

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
On the Pre phones, the GPS chip would not come on and lock, on Verizon, unless you launched VZNavigator. The AGPS was a separate, but tied, issue. There is actually a guide through which you can hack your Pre and get the GPS chip to act normal. I'm still living this with my Pre 2 which I only got 17 months ago. If I sign up for the service, I can get my Pre 2's GPS to work perfectly. Without it, there is only a workaround trick that sometimes works, and sometimes does not.

In any case, I got the answer I wanted from the others on this thread: no issues on the 822 on Verizon. I'm satisfied with that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes