Lumina 822 screen doesn't light up but the phone is on

illuminator12

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Can someone please help me?

I know my phone is still on- because I still hear incoming call rings and text notification, but there's no way to see anything on the screen because the screen is completely black. The only way to turn off the phone is to remove battery. I tried soft reset several times but still dark screen (only 3 navigation buttons at the bottom light up). I have already requested a replacement from verizon but before doing so, I need to get access to my phone to transfer photos and files. I connected the USB to my Mac and it recognizes the device, but no folders showed up in my phone!! I haven't yet got around to synch photos to skydrive and then this happend!!

I called Nokia but they can't help me much because they can't naviagate a black screen. I think those files are still somewhere in my internal 16GB so I don't want to return the phone without first attempting to get those files out. If I absolutely can't salvage those photos and files, I rather erase them myself so no one at Nokia or Verizon will have access to those files. But I can't view anything on the screen so what are my options? Please help! :cry::crying::crying: Thanks!

jana8899

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Did you have a lock code on your phone? If so, that is why you are not able to see your phone folders on your PC. If you didn't have a lock code, then you should be able to see your phone folders when connected to your PC. Have you downloaded the Windows Phone desktop app for your Mac from the App Store?

Can you swipe down at the top of the screen to see if it will show the status bar, i.e. the network status, the battery indicator, etc? Have you tried a hard reset? Note: this will wipe your device, i.e. remove your photos, apps etc. Restoring th phone at restart will bring back your email accoutns and apps but NOT your photos, vidoes or music, so this may not the best solution for you.
How to perform a hard reset:
With the phone turned off, press Power key to turn ON the phone, then immediately press and hold Volume Down key.
2. An “!” mark will appear on the display.
3. Press the following keys in this order:
o Volume up
o Volume Down
o Power Key
o Volume Down
o Device will now reset.

Let me know if this helps.
Jana at Nokia

illuminator12

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi, Thanks for the response... I haven't tried on a Windows 8 computer yet, only the earlier versions, such as XP and Vista. I will have to ask around for a W8 laptop/PC soon to try this out! Thanks again..

Did you try to plug it in to a Windows 8 computer? You should be able to see what is on your phone.

illuminator12

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi, thank you for your response.. I don't think there's a lock code on my phone. My Mac does recognize a Lumia 822 folder in iPhoto but it showed 0 photos. Strangely, it doesn't show on Finder under devices. There's no response when I swipe down at the top of the screen, still black but 3 navigations at the bottom seem to work. I can feel the vibration when I tab any of these three when light's on, but of course, nothing on the screen. Let me try downloading the WP desktop app to see what happens. I will need to first successfully upgrade to OS X 10.7 because it's Snow Leopard. I am just frantically trying to find ways to recover those photos before hard reset... Will keep you posted! Thanks again..

Hi,

Did you have a lock code on your phone? If so, that is why you are not able to see your phone folders on your PC. If you didn't have a lock code, then you should be able to see your phone folders when connected to your PC. Have you downloaded the Windows Phone desktop app for your Mac from the App Store?

Can you swipe down at the top of the screen to see if it will show the status bar, i.e. the network status, the battery indicator, etc? Have you tried a hard reset? Note: this will wipe your device, i.e. remove your photos, apps etc. Restoring th phone at restart will bring back your email accoutns and apps but NOT your photos, vidoes or music, so this may not the best solution for you.
How to perform a hard reset:
With the phone turned off, press Power key to turn ON the phone, then immediately press and hold Volume Down key.
2. An “!” mark will appear on the display.
3. Press the following keys in this order:
o Volume up
o Volume Down
o Power Key
o Volume Down
o Device will now reset.

Let me know if this helps.
Jana at Nokia

illuminator12

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi, after trying all your suggestions i am sad to say nothing worked so i finally sent the defect phone back today. i am not sure if hard reset took place because there's nothing on the screen (not even an "!" mark). i spoke with verizon's tech support, they said they automatically wipes the memory once they receive the phone then upload diagnostic program to determine whether is was software or hardware.. as i mentioned to gapost, it's a really hard and painful lesson for me. nothing can ever replace lost photos!! :( thanks much for coming to an aid....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs