Looking at Lumia 822

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I have had my L822 since a few weeks after launch. It is by far the best smart phone I have owned to date. my only gripe about this phone was that the back was sort of slippery. I solved that by getting an incipio feather case. Problem solved. You really have to love the micro sd card slot. I copied all my music from my computer to the card then popped the card in the phone. Everything was there, ready to use. I am a bit dissapointed that the wireless charging cover for the 822 is only available in black. I bought the grey version of the phone. Perhaps I shouldnt worry about that since the case fully covers the back. My wife is an iPhone user and she is going Windows Phone 8 for her next upgrade. What swayed me to get the Lumia 822 over the 8x was the micro SD card slot. I read alot about the differences in the screen but when I looked at them side by side I really didnt see much of a difference at all.
Yeah I liked the 8x too but the non-removable battery and no micro SD slot took it out of contention. Plus I just like the form factor of the 822 better. I still have to wait a bit as Verizon is pretty insistent about the upgrade date. They didn't seem even remotely interested in letting me upgrade a couple of weeks early.

ultralight23

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I've had my 822 for a couple of weeks as well and absolutely no "major" complaints and some of those will be resolved with the update. As far as forfeiting all my Play Store paid apps, didn't hurt my feelings after realizing how much I appreciated its functionality...it's really a great phone. Also remember your 15 (or is it 30) day return policy if you're not happy.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I think I'll be ok as long as I don't have any hardware or OS issues. The response I've gotten here is really good. Everyone participating in the forum have been very helpful and seem to like the phone. The few paid Android apps I have aren't a deal breaker. I only have a few paid and a few free apps on my current phone. Personally I don't get all the yapping about 1000's of apps from iPhone users...Who cares? I'll install five good ones and that's all I'll need... :eek:rly:

ultralight23

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
....Personally I don't get all the yapping about 1000's of apps from iPhone users...Who cares? I'll install five good ones and that's all I'll need... :eek:rly:

I agree, this wasn't a deal
breaker from me either. Only gripe I have is no Swype which is an OS issue and no Sirius. I emailed Sirius and they said they had no intentions for developing a wp8 app....someone need to make a portal (though I realize wp8 doesn't support flash).

Factman

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Maybe we should all email Sirius and ask when they are going to have a WP8 app available. Crazy that they have a crackberry app, but not a WP8 app! I just sent an email.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Well I just got back from the Verizon store where I tried to upgrade to the Lumia. I was told that Verizon will NOT let me upgrade even one day early! I'm only a week out. I guess they don't want my business very much.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Well I just got back from the Verizon store where I tried to upgrade to the Lumia. I was told that Verizon will NOT let me upgrade even one day early! I'm only a week out. I guess they don't want my business very much.
I feel your pain my friend, they did the same to me. I ended up buying my 822 outright because I wanted to keep my unlimited data plan and that's the only way to do it. So I just bought it about a month before my upgrade date.

Shantanu Kongara

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Went ahead and got a 822 in white for myself. I just couldn't wait any longer for the laser and frankly dint think I would have enjoyed waiting till probably May for slightly better specs and a 149$ price tag. Fooled around with my wife,s red 822 and realized its the perfect device for me as well. Absolutely wonderful device. Really happy with it.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I guess business must be good if you can chase paying customers out of the store. Maybe I'll try another carrier. Verizon's customer service has always sucked.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
If it wasn't because my wife and I are still sharing one of the old family plans, I probably would've gone with a different carrier.

Edward_g

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I've had the 822 for a few months now and I love it. The perfect device for me as well.
I've been a Verizon customer for many years and have never had a problem with their service. I think that they have to follow their upgrade policy consistently to treat everyone fairly. It would be almost impossible to react to thousands of special circumstances that are requesting early upgrades even if its only a matter of days. And if they start making exceptions it wouldn't be fair for those that understand and play by the rules.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I guess business must be good if you can chase paying customers out of the store. Maybe I'll try another carrier. Verizon's customer service has always sucked.

I don't know why you would expect to get an early upgrade. Just wait another week. Have at least a little patience.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why you would expect to get an early upgrade. Just wait another week. Have at least a little patience.
Why not? They could get me on the hook for two more years. I really don't see the down side for them. It's not like I'm months away. Not to mention the rep tried to "push" my upgrade which implies it's they have a mechanism to accomplish just such a request. I tried because I'm going to be busy at work and may not have the time in the next few weeks and the crap phone they sold 18 months ago me is giving problems.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I've had the 822 for a few months now and I love it. The perfect device for me as well.
I've been a Verizon customer for many years and have never had a problem with their service. I think that they have to follow their upgrade policy consistently to treat everyone fairly. It would be almost impossible to react to thousands of special circumstances that are requesting early upgrades even if its only a matter of days. And if they start making exceptions it wouldn't be fair for those that understand and play by the rules.
Play by the rules? They make the rules, not the customer. And as I said in my previous post, if a rep can try to "push" my upgrade he's either bull****ting me or there is a mechanism to do that... The rules are whatever they say they are when it works for them. I wouldn't stay with them except for the fact that they have the best coverage where I live. I've had way better customer experiences with a cell provider, but the coverage was lacking.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Look at the article today it shows the 822 is the best selling wp8 device to date. That shows how strong of a device it is and how well Verizon is doing for windows devices.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Look at the article today it shows the 822 is the best selling wp8 device to date. That shows how strong of a device it is and how well Verizon is doing for windows devices.
I agree. Compared to the other carriers Verizon seems to be more engaged with Windows phones. I'm guessing the 822 is doing so well because it does what most of us really want out of a phone. It seems perfect for me.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is very dedicated to Windows Phone 8 - and they are becoming more and more dedicated to Nokia. They were disappointed that HTC did not offer a 32GB version of the 8X and that they refused to add LTE to the 8S. Verizon wanted the 8S, but new smartphones must have LTE.

Verizon would really like to offer more Nokias. Nokia actually gave them a slight price break when they reduced the price to free with contract. I've heard that there is an update to the 822 coming at some point with a higher end screen and probably built in wireless charging. They really want three tiers of Nokia phones - free, $99, and $199. I have heard that the 928 may not only have a higher MP sensor than the 920, but also microSD support to go with 32GB with a faster GPU.

Even so, I love my Lumia 822. Not surprised at the success. I expect a variant of the 720 or 620 with LTE to show up as a free phone, the 822 to see an update (and it could end up being wireless charging built in and including the wireless charger with the package), and the 920 variant.

Verizon is concerned about letting Samsung get too much play in the WP8 market because of their strength with Android. They don't think HTC can dominate any market. So they really want to see Nokia vie with Samsung and Apple as the top phone manufacturers. Three big phone OEMs is better than one or two.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I personally don't understand manufactures decisions to have non-user replaceable batteries and non-expandable storage. That takes a few phones right out of contention for me, the 8x being one of them although I like the form factor of the 822 better anyway. I would pay a reasonable price for the 822. I'm not interested in it just because its free. I'd pay the $99 especially if they threw in the wireless charger.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't understand manufactures decisions to have non-user replaceable batteries and non-expandable storage. That takes a few phones right out of contention for me, the 8x being one of them although I like the form factor of the 822 better anyway. I would pay a reasonable price for the 822. I'm not interested in it just because its free. I'd pay the $99 especially if they threw in the wireless charger.

Exactly. I was ready and willing to pay $99 for it, but my contract expired less than two weeks before it went to zero. So I paid $49 and Verizon gave me that back when the price dropped. I think the value is incredible. Outside of lack of built in wireless charging and the lower resolution AMOLED (which still looks great), the 822 is a high end phone. 16GB internal storage, microSD expansion, Snapdragon S4 running at 1.5GHZ, and very good 8MP camera (that was another possible improvement for the 822 update - a backlit sensor). It's a great phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3