Visual Notification

JimOhara

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to have a visual notification of missed call or text message. My Palm Pre2 had a little light that flashed when the phone was asleep, which was great you always new if some had called by the light notification. I just wondering if I am missing something here?

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Probably the most requested feature that hopefully will be addressed in a future update. Believe me, I know what you mean I came over from a BB Torch and really miss that blinking LED.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
In the meantime, you can have your texts, missed calls and emails show up on your lock screen. But to see them you to wake up the phone of course.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
M$ fanboys explaining why you don't need this feature and why you have to be a slave to your phone and not the phone a slave to you, in 3..2..1..

I don't know what the MS-Fanboys are going to say, but as far as I know other OSes like iOS and Andorid don't have the LED-status feature neither...at least not all the devices have them... (iOS5 has the LED-flashing, but that's not really what the OP was talking about)...

I for myself had a BB and just loved the LED notifications. The thing is that only business aimed devices like Blackberrys or Palms get the feature...

I would love to have something like that on my Windows Phone!

ps: I had a Samsung Galaxy SII for a few months... Nice device? Sure! LED-Notifications? NOPE! there was no LED to begin with... you could install some apps, which would show some notifications on the screen...but all of them killed my battery on a regular basis... So don't act like WP was the only OS without the awesome LED-notifications...

Ludwig1976

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
other OSes like iOS and Andorid don't have the LED-status feature neither...at least not all the devices have them... (iOS5 has the LED-flashing, but that's not really what the OP was talking about)...

In that cases, OS gives developers access to notification queue and the can write an app for repeated notifications by sound.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
So what? We are talking about an awesome feature missing on Windows Phone. Would it be nice to have it? Hell yeah! That's a fact.

Does it mean that we have to compare all the possible ways of notifying on all the possible OSes? Nope! Why? Because we are talking about a silent way of a notification without having to touch the device... And: Because (not talking about BB and Palm) the other systems just got some kind of features dealing with that problem (like iOS with the LED-flash notifications). I am not aware of the newer versions of Android phones and what kind of features they have, but as far as I know there is no "you have to put LEDs on your devices if you want to be able to use android as your system!"-condition. So you never know if the next device is going to have the feature or not...

And yeah... there are apps doing stuff like that...I already mentioned that I tried them... Almost all of them seem to have some issues and only work for Android... Because of the way Android works... Do I want an OS with all the possible ways a developer can change stuff on the phone? nope! Thatswhy I am using a WP-device up to +100 days without having my phone rebooting itself, having problems and lags.. because the OS ist sabile as ****

So let's agree that we all would love to have more notification-possibilities on our Windows Phone and stop comparing apples and oranges!

Ludwig1976

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Change stuff on the phone, just giving access to notification queue? Sound weird.
It would be enough giving developers access to wake-up display function (by explicit confirmation, just like when an app have to use gps or stop the music) and you'd have your silent notification without a LED.
Sadly, WP not only lacks thousand of features but it is also a very close platform.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
See, that's what I am talking about. If you give devs the possibility to run something like "give a sound notification every 30 minutes, until the user sees the notification", you are going to end up with an app running in the background waiting for 30 minutes and checking for new notifications. In theory it might work...sure. But the reality (on android) shows us, that there are a lot of risks doing this. In theory an app doing the same just on a visual way should work just fine, right? the reality is: there are users who have no problems with apps like that. But there are also a lot of users having trouble with battery drain or other issues created by apps like that... I am one of them.

And this is just one example for "close system vs. open system". They have both their advantages. I for myself love using close systems because they are a lot more stabile (as I already mentioned: my HTC 7 Pro worked 111 days streight without any issues or whatever. None of my friends trying to do the same with their andorid devices made it to week 4 or 5 without rebooting the device).

WP does not lack thousands of features... i sure needs some! But all in all i am a lot happyier with my WP than I ever was with my old Iphone or all the Android devices I uses for work...

"It would be enough giving developers access to wake-up display function (by explicit confirmation, just like when an app have to use gps or stop the music) and you'd have your silent notification without a LED." I guess you don't know how such things work... it is not that simple and would require background tasks of checking and showing stuff and so on... there is no "simple" way of doing this..

Ludwig1976

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
the reality is: there are users who have no problems with apps like that. But there are also a lot of users having trouble with battery drain or other issues created by apps like that... I am one of them.
Just like in WP. There users experiencing battery drain issue and users that aren't with likely every app. Sorry for you, wrong example.

WP does not lack thousands of features...
I'm sorry: it lacks tens of thousand features. Fixed, thanks.

But all in all i am a lot happyier with my WP than I ever was with my old Iphone or all the Android devices I uses for work...
Good for you.

I guess you don't know how such things work...
You're guessing too much. I'm a developer.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
(...)

You're guessing too much. I'm a developer.

haha, I don't think so ;) Or at least you are not one, who knows the difficulties of tasks like the ones you wish on a system like WP... In that case: If you are a developer, then I hope for your sake that you are not one for mobile devices running current OS...

Well I guess we "offtopiced" enough here, don't you think?
Let us stop this discussion, because it is not going anywhere... So: have a nice day, Sir ;)

Ludwig1976

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
haha, I don't think so ;) Or at least you are not one, who knows the difficulties of tasks like the ones you wish on a system like WP... In that case: If you are a developer, then I hope for your sake that you are not one for mobile devices running current OS...
Too bad. I was hoping to discuss about how much memory WP reserves to background tasks or about the timeout, which are, both of them, great solution to avoid issues you've mentioned, but obviously you haven't enough arguments, except insulting, so... I agree, I have to avoid wasting time with another MS ******.

Have a nice day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo