New Wp 8 822 user. My review

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
A little about previous phones first. First PDA was a Palm Pre then a Samsung, cannt remember the name right now. Then came the first Droid by Motorola. After that I was hooked on smartphones. Eventually I went to a BB Storm and then back to Droid. I had a probably about 4-5 Droids. I also had a 4s for couple of months. Then went to the S3. Now I decided I would try WP8, so I bought a 822.

First off I can't write this thread from the desktop site, I have to use the mobile version. I have never had this happen to me on any previous phone. Go figure a WP site and I can't use the desktop from my WP phone. Everytime I tap to write the keyboard comes up and then goes back down. No big deal,just don't understand why.

Navigation- So I tried it out today for a short while and it wasn't refreshing to the speed of the car. I will try it again for a longer period of time. Also why no north heading? I want the map to be in the direction I am traveling. Just about every GPS out there has this option. I guess I will have to wait and see if they add this feature.

BT- Doesn't auto connect in my car. This is a big pain that everytime I get in the car I have to manually connect. My last three phones always auto connected. EDIT: This morning it auto connected. Must have been something I did with the car BT or phone BT.

Phone dialer- I bring the dial pad up and if I don't know the number I have to go to the contact list. Droid you start typing in the letters of the first name and it goes giving contacts associated with what your typing. Its a nice feature to have.

OS- Its nice and fluent. I like the gestures it does when you open something up. Its simple and its not a pain to find settings, android has alot of setting in so many places, get aggravating trying to figure out where you saw a specific one. It would have be nice if you could add a page to limit the amount of icons on the second page. Or be able to add all your apps to a separate page. I just guess I got use to the customization of android.

Size- I don't like big phones. I like the screens on then but that's about it. The 822 is perfect for me, maybe little bigger but not S3 big. I like the feel of the phone and the shiny white really makes it stand out. I was tired of black phones. Battery is good so far. Has been lasting me 12 hours of moderate use and where I work, we have bad reception, so bad reception=battery drain.

Screen- Although not the best res its not really noticeable on most things. I do notice the not so sharp letters on websites but not really a big deal. Ofcourse the higher res, like the S3 is better but the S3 sucks in direct sunlight. The 822 is much better in that aspect.

Camera- Not alot of options, but then again if I want to take a good picture or one to cherish, it wouldn't be with a phone camera. Its hard getting use to the physical camera button after coming from onscreen buttons. I really haven't noticed it being any slower or faster than the S3. You press the button, it focus and shoots just lime the S3. Pictures are good quality but like I said they aren't pics I cherish enough to print and put in a frame.

Email- Its awesome. My S3 couldn't sync my Gmail correct, go figure. And the yahoo app sucked.

Messaging- Well it messaging,it works. I don't text much so maybe that's why.
Apps- I am not into apps either. I maybe had 10 apps on the S3. Some of which I wish I had on this phone,like Wells Fargo and two other banks that I use. But I still haven't gone and searched for the other apps I had so will see what else I have to live without.

Battery- Its my 3rd day and the battery isnt holding up like the S3, which is expected since its a 2100 vs 1800. Today it went off the charger at 6:00am and by 5:30pm it was dead. Not bad for a 1800. The S3 would have lasted till 10:00pm with same usage.

Well that's all for now. I ha e had this phone for 2 days now and so far not bad. It a change from android and there is things I miss. Maybe Windows will add it later on the road. Now this is my opinion and from my personal experience dealing with alot of phones.

This is just a comparision between the 2 different phones I have. Its not meant to degrade the 822 or WP 8.

Last edited:

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Camera- Not alot of options, but then again if I want to take a good picture or one to cherish, it wouldn't be with a phone camera. Its hard getting use to the physical camera button after coming from onscreen buttons. I really haven't noticed it being any slower or faster than the S3. You press the button, it focus and shoots just lime the S3. Pictures are good quality but like I said they aren't pics I cherish enough to print and put in a frame.

>>> you don't need to use the camera buttn. you can touch the screen where u want the camera to focus and it will focus and take the pic.. this is the best way to avoid the shake when you try to press the camera button

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
^^^ I just tried that out. Good tip. Like I said, only had it for 2 days so still learning the little tricks. Today I used the Here Drive+Beta and that map is oriented in the direction your going.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Hay pursuit2550, check to see if you have the latest update on your phone, go to settings,phone update and check. I also had this problem but it went away with one of the updates.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
i have the same as your os version #
My Filmware # is 1532.5951.1250.1012
Verizon

update: I just tried using the desktop on my phone and it's posting without a problem.

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
"First off I can't write this thread from the desktop site, I have to use the mobile version. I have never had this happen to me on any previous phone. Go figure a WP site and I can't use the desktop from my WP phone. Everytime I tap to write the keyboard comes up and then goes back down. No big deal,just don't understand why."

I had this issue as well. I solved it by purchasing the WP Central app. Worth the buck for sure... :smile: As for battery life, it should improve. My phone has been up 13 hrs and has 85% left (admittedly light use, mostly email). I also turned off the GPS (as I don't use any location services). I basically used the same technique I used with Android to improve my battery life.

cwbcpa71

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I just received my 822 today. I bought a used one off Ebay. Looks brand new and works great. This is my first time with any Windows Phone. I have used android, iOS and Blackberry (not BB10). My first impressions are very good. The phone itself feels very solid and is a great size. Not too big and not too small. Everything seems to be working smoothly after a half dozen phone calls, a few text messages and about 20 emails. I wanted to buy a WP and give it 30 days or so and see what I really thought. I will update again as I get more involved and use it as my daily driver.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
New to this device and WP8, but not Windows Phone in general. Overall, Windows Phone seems to have dramatically stepped their game up and has been working fast to close the app gap. So far, I haven't had a lot of the issues that others have been reporting (duplicate songs in Xbox Music being a top one), but I am having problems with MMS (I assume that's because I'm using an AT&T sim), and Nokia Music & Here Drive not being able to download to my phone. Minor annoynaces but I'm ok at the moment. If I feel any more pressing about those issues, I'll get a 520 or a used 920.

cwbcpa71

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I have been using the 822 for two days now. I am becoming more familiar with WP8 in general. Lots of searching these forums for answers. There are a lot of answers to questions here as there have been on all the Mobile Nations sites. Anyway, I am really enjoying the phone. I love the size. I was using the Galaxy S4 prior to this and the smaller screen is noticeable, but not an issue for me. The one thing I do notice is the lower resolution on the screen. Again, I was expecting it so not really an issue. If I decide to stick with Windows Phone I will end up getting a higher end device in a few months. The positives that jump out at me are: 1) how well the device is made. It feels great in the hand. It in no way feels cheap to me. It feels like, and is, a quality device. 2) The Live Tiles. It is going to take me quite some time to get the tiles the way I like them and learn which ones can make my day easier, but I am loving the options I have to make that happen. 3) Nokia apps. I have not had a Nokia phone in about 15 years. They are killing it with the quality of the phone and the apps. I am still getting to know the apps, but so far the Drive+, Maps and Music are amazing. I have used all three quite a bit in the last 2 days and I like all of them a lot. Not missing Google at all. 4) Outlook. I have been using GMail, Google Calendar and Google Contacts for about 3 years or so. I copied Calendar and Contacts to Outlook and I'm running email through my Hotmail account. Everything is working great and is integrated very well with the phone. 5) Apps. Yes I am listing apps as a positive. I do a lot of different things with my phone through the day. I do need certain types of apps to accomplish certain things. So far I have found an app to do everything I did with my android or iOS device in the past. I'm sure there are apps missing that some people like to have, but I can say that I was really surprised that I have all I need considering all the different things I do all day.

The only negative that really is more of an adjustment on my part is with notifications. I need to get my tiles set up in a way that I can easily see new notification coming in. There doesn't seem to be one place to go see all notifications. That's what the tiles are for I guess. Not a huge deal as I will adjust.

Bottom line is that I am enjoying the phone and have more to explore in photos and camera. Have not touched that yet really. I am looking forward to more pleasant surprises.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)