Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
Like Tree5Likes
  1. gbafam's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
       #1  
    I've been pondering moving to the 822 (and now, perhaps, the 928) from the pre 2 for some time. I want to keep my unlimited verizon data plan, so I'll be paying out of pocket for either the 822 or the 928. I'm wondering if someone here has had direct experience with both and has any observations about just how much better the 928 is than the 822. I can probably pick up the 822 on ebay for 150 bucks and we are no doubt some months away from a drop in price on ebay for the 928 of that magnitude. There are some obvious differences, a better flash on the 928, the 822 is smaller (which is, in my view, an advantage not a disadvantage) and I gather the screen on the 922 might be a little better (although how you would know is beyond me) but in terms of function, operation, apps, and so forth, does it really matter?

    I'm also wondering if there isn't some urgency in making the switch now, as opposed to some months from now, given some of the rumors circulating about Verizon's willingness to continue with the unlimited data plan options.

    Any thoughts?
  2. James8561's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,099 Posts
    #2  
    specs for 822:
    Nokia Lumia 822 - Specifications - Nokia - USA
    specs for 928:
    Nokia Lumia 928 - Specifications - Nokia - USA

    the 928 is taller, thinner, heavier, and has a high resolution screen. 222 ppi vs 331 ppi makes for much sharper text and nicer graphics. personally I wouldn't buy a phone with <300ppi.
    the 822 also lacks PureMotion HD+. the 928 has a bigger battery which will allow you to use it longer.

    probably the most important difference is that the 822 has only 16GB of storage, microSD onboard while the 928 has 32GB of storage but no expansion.
    also, the 928 comes with headphones, if that matter.
    Thanked by:
  3. Ziggie2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #3  
    I have no experience with the 928.

    I picked up the 822 on eBay for $165 two months ago and I love it. I too wanted to keep my unlimited data and the 822 was a cost effective solution that I have no regrets about.
  4. mlcooper54's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    31 Posts
    #4  
    Expandable storage on the 822 is most important for me. Calling, texting, email, and web browsing on the 822 work perfectly well for my needs. I have a Nikon D300 with expensive low light lenses so camera quality is not an issue for me. I've had to yank the battery a couple times. I don't believe that's possible with the 928. Wireless charging is an add-on option on the 822. Again, that is important for me. May not be important for many, but you are paying for it with the 928. At this point, I can't see what new feature would cause me to give up my 822.
    rcazador likes this.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcooper54 View Post
    Expandable storage on the 822 is most important for me. Calling, texting, email, and web browsing on the 822 work perfectly well for my needs. I have a Nikon D300 with expensive low light lenses so camera quality is not an issue for me. I've had to yank the battery a couple times. I don't believe that's possible with the 928. Wireless charging is an add-on option on the 822. Again, that is important for me. May not be important for many, but you are paying for it with the 928. At this point, I can't see what new feature would cause me to give up my 822.
    Yanking the battery isn't necessary. Hold power and down volume at the same time and you'll get the same result as yanking the battery.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  6. #6  
    If you don't mind no microSD and removable battery, the 928 is better. 32GB is a lot, but some say it enough. I think its fine.
  7. mlcooper54's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    31 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    Yanking the battery isn't necessary. Hold power and down volume at the same time and you'll get the same result as yanking the battery.
    I believe the power/down button reboot did not work when I tried it. Because my 822 is in an OtterBox, pulling the battery is never my first choice. I may have not given the 2-button reboot enough time.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcooper54 View Post
    I believe the power/down button reboot did not work when I tried it. Because my 822 is in an OtterBox, pulling the battery is never my first choice. I may have not given the 2-button reboot enough time.
    I had an OtterBox on my 822 for a short time (I ended up liking the Trident Aegis more), so I know your pain. Yeah, the 2 button reboot works - did it many times. Haven't had to do it yet since I switched to the 928, though.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  9. mlcooper54's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    31 Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    I had an OtterBox on my 822 for a short time (I ended up liking the Trident Aegis more), so I know your pain. Yeah, the 2 button reboot works - did it many times. Haven't had to do it yet since I switched to the 928, though.
    Rich - Thanks for the heads-up on the Trident. I'm IT for a refractories construction company (think wet, brick dust, carbon dust, bricks, high temps.....nasty). Our field crews all have iPhone 4's because OtterBox did not make a Defender for the Trophy back when we got rid of our BlackBerries. Our sales and engineering guys have 822's now and don't need rugged duty. I try to use the same hardware I recommend for our crews, so I have a Defender for my 822....way overkill for my needs.

    Next time (if) my 822 locks up I'll give the 2 button reboot a longer chance to work.

    Thanks - Mark
    11B1P likes this.
  10. #10  
    Biggest differences between the OtterBox and the Aegis:
    1. Aegis not as bulky
    2. Otterbox has screen protector built in (I used a screen protector under it anyway)
    3. Otterbox covers for USB and headphone jack are better. The ones on the Aegis just hang there, instead of having a way to hold them closed, like the OtterBox does. I cut them off because they were more a hinderance than a help, being that after a night of charging, the USB one wouldn't stay closed, and if using headphones that one wouldn't stay closed afterward.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  11. mlcooper54's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    31 Posts
    #11  
    Rich,

    Sounds like the OtterBox Defender is the better product for a construction company. The belt clip swivel failed on 4 or 5 of our OtterBoxes. OtterBox replaced them no charge after we sent them pictures of the failed units. We do have one superintendent trying a Lifeproof box. He's liking it so far. - Thanks - Mark
  12. #12  
    The belt clip was the biggest thing about the OtterBox that I didn't care for. It took me some experimenting to figure out the best direction to have it on my belt to keep it (1) handy to use, and (2) secure from being knocked off when I got in and out of my car. I ended up using a nylon cordura vertical belt case from Amazon that came with the Trident Aegis that I bought. Another down side of the OtterBox in your business would probably be the fact that it is possible to get dirt or a grain of sand inside the built-in screen protector, where it could scratch the screen. Of course, the built-in protector can be removed (but not put back :wink), and go with a stick-on. I haven't heard of the Lifeproof box.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  13. 11B1P's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,099 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,417 Global Posts
    #13  
    Currently Lifproof only has cases for Apple products.

    PM me for more details
  14. #14  
    That's what I thought - looked at their site and didn't see any support for non-fruity devices.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
    The Hustleman likes this.
  15. stephen_az's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,056 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,090 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    I had an OtterBox on my 822 for a short time (I ended up liking the Trident Aegis more), so I know your pain. Yeah, the 2 button reboot works - did it many times. Haven't had to do it yet since I switched to the 928, though.
    No the two button reboot does not always work. It has never worked on my phone and I am not an impatient person re holding down .the buttons. It probably is related o the poor quality control in 822 units.

    As to the OP, the 822 is the second worst phone I have ever owned. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone under any circumstances. Feel free to PM me if you want a list of problems, all of which can be verified through multiple sources. Personally, I would be disinclined to buy another Nokia phone, including the 928, simply because the 822 has been such a piece of garbage.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen_az View Post
    No the two button reboot does not always work. It has never worked on my phone and I am not an impatient person re holding down .the buttons. It probably is related o the poor quality control in 822 units.

    As to the OP, the 822 is the second worst phone I have ever owned. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone under any circumstances. Feel free to PM me if you want a list of problems, all of which can be verified through multiple sources. Personally, I would be disinclined to buy another Nokia phone, including the 928, simply because the 822 has been such a piece of garbage.
    Given your admitted impatience regarding holding the buttons, I have to wonder if you're holding them long enough. It does work.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  17. agentTREIZE's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16 Posts
    #17  
    I prefer the 822 for two reasons: the removable battery and the expandable memory.
  18. R Sakai's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    #18  
    I've actually just upgraded from an 822 to a 928, here's the few things I've noted:

    Battery life on the 928 absolutely smokes the 822. But the 822 had no issues charging from PC USB, 928 has to be wall charged.
    The screen on the 928 is a huge jump in quality. But that resolution increase lowers the frame rate a fair amount in 3d games.
    The 928 wifi is stronger, the sound quality in calls is a huge jump for both sides, and the loudspeaker destroys the 822s.
    The 822, in case the system crashes, can have its battery pulled.
    The 822 only had the 16 gig, but could use an SD card (But only for music and games)
    The 822 with the rubber case I had on it just felt more 'rugged'. The 928 feels like porcelain.
    Camera wise, in all honesty, is not that big of a jump from 822 to 928. They just seem a bit clearer on the 928, not much of a thing though.
    Without having them both in front of me, I remember the 822 being bigger. I know it was for sure a lot wider. I'll definitely say the 928 has a better 'pocket feel'.

    Here's the thing: I dumped the 822 because of the 'other storage' issue. Version still hasn't updated it to receive the storage check app. The 822 would fill it's other storage *rapidly*. The only solution is a full reinstall.
    And like with the battery pulling, I've never, ever had this 928 crash on me. The 822 would just go dead once a week at random.

    Without the big issues above, the 822 was a cool little phone. But the 928 is like fresh air, general usage just seems so much nicer.
    Thanked by:
  19. Teeb omus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    #19  
    As much as I want to get a 928(its just cool looking)...I have yet persuaded myself that there are enough advantages over the 822 I have. Especially if the camera differences are small. My 822 has not had any of the glitches/bugs mentioned...yet.
  20. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,411 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,773 Global Posts
    #20  
    I love the 822. Better then the Z10 I'm using right now. Very, very solid phone, never had any issues. I was rotating between that and my GS3 until I shattered my GS3. Then I used that pretty much non-stop until I started testing out the Z10 for our BB10 environment. The camera is just meh. Not good. GS3 blew it away and I do like the camera on the Z10. There was just too much delay on the 822 camera from when you press the button until it actually takes a picture. It seems like a bug because after you take the first picture the next when is a lot more snappy. However, the moment you are trying to capture usually has passed... :)

    If you knew for sure Verizon was gonna nuke all unlimited data anyway then I'd say go for the 928, but unlimited data is important for a lot of folks. Heck, my wife is still rocking her Trophy and she hardly uses ANY data at all but I can't bring myself to upgrading her phone and losing her data even though she wouldn't even know...
  21. Teeb omus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    I love the 822. Better then the Z10 I'm using right now. Very, very solid phone, never had any issues. I was rotating between that and my GS3 until I shattered my GS3. Then I used that pretty much non-stop until I started testing out the Z10 for our BB10 environment. The camera is just meh. Not good. GS3 blew it away and I do like the camera on the Z10. There was just too much delay on the 822 camera from when you press the button until it actually takes a picture. It seems like a bug because after you take the first picture the next when is a lot more snappy. However, the moment you are trying to capture usually has passed... :)
    I'm with you on that one. For me to go to the 928 from the 822 I would give up unlimited data and sign away another 2 years(I'm now month to month since I got my 828 on Ebay). Can't bring myself to do it ...yet. I never come close to using over 2 gb of data, but still.


    If you knew for sure Verizon was gonna nuke all unlimited data anyway then I'd say go for the 928, but unlimited data is important for a lot of folks. Heck, my wife is still rocking her Trophy and she hardly uses ANY data at all but I can't bring myself to upgrading her phone and losing her data even though she wouldn't even know...
  22. Teeb omus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    #22  
    I'm with you on that one. For me to go to the 928 from the 822 I would give up unlimited data and sign away another 2 years(I'm now month to month since I got my 828 on Ebay). Can't bring myself to do it ...yet. I never come close to using over 2 gb of data, but still.
  23. dakranii's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    394 Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by R Sakai View Post
    I've actually just upgraded from an 822 to a 928, here's the few things I've noted:

    Battery life on the 928 absolutely smokes the 822. But the 822 had no issues charging from PC USB, 928 has to be wall charged.
    Camera wise, in all honesty, is not that big of a jump from 822 to 928. They just seem a bit clearer on the 928, not much of a thing though.
    Without having them both in front of me, I remember the 822 being bigger. I know it was for sure a lot wider. I'll definitely say the 928 has a better 'pocket feel'.

    Here's the thing: I dumped the 822 because of the 'other storage' issue. Version still hasn't updated it to receive the storage check app. The 822 would fill it's other storage *rapidly*. The only solution is a full reinstall.
    You can't charge through USB on the PC? I'm doing it right now. I wonder why it won't work for you.

    Camera wise, I do find it considerably better on two fronts. The low-light camera really is all it's cracked up to be. Amazed by those photos. Also, it's significantly faster at loading up and taking picture. I appreciate that change a lot.

    For size, the 928 is bigger all around, I don't think the 822 is wider. But the 928 is good, I like the size.

    I'm with you, one of the major reasons I went from the 822 to the 928 is the storage check app. I had 8+ GB of other on my 822 that I couldn't get rid of.
  24. R Sakai's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by dakranii View Post
    You can't charge through USB on the PC? I'm doing it right now. I wonder why it won't work for you.
    Yeah, I'd had it plugged in through usb on multiple machines, barely received any charge. Plugged it in through the wall adapter, charges super quick. Figured it worked like the bigger devices in the office here, didn't think much of it. Might have to check into it.
  25. Teeb omus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    #25  
    Regarding the low light pic comparison. When I take a low light pic with the 822 and then edit with auto fix, it lightens it considerably. Not sure if it is 928 quality though. Is this what the 928 is doing automatically ? or is there something superior about the optics?
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 928 vs 822 from an 822 Owner (Not making upgrade)
    By PuckCowboy in forum Nokia Lumia 928
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-26-2013, 05:16 PM
  2. @evleaks Post White 822 w/Charging Pad
    By andrelamont in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-27-2012, 12:52 PM
  3. Live shot of Verizon 822
    By andrelamont in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 10-19-2012, 06:05 PM
  4. 822 "Atlas" caught possibly stopping by FCC shows NFC onboard.
    By ironsoulreaver in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2012, 02:08 AM
  5. Nokia Lumia 822 | Verizon
    By andrelamont in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-07-2012, 07:56 PM

Posting Permissions