30 Day Challenge: From Galaxy S3 to Nokia Lumia 822

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Whats up everyone! Week three of my 30 day challenge with the Nokia Lumia 822! Ive had the phone for 22 days now. Things are starting to get interesting! This week I've got some more information to share with you, both positive and negative, so lets get started!

1. Voice quality is top notch. I had a friend call me on his S3 and I called him on my Nokia 822. We then switched phones. After both talking on each phone for a little while, we both agreed that the Nokia 822 had better sound quality and was louder than the S3.

2. Speaker phone. It is garbage! Don't ever listen to music on this phone in public! You may get made fun of or laughed at. It's probably the worst built in speaker I've ever used on any smartphone. It sounds weak and airy and tinny and distorted all together into one.

3. Facebook. Why do I keep getting notifications on Facebook that I already received a day ago? I'll post a comment, check replies through the Facebook app. Then the next day, I'll get a notification "so and so commented on your post". Yes.... I knew about this yesterday... Not trying to be mean or anything, I just find it a little annoying.

4. Bike ride. So I had to go on a bike ride Saturday and I had to use my Galaxy S3 for an hour because it has Map My Ride. Now before you say, "Well you just broke your 30 day challenge!" No I didn't. Look at it this way: I challenge myself to make salads for thirty days. One day, the grocery store is out of my favorite lettuce. So I had to buy the off brand. No biggie, I still used my Nokia for 23 hours that day.

5. Galaxy S3. What I did get from having my Galaxy S3 turned on for one hour is.... Oh my! Look at all that LAG! Menus Lag! Messages lag! Everything lags! Oh, and hey apps.... It's been a long time, I'll get back to you all in about a week. Haha.

6. Messaging. The subject I want to talk about the most. Microsoft did a really great job on the messaging app for Windows Phone 8 and I truly feel like they nailed it. The keyboard feels fantastic. Messaging threads look top notch. Texting bubbles are classy and sophisticated. "Threads" and "People" pages look really professional. Built in Emoji emoticons are a plus. Going back to texting on a Galaxy S3, and it feels like I'm on a dang child's toy! Text messaging on a Windows Phone 8... I've gotta say, it gets a perfect 10 out of 10.

There ya go. I talked about a lot of things I wanted to share with everyone this week. One more week left to go! Haha! If you like this, post a quick reply letting me know. If you have any questions, post the question below and I'll answer them when I can. So far, after three weeks of the Windows Phone 8, it's still a sexy phone to me. :)

I've enjoyed reading about your experience making the temporary switch. I'm doing the same thing with a 520. I had an S3, but sold it. I do love Android, as I use a lot of Google apps. I had some hardware issues, so that's why I sold it. I'm thinking of another Android, but bought a Lumia 520 because I've always been intrigued with the Windows Phone. The Lumia's price is excellent.

I'm on day 18 using a Windows phone, and so far, it's worked out reasonably well. I do like the phone a lot even though the 520 is an entry level phone. There are some things I miss from a hardware and software standpoint. Maybe if enough WP8 users reach a critical mass, Google will start developing more apps as well as some of the other developers who have Android apps but not WP8.

Last edited:

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Really liking this 30 day examination, as for a twist I've been interested in Android devices, being that I've been on Windows Phone so long, it's nice to hear an open and honest comparison. I have to agree with you about the Lumia's 822 speakers though (for music and etc...) they are quite tinny and distorted. Not horrendous, but that really is one of my few complaints about the phone. Please keep your comments and reviews up. It's refreshing to see users who are willing to be open and explore multiple ecosystems without becoming a ******. :amaze:

teebomus

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Agree in the lag. I recently went to Florida with my family and my sister has a droid, not sure which one. It is really thin and light with a slight hump on one end. It lagged and pretty much slow to do everything. Of course, it has tons of apps, but we continually used my 822 for everything including navigation.
Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

russ8128

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I've been doing the same thing. I got my 822 off eBay after Vzw busted my S3 with a software update. Loved the new battery life - almost made me giddy how much longer my phone would last compared with the S3. With my usage (corp emails all day, phone typically about 60-90 mins a day, apps, internet, etc). Probably a moderate/heavy user. The S3 would die around 2:30 or 3:00 pm after taking it off charge around 6:30 am. Put a new battery in and good until 8:00 or so. The 822 lasts all day no problem. Love the battery apps too that give you a nice clean graph and estimate of remaining battery power. Funny thing Is I bought some extra batteries off of Amazon because of my S3 experience. Hardly ever use them...

Admittedly the screen is not as big or clear but it NEVER bothered me. Camera takes great shots - better than my experience with the S3 - which was pretty good too. From a totally phone perspective the Nokia blows the Samsung out of the water. I live in a fringe area on Long Island and the 822 my calls NEVER drop and the call volume is very loud. The S3 could not compare with this performance. I felt like i was back on my old Motorola (which was super)!!

Nokia Music is great. Good for me and my kids can listen to current music too. All in all I like Windows 8. I have a lot of connection to Google but from a work side, we use Office 365 and the 822 connected immediately to the SharePoint/lync/skydrive/etc that we use. Great stuff!!

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Great posts, BygSii. I have to agree about the loud speaker, it is really bad, even for a phone! But the phone is pretty solid otherwise.

BygSii

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
30 DAY CHALLENGE COMPLETE!

Sold my Samsung Galaxy S3! Here's proof! Samsung Galaxy S3 Black Unlocked Rooted Mint Screen W Extras Verizon 887276011059 | eBay ($320 on eBay, hope link works)

Honestly, I'm going to be looking really hard the next couple of days at the Nokia Lumia 928 and the HTC One for Verizon. What did I learn from my Windows Phone 8 thirty day challenge? It is a ligitiment smartphone with some fresh new features that make this a must have device.

For the conclusion of my 30 day challenge, I will share with you all my own comparison between WP8, Android, and iPhone.

Windows Phone 8 - Smooth Operating system, a texting dream, and best home screen.
1. With its outstanding messaging app that combines Facebook Messenger, Twitter, and SMS into one, it not only looks great, it is the best overall of all three phones. With the added hands free text to speech feature, this is the phone you want for people who text all the time.
2. Best home screen. Live tiles that update automatically. With a single glance, check missed calls, text, mail inbox, weather, ect.
3. Xbox live connectivity. Get notifications of friends when they get online and play your favorite games.
4. Super smooth menus all throughout the phone.
5. Great navigation with Nokia Drive. Speed limit reminders, trail tails if you get side tracked.
6. Great one handed use, battery life, and sound.

Android - Customize everything, best apps and integration avalible, best search options.
1. Customize everything. Keyboard, text, app icons, widgets, clocks, lock screens, ect.
2. Google Now. In my opinion, the best voice search there is of all the phones out there.
3. Best apps avalible. Free wifi tether, best searches for music downloads, best selection of free games, ect.
4. App integration. Click on YouTube link in email, takes you to YouTube app. On facebook and click on a link to eBay, ask you if you want to open the eBay App.
5. Custom mods with a rooted Android. Turn led flash on when holding down the power button? Check. Slide finger left to right of status bar to change the brightness of your screen? Check.
6. More features than the rest. Example, start dialing someone's name in the dial pad, brings up that contacts name. Live wallpapers. Individual sound, notification, music, and system volume controls. Just to name a few.

iPhone 5 - Accessories, retains value, and best phone for music.
1. Accessories, accessories, accessories.
2. Wireless tv streaming of photos, videos, music, games, with Apple TV.
3. Apps better optimized for phone of all three phones. More apps to date than android or WP8.
4. iTunes. A music lovers dream. Instant music results and downloads. Widest selection of Podcast of all three.
5. Integration with iPods, iPads, iMacs, MacBooks. Apps, email, in store purchases, ect.
6. Retains its value. A brand new iphone 5 is $650. Used is $500. Brand new Galaxy S3 is $650. Used is $300. Brand new Windows Phone 8, $550. Used $150.

So there you go! My conclusion of my windows phone 8 thirty day challenge. It's a dang good phone. And the Nokia 822 is a steal at the price it is. I would like to keep this thread open for anyone who wants to share their experiences with windows phones. Have a question? Ask me and I'll answer it. I'll still post something from time to time here if I feel I need to share something. So for now, I'm off to verizon to decide between the latest windows phone or the latest android phone! What? Did he say "Go to Verizon to check out the latest Windows Phone!?" THAT'S RIGHT PEOPLE! :)

cwbcpa71

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Please let us know what you end up choosing. I have really enjoyed my time with the 822 as well. I am about at 30 days myself. I am still not sure which way I will go. I have picked up my S4 a couple times just to play around with it and while I do miss some of the functions of android, I really have become attached to the feel of WP. I am interested to see what Nokia will release next on Verizon. If I stay with WP then I may pick up a 928 from Ebay for now.

Good luck with the decision.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Can't argue with your results, and I love how you put the spin on the good of all three OS's.

I have always thought if Apple had biger screens, the iPhone would be a serious contender for me simply because of the podcass and iTunes store. I respect the ecosystem and the support of Apple. But, boy are they.. ahem... not cheap, and device choice just isn't an option.

I really like Android. I love it's choices, I love it's options. But, it is the Wild West, and it really becomes a muddy mess when it rains. I have always said- manage your Android, or it will manage you.

WP is doing a good job of providing device options (except keyboards, gosh-double-dang-it), and that ecosystem is improving. But we are a distant third with releases. That is annoying.

Again, thanks for your write ups. I really enjoyed them.

BygSii

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Giving everyone the update I promised. I ended up going with the HTC One over the Nokia Lumia 928. Here were the deciding factors.

1. More Apps. Free WiFi tether with FoxFi, Music Paradise, TubeMate, just to name a few bit there are many more I have on android that WP8 doesn't.

2. IR Remote Control. Really cool being able to control my TV and surround sound as home. No Verizon WP8 model has this feature yet.

3. BoomSound. HTC One BoomSound is so totally awesome! Like carrying around a little boom box in your pocket. 928 speaker doesn't compare.

4. Call quality. HTC One is great. Nokia 822 is great. Both offer clear sounds and clear voice. I don't think it was a setting or anything, but the 928 was noticeably quieter when listening to someone.

5. Sexy design. The HTC One is just too sexy of a phone. The 928 ain't bad either, but the winner goes to the HTC One.

6. Web experience. HTC One has the auto fit text feature that, say if I zoom in on some text, it adjust the text to the length of my screen, do I don't have to drag back and forth and back and forth just to read each row of text.

Leaving out the camera talk because the Lumia takes some really great pictures, as far as detail and lighting. The HTC One takes a wider field of view picture than the 928, the front facing camera I have nicknamed "selfie mode" because it has such a wide depth of view, that taking a picture of yourself, you can stand up and get your entire body in the shot.

Don't get me wrong. Windows Phone 8 is a great operating system. Just that it wasn't great enough to make me permanently make the switch.

Like I said before, I'd like to keep this thread open to anyone who has ever tried a new operating system, and to anyone with questions about the different operating systems. Feel free to post your comments, thoughts, comparisons.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Why not get the of both worlds and get an Android and a Windows phone? I plan to purchase an Android once Google makes its announcement about the new Nexus. Then, I'll decide between various Android phones. The Lumia 520/521's are very affordable, and it'll be good to have a backup in case something happens to my primary phone. I know Verizon does not have a variant, but for those on AT&T or T-Mobile, the 520 & 521 can be picked up very cheaply.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm curious about one subject. Didn't the fear of HTC going down the toilet give you cause for concern? Not that it will happen but it appears that HTC is becoming a lesser part of the smartphone market.

raccoon210

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all your write-ups! I love WP but I understand why you got the One. I've heard how gorgeous it was then I saw it in the wild and I was just like wow. I need that! So if that comes to WP like it's rumored I might give up Nokia!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
When someone is as open minded to the OS as you were, tough to say you did not make the right decision. Enjoy the One!! Hope WP makes the strides with the Blue update (8.1) to earn the purchase of buyers like you next time.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
When someone is as open minded to the OS as you were, tough to say you did not make the right decision. Enjoy the One!! Hope WP makes the strides with the Blue update (8.1) to earn the purchase of buyers like you next time.

Indeed. It's great to see how level headed this thread is. Good on ya, BygSii. Enjoy the One, it's a pretty sweet phone.

BygSii

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
The fear of HTC on not being financially where they were a year ago didn't bother me when buying the phone outright. Verizon just now got their flagship phone, and these figures don't account for the fact that the Biggest mobile network in America now sells their number one device. So I expect their profits to rise. But, i also expect that HTC may not release anything software wise passed Android 4.4 for the HTC One. I'm OK with that. I think HTC Sense the way it is, is good enough for years and years to come.

I did have to send my phone off to a trusted guy who can S-Off my HTC One so that i can do whatever i want to it. Which is the great thing about Android, but Verizon has shut down any bootloader unlocks from htcdev.com, so this is the only solution to that. So for the mean time, I'm back to using my Nokia 822. I love the Glance, i love to double tap the screen to unlock. I love the reading back of text messages and responding all with voice commands and not having to push ANY buttons to text people back and forth. It's a great back-up phone, it really is. So i still have my Nokia 822 as my backup phone and I'm keeping it that way.

Last edited:

BygSii

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
It's been a long time! Almost six months! I'm going back to using the Nokia 822 as I am sending my HTC One in to have the camera fixed. Going to be rocking the 822 for a few weeks. What are some things/apps that I have missed? Also, any one get a tether/hotspot to work for someone who has unlimited data?

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
It's been a long time! Almost six months! I'm going back to using the Nokia 822 as I am sending my HTC One in to have the camera fixed. Going to be rocking the 822 for a few weeks. What are some things/apps that I have missed? Also, any one get a tether/hotspot to work for someone who has unlimited data?

You should get the new HTC One (M8). Lumia Black and GDR3 are the latest updates. Some nice features such as being able to turn off vibration. Maybe another week or two until the update to WP 8.1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos