wp8.1 on Nokia Lumia 822

godse573

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello WPCentral! Today I decided to reach out and finally install wp8.1 on my beloved lumia 822. Ive heard mainly bad things about the preview, so I decided that was enough for me to try it out myself . Currently, I am in the installation stage, and I will chronologically update you guys on what is going on and how I think about it. See ya on the flip side...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Worth noting that as with most things, those with problems and/or complaints are the most vocal, so don't worry too much.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
8.1 has been fantastic on my 822. No issues at all for me besides the crappy Music app. Matter of fact I see no need to think about a new phone since it runs so great with the new OS.

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been running 8.1 on my 822 since it was released with no issues whatsoever. I love ❤ the transparent tiles. My wife thinks I'm having an affair with Cortana. (just try asking her what she's wearing sometime). The swipe keyboard is truly amazing. And contrary to what many have expressed, my battery life has gotten better with each update.

Let us know how it works out for you!

godse573

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Alright so let me start by saying this is the reason why I love Microsoft so much. 8.1 on my Lumia 822 is FANTASTIC. I was really, and I mean really skeptical about updating, as this is my daily phone. And lemme tell you, this was by far the best decision I've made in my entire life. 8.1 added literally everything I was waiting for and or wanted on my device. Alright enough of the jibber jabber, lets talk a little about the update.

-it took a little under an hour to update, as it had to do some preupdate updates, and then the actual update itself. All in all it went really smooth.
-battery life has actually improved, it isn't that noticeable, but about 30-45 minutes more than before. And never had heat issues either.
-overall smoothness is actually better as well. Game playing, to just the transitions are great. And I have to say, I liked them before, but the transitions now are really really nice.
-Volume controls and action center are phenomenal. Seriously. I know its "long overdue" blah blah blah but I don't care. Its a different os, why compare? This is so usable as well.
-transparent tiles was ingenious, it works way too well if you'd ask me. It is simply beautiful.
-this update has finally given me hope that this os can legitimately compete with ios and android. It can and it will. Thanks to 8.1, people have good reason to buy a windows phone and not get harassed for it 😃

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm running it on my 822 and it's working great for the most part (X Box music aside) . I tried just updating at first but later decided to do a hard reset. I think doing the reset is the best option if you can do it. Between the reset and the subsequent updates the phone has been running fine.

zrob7

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Just upgraded my 822 to 8.1 and everything is working great. ( I am already running 8.1 on an ATT 1520)
The process took a little longer as the software had to go through a couple of upgrades before doing the 8.1. Could not be happier

supask8a23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
For some reason my 822 updated fine to 8.1 but I don't have Cortana and some other minute things that 8.1 has, I have seen that people said that you cannot get cortana if you aren't in the US but I am and my phone is set to the US, anyone encounter this problem? or fixed it without hard resetting the phone?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For some reason my 822 updated fine to 8.1 but I don't have Cortana and some other minute things that 8.1 has, I have seen that people said that you cannot get cortana if you aren't in the US but I am and my phone is set to the US, anyone encounter this problem? or fixed it without hard resetting the phone?

did you get your speech settings set up right? (open the speech panel in settings)
you may need to download a package in there.

what other minute things are missing?

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

Was this solved? May I ask how?

Eng MeZo

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
My Friend will purchase Nokia lumia 822 From ebay and going to used it as gsm unlocked
any body here tried nokia lumia 822 with ATT or T-Mo on Win 8.1 ?1

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My Friend will purchase Nokia lumia 822 From ebay and going to used it as gsm unlocked

It's been done, I believe you would need to tweak the APN / access point settings. Check out threads regarding using the Icon, 928, 822 (all in same situation) on ATT, etc.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

ATT:
Calls will work fine, SMS will work, Data will work. MMS will not work.
There is a thread with settings for Straight Talk / ATT but they are a hit and a miss. I was not successful.

TMO
Calls will work, SMS will work only when you change cellular to 2G otherwise it will NOT work if you leave the highest speed setting on cellular setting, MMS will NOT work, Data will work on 2G, H and H+.

Better to use this phone on ATT vs TMO as long as you find a work around to MMS. I used WhatsApp.

Eng MeZo

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
thanks for reply

He Going to use his Nokia lumia 822 on Egypt Because he working there , The Egyptian careers have this Frequency
2G : 900 - 1800
(UMTS) : 2100
Calls , SMS Data will work Fine ?!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte