Upgrade to 830 and switch to ATT?

cpyne

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else considering this? 822 is the perfect phone for me, but I'm 2 years in and my USB socket is shot. (Thank god for wireless charging) Hearing that ATT will include Qi on the 830 sealed the deal for me. Unless Verizon announces an 830 version asap, I'm jumping ship 🚢

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
You know you don't have to use an AT&T locked phone on AT&T. I moved all my phones to Consumer Cellular (which uses AT&T phones and the AT&T network). You can buy a AT&T locked phone for alot cheaper than a unlocked phone and save money on the phone and money on your usage. Might want to look into it. After reading the test between the 920 and the 830 I decided I am better off with my 820 as its performance is about the same and it has a SD slot, removeable battery, removeable backcover. I would only be giving up the better camera and screen; but I have always liked the screen on the 820. Going to wait for something better or get a 735 to hold me over (a hell of a lot cheaper) until sometkhing better comes along.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
My contract is up right after New Year's. I was planning on upgrading to the Icon, but that plan died a couple weeks ago along with the Icon.

Hopefully AT&T gets the 930 by then, but if not, I'm gonna have to get bigger hands for the 1520 :smile:

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
March 1st here... I'm going to ATT. Maybe I'll buy a 1520.3, maybe ill wait for W10, maybe ill just suffer with my gimped 928 on GSM. Either way, due to the lack of support from Verizon, I'm jumping ship. Whatever you decide, good luck with it.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I would get a 928

Dear lord, no. I mean, if that's all you can afford, its great. But those old S4 phones are getting quite old. I still have a 1020, its not so smooth anymore.

Wait for W10 at this point! Nothing wrong with the 830, its sexy as hell and a good bargain. I have to think we'll see some new flagships with 805's shortly after the new year. Spring maybe.

I'm not one to always wait and wait for the newest stuff, cause there's always something great coming. I just don't see the current top phones offering anything special, right now. Typical Lumia's, although they do look sexy.

Andrew Fratkin

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
We did exactly this two weeks ago upgrading our 822's because Verizon's support for WP was abysmal. I got the 830 and my wife the 1520. I think the 830 is about $50 - $75 overpriced but other than that it's a great phone and we're both very happy.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else considering this? 822 is the perfect phone for me, but I'm 2 years in and my USB socket is shot. (Thank god for wireless charging) Hearing that ATT will include Qi on the 830 sealed the deal for me. Unless Verizon announces an 830 version asap, I'm jumping ship 🚢
I've been very happy with At&t with my 920. They have been the fastest with WP updates and I love qi charging (I just bought the qi battery backup and I just set it on my plate at night and the phone on top of it and both are charged in the morning). Also my bill just went down $55 and I got a free extra 5g of data bringing the total to 15g between two phones.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
My contract is up right after New Year's. I was planning on upgrading to the Icon, but that plan died a couple weeks ago along with the Icon.

Hopefully AT&T gets the 930 by then, but if not, I'm gonna have to get bigger hands for the 1520 :smile:
My contract on my 920 comes up early February. Sometime in spring the 935 should come out. The rumors for it look awesome!

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Do NOT switch to AT&T unless it's pre-paid. AT&T is an absolute garbage company with blatantly dubious business practices. I can't tell you how many times I've had to call them about incorrect charges on my bill. I didn't even stay with them a full year before canceling my contract (which they FORGET to do and then tried to charge me for another month).

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Do NOT switch to AT&T unless it's pre-paid. AT&T is an absolute garbage company with blatantly dubious business practices. I can't tell you how many times I've had to call them about incorrect charges on my bill. I didn't even stay with them a full year before canceling my contract (which they FORGET to do and then tried to charge me for another month).
Been with them over ten years never had any "dubious" charges. In fact went in to check on something and the salesmen noticed I WA on am old plan and offered to upgrade mine. Went from $166 a month with 6gb of data to $114 a month with 10 GB. Two weeks later they had a special offering 15gb for the cost of 10. Great coverage, great value, and the most WP and quickest updates! Can't complain at all!

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's funny...with carriers (same as TV providers), everyone hates the one they have and says it's the worst. You hardly ever hear anyone say good things about what they have. Verizon is the worst, AT&T is the worst, DirecTV is the worst, Time Warner is the worst. The grass is ALWAYS greener. Let's face it, they're all a pain in the @ss at times lol

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else considering this? 822 is the perfect phone for me, but I'm 2 years in and my USB socket is shot. (Thank god for wireless charging) Hearing that ATT will include Qi on the 830 sealed the deal for me. Unless Verizon announces an 830 version asap, I'm jumping ship 
That's my plan as soon as my Verizon contract is up. I'm fed up with them on all counts and the 830 looks just right as far as I'm concerned.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
It's funny...with carriers (same as TV providers), everyone hates the one they have and says it's the worst. You hardly ever hear anyone say good things about what they have. Verizon is the worst, AT&T is the worst, DirecTV is the worst, Time Warner is the worst. The grass is ALWAYS greener. Let's face it, they're all a pain in the @ss at times lol
While that is completely true, Verizon in particular has been just awful with it's complete lack of support for Windows Phone. All the carriers suck, the trick is to find one that sucks less... :grin:

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
While that is completely true, Verizon in particular has been just awful with it's complete lack of support for Windows Phone. All the carriers suck, the trick is to find one that sucks less... :grin:

That I agree with and I do find pretty annoying. I am on Verizon and think I might end up getting a second line on AT&T. Not sure if I want to fully switch yet as service is still a bit spotty where I am

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
That I agree with and I do find pretty annoying. I am on Verizon and think I might end up getting a second line on AT&T. Not sure if I want to fully switch yet as service is still a bit spotty where I am
Yeah, that's my one worry as well. Coverage. I'm hoping I can trial an 830 for a few days to see what AT&T coverage is like here. Unfortunately Sprint and T-Mo are off the table for me because of poor coverage. AT&T and Verizon are the big dogs around here.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I use O2 in Germany, and while they're pretty much crap as well, as least I'm only paying a fraction of what I was paying with AT&T in the US.

AT&T allowed me to suspend my account, to where I was paying $10 a month to keep the number. When I tried to reactivate it, they wanted to charge me some arbitrary fee to reinstate the number, which I was never told about. They claimed to have e-mailed me about it, but that's a complete lie. I kept all my AT&T e-mails, and never once did they tell me about this. Then, when I went to cancel the contract, they forgot to do it and sent me a bill for another month. It's just ridiculous.

I've also had their customer service reps flat out call me a liar. Garbage, garbage, garbage company.

I never had that issue with Verizon... I only left them because of poor phone selection (basically super-fancy-new-Droid-Explosion or no dice).

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

I switched from my Verizon 822 to the 830 on AT&T.

I'm completely satisfied in all areas. My bill is cheaper, my phone is better and cell coverage is at least just as good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3