Today's updates didn't fix camera bug

Silent Night

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Six months ago I updated my Lumia 822 to Developer Preview 8.1. Since that sad day my camera hasn't worked. Any app that even attempts to use the camera instantly crashes. I was told by a few people including the great Daniel Rubino that the Cyan update would fix this issue. I kept waiting patiently for the update. Over the course of six months my phone began to slowly die. I lost my GPS accuracy and my vibration. Today I downloaded the just released Denim firmware updates (there were two updates). I turned on my phone and tested the vibration, it works fine now. I then held my breath while I put my finger on the camera button. I closed my eyes and started to press down on it slowly. When I opened them I saw "Loading..." and then it went back to my home screen. The app had crashed again. A firmware update would not fix the underlying bug. I slammed my fist down on the phone in a raging fury.

I will truly miss Nokia (Microsoft) but the best phone on Verizon right now seems to be the HTC One for Windows. I would love to go with the Lumia Icon however no SD expansion is a deal breaker. I will miss the Nokia exclusive apps and firmware. Switching carriers isn't an option, if it was I would go for the Lumia 830. This is assuming that a flagship that isn't unnecessarily large with SD support is not released between now and February when my contract is up.

I haven't tested the GPS yet but I will tomorrow.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Did you try reinstalling the app I wonder if that would help. I also have the 822 but never had bug and all my camera's apps work fine.

harish bhat

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
even my lumia 720 has the same problem just one difference is i updated to cyan once it was available OTA. Also soft / hard reset hasnt changed a thing.

Silent Night

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
even my lumia 720 has the same problem just one difference is i updated to cyan once it was available OTA. Also soft / hard reset hasnt changed a thing.

Did updating to Cyan fix it or did it trigger the bug?
I haven't done a hard reset since I've been on Denim but I did one while on Black with Developer Preview and it fixed nothing. I actually can't try doing another one because I am suffering from a separate bug that stops my phone from backing up all the way. Once I get that bug fixed I'll try another hard reset.

Also GPS is still screwy.

daniel153

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I just wanted to second the author's post that I have the exact same issue since about a couple days ago. I just updated to Lumia Denim hoping that it would fix the issue but it didn't. For some reason the camera just exits back into the home screen just like OP's. I've tried a hard reset on lumia black with DP but nothing.

Edit #1: Oh yeah, and it's not just the camera app, but also flashlight apps do not work either...
Edit #2: Just found out I can't download Flashlight XT (on windows store) because "This app uses features [my] phone doesn't have." Upon pressing "learn more," apparently I do not have "camera" installed on my phone.. what?

daniel153

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
On my 822 any apps that use the camera crash on start. Is there any way to fix this? I didn't notice until today I'm running Windows Phone 8.1 Preview For Developers Update 3. It might be an unfixable issue because earlier today I wrecked pretty bad on my skateboard and I might have landed on the phone. The phone looks no different from before the crash and everything but camera apps work fine. Please help!

Lol, OP, I just read your post from half a year ago, and your circumstances sound really similar to mine: I crashed while riding my board and I flew forward and landed on my palms whilst holding the lumia 822. I scuffed the plastic top edge of the phone, however everything else looks fine. That incident might have caused the my camera to stop working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky