How is W10 running on 822?

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm picking up an 822 so I can install the W10 preview - I'm not convinced my ATIV SE will ever see the update or preview. I've heard the guys from All About Windows Phone mention that W10 doesn't run very well on the S4 based devices. Would those of you that have installed it agree?

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm picking up an 822 so I can install the W10 preview - I'm not convinced my ATIV SE will ever see the update or preview. I've heard the guys from All About Windows Phone mention that W10 doesn't run very well on the S4 based devices. Would those of you that have installed it agree?

I'll answer my own question. It's a little sluggish (I'm looking at you notification shade) and kind of buggy (good luck updating apps) but kind of neat to play around with. I'm not overwhelmed by W10. Just doesn't seem much different from 8.1. Hopefully once all of the apps (email, photos, etc) are updated and fixed the overall experience will be better.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I've seen the same thing. I've installed every build and ended up rolling back. This is the first build that was at least stable enough to leave on and use. I'm not certain it's good enough to load onto my 830 though.

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I've seen the same thing. I've installed every build and ended up rolling back. This is the first build that was at least stable enough to leave on and use. I'm not certain it's good enough to load onto my 830 though.

I've moved my SIM back to the ATIV. I'll give W10 another serious go once the next build drops. I really wish MS and Samsung would support the preview on this device.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I've been using build 10512 for almost a week now.
It's still got quite a number of noticeable bugs but I can say that it is in fact quite usable.

Will give more feedback if I've got the time. :wink:

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Just copy and pasting my feedback from the Windows 10 Mobile section

I'm using Build 10512 on my Nokia Lumia 822. This is my very first build and it's sort of a love and hate thing.

As a daily driver, with one word, the best I can say about it, is that it's "usable".
It is not without hiccups though.

The first and most obvious thing is when you turn on the screen, the time takes about 3 seconds to load. Thankfully you can unlock the lock screen even if the time did not load.
Secondly, the action center is sluggish, occasionally it works, and other times it's delayed or just does not appear at all.
A couple of crashes are expected. But enough about the bugs. How about Windows 10 Mobile itself?

I'm just really wondering why they're trying to redesign something that is not broke.

Pros

- Tile Transparency option, giving consumers options for design is always a good thing.
- Categorized settings
- Recently Added is great on the App list
- Texting from the action center.
- Office apps are moving in the right direction
- EDGE!! It loads sites that the old IE11 never did.
- Groove is headed in the right direction
- Calculator is now a Scientific Calculator and a Converter as well.
- Outlook Mail (but it has no black theme)

Cons

- A lot of the basic apps have splash screens on initial boot up. Even Calculator and Alarms and Clock
- People Live Tile is now circles instead of squares, MS should give us the option to choose.
- The photos app, I'm not so sure about this.
- Outlook Calendar does not have a month view and it has no black theme.
- Options upon options, it even gives you options to choose if Alarms and Clock can run in the background (Is this even necessary?)
- No default homepage option in Edge
- Cortana uses a white background and no option to change it.
- No way to rearrange the settings in the action center.
- the freaking STORE!!! what did they do to it. It's slow and just seems to be a mess.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Here's my impressions for the most recent build.

So here we are. Build 10581, this is my fourth Build and it is at the point where I can finally recommend it to moderate Windows Phone fans as a daily driver.

In the last four Builds I would always say that it is "usable" but still hesitant to recommend it as a daily driver.

On my Nokia Lumia 822 the OS flies and I'd dare say it matches the speed we enjoyed in 8.1
I always thought the old hardware of the 822 is to be blamed but it is apparent to me now that it is not.

Loading.... Resuming screens? Begone!!!
Overlong splashscreens? solved, it's more like the 8.1 Calendar app now in terms of speed.
Crashing apps? Almost all solved. Happened to one or two apps. Nothing too glaring that would hamper your experience.
Blank Tiles? No more
Crashing when switching from the Camera app to the Photos app? All clear
Microsoft EDGE slow and crashing? I like it better now than IE11 on WP8.1, it was hella fast the other day when I did a bank transfer on 3G.
Delay when swiping the Action Center? Very smooth now.
Battery Life? I think it's similar now to what it was back in 8.1

Definitely the best Build so far and one that I can wholly recommend.

All is not perfect though and here are my personal quibbles.

People App - An essential app in keeping your contacts and I think it sucks compared to the 8.1 People App.
- It might actually be the slowest launching app of the bunch.
- I still hate the color background when viewing a contact.
- Contact picture takes a second to load when launching the app.
- Bland experience when swiping to groups.
- I can still feel some underlying bugs in the app.

The Store
- It actually performs really well and has an acceptable speed but still not up there with the 8.1 Store
- Most of my complaints for this app really is pure aesthetics. The old 8.1 Store is IMO designed to really make one enjoy browsing for apps and it does trigger my spending habits because I have purchased quite a handful of apps.
- I really wish they would bring back Panoramic swiping when looking between app categories.
- Checking for Updates takes about a minute, in 8.1 it was almost instant.

Finally, I find it baffling that the Messaging, Settings, Mail and Calendar app uses a grey background color instead of true black like before.

Still, Highly Recommended.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte