Lumia 822 has finally died. WHAT NOW!?

Ryan.o

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
After almost 3 years of abuse, my durable 822 has finally bit the dust. I'm on Verizon (family plan) and here are my options as I see it:
(1) Get a Lumia Icon for FREE with upgrade from microsoft.com,
(2) Get a Lumia 735 for $30 with upgrade from Verizon,
(3) become a defector and go the Android route,
(4) become a defector and go the AT&T route (again, I'm on a family plan, so this may cause some problems), or
(5) become a crazy person and wait for Verizon to support a new flagship.

I'm not ready to give up on Windows phones, so getting the Icon seems to be the obvious route, but I feel like there's something I'm not seeing if they're offering it for free. I'm also a big fan of glance screen, which I would be missing. That and no SD card support are points against the Icon. Dat processor tho....

The 735 seems like a great phone.

So I guess the only thing swaying my decision is the power of the Icon and the ability to yell at Cortana and have her listen (passive voice activation).

Any advice or shared personal experience is welcome!

(Side note: I dropped my 822 SEVERAL times on all types of surfaces....without a case, and the screen doesn't have a single crack! Props to the late Nokia and Gorilla Glass for that!)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The 735 also doesn't have Glance by the way. I don't know why it's offered for free, all I can think of is maybe it's age? That's just a guess and not fact. There's been talk about Verizon possibly supporting other non-Lumia devices though.

Ryan.o

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I guess that's an option, too, but both the Icon and 735 seem to be better phones, and I can't get an 822 through Microsoft or Verizon, so it would probably be more expensive.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Why not buy a used ICON, 735 or 928 to bridge the lack of new WP's. Either of these would give you as good or better use than wasting an upgrade on a new ICON or 735. I won't even lower myself to recommending an Android of iphone.

This options allows you to stay on your present plan and give you time to see what is coming on Verizon.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I guess that's an option, too, but both the Icon and 735 seem to be better phones, and I can't get an 822 through Microsoft or Verizon, so it would probably be more expensive.

I think she was referring to a 3rd party vendor, such as eBay, Amazon or Craigslist.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Or take all your lines to cricket wireless (if AT&T coverage is good near you), pay less monthly and go the unlocked route

Ryan.o

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input everyone.

I think I'm going to go with the 735 with an upgrade. If I can hang on to an 822 for 3 years, I'll have no trouble waiting at least another 2 for a newer flagship. I also can't justify spending $150+ on a used phone.

As far as Icon v. 735, the SD card support is the deciding factor for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99