Why is the Nokia Lumia 830 so expensive?

Exoma

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
It has the same CPU, Chipset and GPU as the Samsung Galaxy S3.
Has Microsoft given any explanation as to why they've priced it as double the price of an S3?

I would assume it's a much stronger product when it comes to build quality and of course the operating system has better usability, but does anyone else find it frustrating?

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Has Microsoft given any explanation as to why they've priced it as double the price of an S3?

I would assume it's a much stronger product when it comes to build quality and of course the operating system has better usability, but does anyone else find it frustrating?

Why are you comparing a mid ranger of 2014 to a flagship of 2012?
I mean what is happening with these comparisons??
Of course the ~3 year old flagship will be cheaper than this. Also the S3 won't even get new updates due to hardware limitations,whereas the 830 is guaranteed to get Windows 10.
Let me tell this too, if you or anyone else think that the S400 is weaker or not powerful,its wrong. It's way powerful than the dual core S4 on the 920,925 etc.
It's faster in taking pictures heck the 630 is way faster than 920 in taking pics.
The OS is super smooth and with Lumia Denim,things get way great.
The rest is up to you but to say that why a 2012 phone is cheaper than a 2014 phone is just stupid. No offense btw

flattie

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

A little patience may help. The Lumia 930 had already had around 25-30% of its sim-free price taken off. That's after just a few months.

Admittedly it is weird seeing less than ?10 difference in price between the 930 and 830 on Amazon right now, though.

Exoma

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Why are you comparing a mid ranger of 2014 to a flagship of 2012?
I mean what is happening with these comparisons??
Of course the ~3 year old flagship will be cheaper than this. Also the S3 won't even get new updates due to hardware limitations,whereas the 830 is guaranteed to get Windows 10.
Let me tell this too, if you or anyone else think that the S400 is weaker or not powerful,its wrong. It's way powerful than the dual core S4 on the 920,925 etc.
It's faster in taking pictures heck the 630 is way faster than 920 in taking pics.
The OS is super smooth and with Lumia Denim,things get way great.
The rest is up to you but to say that why a 2012 phone is cheaper than a 2014 phone is just stupid. No offense btw

Welll, they have the EXACT SAME CPU, GPU, RAM and chipset...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

its not unreasonable to wonder why they aren't priced similarly!
I'd peg it as simply the market acting, since the GSIII is simply older. (I wouldn't worry about updates as much on the SIII due to its popularity (ROMs!) etc.)
A couple years ago I picked up a relatively old refurbished ThinkPad that I still carry around to this day. At around the same cost as a bargain-bin new laptop, I still think I've gotten a better deal.
Also consider the condition of the GSIII, make sure you're comparing new and new.

The Lumia 830 is a new device, the price is bound to go down (thinking of the Lumia 521, which has since dropped to half its launch price. ($140? - $70~)
Also, the chipset doesn't tell the whole story. Display tech is different etc, so it's likely costs were cut or quality improved in various ways between the devices. Think of the materials used, design, manufacturing methods etc etc.

But even then, as I've said, age can put a sizeable dent into prices (especially as there are newer models like the S4, S5 that take and push down the price of the SIII)

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

No. As I stated early indirectly,the galaxy s3 has a dual core S4 processor which is found in the 920,925,1020 etc, whereas the 830 has a quad core S400 which is much powerful than this 3 year old chip.
Trust me , don't just just S400 because its a low number. It's powerful than than what you can find in the other older lumias. The 630,which is a low end phone,has a same processor S400 and the 1020 which has a S4, takes faster photos and has CAF in it. The 1020 doesn't. Even in benchmarks the 630 is equally or at some point more ahead than 920,1020. These latter were flagship of their time but their slow.
So don't judge it by the processor. Judge it by its performance.

RAM is same that I can tell you for sure.

Exoma

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
No. As I stated early indirectly,the galaxy s3 has a dual core S4 processor which is found in the 920,925,1020 etc, whereas the 830 has a quad core S400 which is much powerful than this 3 year old chip.
Trust me , don't just just S400 because its a low number. It's powerful than than what you can find in the other older lumias. The 630,which is a low end phone,has a same processor S400 and the 1020 which has a S4, takes faster photos and has CAF in it. The 1020 doesn't. Even in benchmarks the 630 is equally or at some point more ahead than 920,1020. These latter were flagship of their time but their slow.
So don't judge it by the processor. Judge it by its performance.

RAM is same that I can tell you for sure.

Okay so, I feel like an ***** because I still don't get it...

According to GSMArena, the SIII and the Lumia 830 have the same specs.

Lumia 830 vs Galaxy S3
Nokia Lumia 830 vs. Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III - GSMArena.com

Lumia 830 vs Galaxy S3 Neo (Exact same specs, except Neo is clocked a little faster)
Nokia Lumia 830 vs. Samsung I9300I Galaxy S3 Neo - GSMArena.com

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Okay so, I feel like an ***** because I still don't get it...

According to GSMArena, the SIII and the Lumia 830 have the same specs.

Lumia 830 vs Galaxy S3
Nokia Lumia 830 vs. Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III - GSMArena.com

Lumia 830 vs Galaxy S3 Neo (Exact same specs, except Neo is clocked a little faster)
Nokia Lumia 830 vs. Samsung I9300I Galaxy S3 Neo - GSMArena.com

No you don't need to get confused. It's simple.
Basically Samsung has a habit of releasing their flagship phones in two version, one comes with the Qualcomm chip and the other comes with own made chip, the Exynos.
The Qualcomm is for majorly for the USA and mostly more other countries whereas the Exynos version is mostly found in their home country,so it might be tough for you to find Exynos version.
So if your living in USA or Europe etc but not in South Korea, you'll find yourself with a Qualcomm version meaning the dual core S4 processor. The latter will have the Exynos version which is a quad core. That's it.

akoj

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
You should compare L830 with Moto G (2014). They have the same CPU, same amount of ROM and RAM, same screen size and resolution. L830 has a better camera. L830 costs almost twice as much as new Moto G. WTF M$, WTF?
It is sad that L830 has the SAME CPU as L630. Regarding GPU, Adreno 305 is weaker than Adreno 225 that can be found L820, and it has to push bigger resolution. -.-

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You should compare L830 with Moto G (2014). They have the same CPU, same amount of ROM and RAM, same screen size and resolution. L830 has a better camera. L830 costs almost twice as much as new Moto G. WTF M$, WTF?
It is sad that L830 has the SAME CPU as L630. Regarding GPU, Adreno 305 is weaker than Adreno 225 that can be found L820, and it has to push bigger resolution. -.-

before we jump to screaming WTF, there's more to the cost of a phone than just raw specs.
There's a whole boatload of factors. Materials used? Subsidized by say, Google? Implementing those specs is different. Durability could vary, etc etc.

akoj

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I know, but TWICE as much? This is the most expensive phone running on S400 - it even cost more than One M8 Mini.
This phone was presented as flagship, and it is priced like one(10% cheaper than L930), so I expect flagship performance. S400 is a NO-NO. Why didn't they choose S615 which costs about 10% more than S400?

BTW, Moto G isn't subsidized in Europe.

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
You know that Motorola is now owned by Lenovo, a Chinese company. Like One Plus, Xiomi and other Chinese companies, they can produce cheap handphones etc.

I know, but TWICE as much? This is the most expensive phone running on S400 - it even cost more than One M8 Mini.
This phone was presented as flagship, and it is priced like one(10% cheaper than L930), so I expect flagship performance. S400 is a NO-NO. Why didn't they choose S615 which costs about 10% more than S400?

BTW, Moto G isn't subsidized in Europe.

akoj

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm talking about prices in Europe. At the begining, L920 was priced around 800$.

L930 is now about 600$, L830 around 550$ and L735 around 350$.

Lenovo doesn't own Motorola, not yet. Xiaomi and One Plus aren't budget OEMs. Their phones are not cheap.

afcor

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Do you really think that you know better about design, engineering, marketing, supply chain management, market analysis, etc., etc., etc. than do the multitudes of very smart people paid by Microsoft to determine all the factors about which you are complaining? I somehow doubt it.

Here, you are presented with a choice and a privilege: you can either choose to buy this phone, or not. You can choose to buy this phone or you can choose to buy a Moto G. It's your choice! If you don't agree with the choices made by the multitudes at Microsoft, simply move along.

akoj

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
You didn't get my point but nevermind. I would move along but there isn't any WP model on market now that suits my needs(because L830 isn't what MS claims it is - affordable flagship). Now, I'll have to wait for Lumia 850 or One M8(if it arrives to EU).

afcor

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I get your point just fine. You want a phone with something approximating the most powerful specs on the market, at a price point matching a mid-range phone. Unfortunately, this phone doesn't really exist. The phone in question currently has the best combination of features (specs, newest OS, etc.) that Microsoft offers. This pretty much makes it their current flagship. Affordable? Well, that's a matter of perspective. It seems that there are plenty of people in these forums who have deemed it affordable enough for them to pay a premium for an unlocked version from a 3rd party vendor, thus making Microsoft's marketing slogan accurate. There really isn't anything to complain about then. And, see? You've already moved along now, by determining that you'll have to wait for something else. Good job!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3