Lumia 830 back plates/shells

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
As we know, the back covers on the Lumia 830 are exchangeable. I like all the colors both they and the flip shells come in (I ordered my phone in orange and plan do get the other back plate shells when they're available) but I'd really love it if Nokia/MS Mobile came out with a bright yellow shell/back cover like they did for the Lumia 630/635. It would look so strikingly beautiful with that metal trim, almost Oregon Ducks like lol. But seriously, bright (or neon) yellow with silver/metal trim is such a beautiful combination.

Any chance Nokia/MS Mobile releases more color options later?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I doubt they'll surprise us with more colors, but its quite possible. (IIRC the green 1520 wasn't announced until later?)

But I would think the best bet is either painting or otherwise colorizing a back or trying to make your own.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
That's not a bad idea. Worst case scenario you do a bad job and ruin the plate, not your phone. I need to figure out how I'm gonna do this... I want a bright yellow, same color Nokia used for one of the 630/635 shells (except I'd want a matte finish).

joao91

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I am more concerned with the fact that the official flip shell doesn't protect the phone's corners. A 3rd party case would not allow for qi charging right?

MrPhilicorda

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
That's not a bad idea. Worst case scenario you do a bad job and ruin the plate, not your phone. I need to figure out how I'm gonna do this... I want a bright yellow, same color Nokia used for one of the 630/635 shells (except I'd want a matte finish).

If you go to a paint store I'm sure you could get a colour sample palette which you could use to compare to a 630/635 if you can get your hands on one with that specific colour you're looking for.

Since a back plate would be very susceptible to scratches the job would have to be done properly with sanding (fine grit), priming and then a few layers of colour.

kullalishka

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I want a secondary back plate too. Mine is black and i want to buy the original orange or green for it. Does anyone knows where i can buy this?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyone try making a custom color for the back shell/battery cover? I have an extra white shell and I'd like to make some kind of bright yellow but I'd like to see if anyone did this successfully yet.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyone try making a custom color for the back shell/battery cover? I have an extra white shell and I'd like to make some kind of bright yellow but I'd like to see if anyone did this successfully yet.

I don't know if its the same material, but I saw a thread somewhere here where someone dyed their Lumia 521's white back cover to a yellow shade or something. IIRC, it didn't look half bad.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if its the same material, but I saw a thread somewhere here where someone dyed their Lumia 521's white back cover to a yellow shade or something. IIRC, it didn't look half bad.

Thanks for the response. I searched for the thread you were referring to and found it. Unfortunately it involves dipping the shell in dye, which would probably ruin the wireless charging coiling on the inside of the 830's cover. Also, it appears someone tried the same 521 process with their 1320 shell and it didn't work. I guess the 1320's shell is of a different material.

I think I would need a solution that involves spraying the paint on. I re-watched that old video of the 920 being colored with Duplicolor Metalcast paint but I'm not sure if that process would be the same for this shell, which is thinner with a matte finish, unlike the thicker, glossy 920 shell.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would think the coil can be removed prior to dipping.
Heck, if it was temporarily dye-proofed with tape on that part, it might work.

Maybe something like Plastidip could help? (basically rubber paint)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mietaz