Lumia 830 Bugs + Defects

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ahoy, so you've gotten a brand new, or in the future, a not-so-new 830 in your possession!

Is it behaving oddly, is something just not right? This is the place for discussion of software and hardware issues!

[NOTE]First, some troubleshooting tips

Soft Reset
A soft reset is the first thing to do when you have an issue.
Press and hold the power and volume down buttons for 10-15 seconds or until the phone vibrates.
It's akin to restarting your PC and does a bit more cleaning over a normal off/on restart.

Hard Reset
The last resort, if an issue persists beyond a hard reset, your issue is all but certain to be a hardware issue, requiring service.
A hard reset resets your device to factory condition, erasing all data. (so keep a good backup!)
Always nice when you want to start with a clean slate.
Settings > about > reset your phone
[/NOTE]
Remember, be descriptive!
"need help with thing" is a lot less informative than say, "my phone says error X when I do Y"
(Not the best example, but the gist is there)

Koki.v3

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I guess I'll start, have any of you noticed that pushing on the display with a bit more force than just tapping and swiping causes some parts of the display to distort? Kinda like when you push your finger on an LCD monitor. Mine does that around the edges. It's not a big deal, just something I noticed.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I hope this phone turns out to be bug-free. It's still very early days, but it is sounding very promising. Oh, and for future reference, lack of Qi on AT&T models is not a bug.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I guess I'll start, have any of you noticed that pushing on the display with a bit more force than just tapping and swiping causes some parts of the display to distort? Kinda like when you push your finger on an LCD monitor. Mine does that around the edges. It's not a big deal, just something I noticed.
Mine does the same...but if you press normal you see nothing.

My 2 little problems: Cover is not perfectly closing in the top corner, and makes some noises. Plus that ring on the top (headphone jack) was coming off imediately.

Well, thats a brand new device. Still expensive and the production is not YET perfect. I wait few weeks for price drop and better quality. But i will buy it again, this one goes back.

WP_20141009_003.jpgWP_20141009_005.jpg

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't look like you're closing the back cover correctly. I noticed many people doing that in the first hands-on videos at IFA. Takes some getting used to, but everything clicks into place very securely.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't look like you're closing the back cover correctly. I noticed many people doing that in the first hands-on videos at IFA. Takes some getting used to, but everything clicks into place very securely.

you are right, i didnt. But still...now its closed and looks good, but at the same position you can press it down and it makes some noise.

MrPhilicorda

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I already posted this in another thread but since this seems to be the official bugs & defects thread, here we go:

I got a defective 830 where the screen came off at the top left corner. In other words, there is gap between the glass and the metal frame. You can see he backlight bleeding through. This unit went back and I'm waiting for replacement now.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
That back cover takes some fiddling with to get right. It took me several tries to figure it out. Basically I now start and the top center and work outward to the two top corners, then down both sides and then the bottom.
Mine fits perfectly, looks great, and makes no noise.

:)
Fred

you are right, i didnt. But still...now its closed and looks good, but at the same position you can press it down and it makes some noise.

thangpqfuhl

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
My 830 ( Vietnam variant ) drains battery a lot. The battery drains from fully charged to 99% in just 5 mins after unplug the adapter. From 7am to 12pmm it reduces from 100% to 50% with normal use ( cuz that time i'm in class ) and some basic apps allowed to run in background. Some other users also report that the same problem happens with other 830 and 730, even after replacing the battery

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
My 830 ( Vietnam variant ) drains battery a lot. The battery drains from fully charged to 99% in just 5 mins after unplug the adapter. From 7am to 12pmm it reduces from 100% to 50% with normal use ( cuz that time i'm in class ) and some basic apps allowed to run in background. Some other users also report that the same problem happens with other 830 and 730, even after replacing the battery

Define basic apps, it sounds less like a bug and more like some app and/or setting not letting the phone go into deep sleep.

thangpqfuhl

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Facebook ( stable version ) , Skype, Converge ( news ), 6snap, instagram, Music, WPCentral, Here Drive + ( never used ). I just restore my phone and now it drain even faster. From fully charged to 98% in just 5 mins while being in idle state

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I would stop the apps completly and see what happends with the drain, if it goes away then start up one app at a time & see when the phone stops going to deep sleep.

Koki.v3

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Battery life on my 830 is absolutely excellent. I commute to and from work approx 2h daily while I listen to music, browse twitter, facebook, readit and chat on WhatsApp.

I have noticed about 10% drain an hour with this kind of heavy usage on 3G. While idle the drain is about 5% per 8h cuz that's what I noticed when I unplugged the phone before I went to sleep and checked it in the morning.

At the end of the day I still have 30-50% left and I use the phone quite a lot at work too.

Definitely check your Cortana and Here Drive settings (even if you haven't used it at all), anything to do with location.

On an unrelated note, I have noticed that very rarely when I get a facebook sound notification, this sound is very distorted, almost as if the speaker was broken or the sound was slowed down or something. So far this happened 3 times but it doesn't do it again when the next notification comes in... Just weird, anybody else experiencing this?

William Mjema

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
The 830 review is great. However I have some doubts with the battery cover. It looks just like the Nokia 95 cover, which after some time, the hinges broke off and the cover would not hold. Any one with more views on this?

MrPhilicorda

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
The 830 review is great. However I have some doubts with the battery cover. It looks just like the Nokia 95 cover, which after some time, the hinges broke off and the cover would not hold. Any one with more views on this?

The battery cover seems a little flimsy when it's detached from the phone but I think it feels very solid when it is properly in place. Even if the small hooks snap off at some point it's not too expensive to buy a new cover. I have no concerns about this myself.

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes I encountered a problem with double tap to wake. But I guess it is an OS problem because I had the problem with 820 too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills